Thread: Joystick gurus - any new ideas for getting control assignments to stick?

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    484.9 KB

Joystick gurus - any new ideas for getting control assignments to stick?

Got a new TM Warthog, new Blitz/DW install on a new PC; no prob recognizing and assigning keys but I have the 'unplug the stick, lose all the key assignments' prob. I also use this laptop for other stuff so can't leave the flight kit plugged in all the time.

Tried everything here wout success so far:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...t=27288&page=2

Am using the confuser.ini backup workaround each time I start DW to keep my key assignments but would love to not have to do that.

Wouldn't mind if I could just load a user profile save in the joystick config screen inside the game, but that doesn't seem to stick either.

Any new hacks to try?

Heiny

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Joystick gurus - any new ideas for getting control assignments to stick?

I have this issue happening regularly after Blitz, 5.0.

As the "N" know "fixes" may work or not, my 2 minutes "band-aid" solution now is:

Notepad++

Disclaimer: My "explanation" may looks length and complicated, but in practice the procedure is simple and after get used take "a minute" to fix, until other more "bullet proof" fix is know.

Assuming that you already have unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for all HID devices in Device Manger".

First thing to do is make a backup copy of funcional assignments (sorry if you don't have one), using SAVE As button in Controls, saving with custom name,
    example as "zBackup.ini - "z" put the file as the last in Documents\1C Soft...dover\ making easy to find there.

Then make habit (for avoid frustration of launch a flight and have no controls.) that first thing to do after start CloD (and other game that have issues,e.g. Il-2:GB) is go in Options Controls > Axes and check if joystick assignment for axes are OK -test watching the green bars movement; or are blank. If are blank you will fix here.

So, start CloD look in Options >Controls > Axes. No joystick assignments?

Assign an joystick (or throttle) axis for a unused command, e.g. "Leading-Edge Flaps", hit APPLY. This will inform you what ID Windows are using for you joystick today.

CloD-missing axes.jpg

Alt+Tab, go for "Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"
    right click over ConfUser.ini, choose open with Notepad++. Can use Windows Notepad, but Notepad++ is more "chic".

Look at end of the file, there you have the a sole joystick assignment:

_VKB-Sim_Gladiator_-ABD81779+AXE_Y=1leslats

Copy the number, in example ABD81779.

Now open your backup copy "zBackup.ini"..., hit Ctrl+F (Ctrl+H in Windows Notepad), place the ABD81779 in "Replace", look at end of file for the old number, e.g. 41DC2137 copy and past in "Find", hit the button "replace all". Save the file.

CloD-replace.jpg

Alt+Tab back for CloD and use the button "LOAD" and point for "zBackup.ini", hit Apply. Voilà! You have controls.

Test moving an axis and watching the green bars, then use SAVE AS and update your backup.

Repeat for throttle, for pedal is more easy reassign axes.

Axes tuning made in Controls is not lost, because the only thing that change was Windows ID number (the ABD81779). Neither keys assignments.

Create a shortcut for "Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" speed up things.

BTW - I have notice that ID number don't change much, this ABD81779 was used previous, so I start making backup with number, eg. zABD81779.ini, what may avoid use Notepad in future.

And today Windows change my (VKB) joystick ID number, but not for (VKB) pedal...
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-16-2020 at 12:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Axes MIA today again... So far so good.

On my computer the ID has alternated - for a while, between two numbers, which I have backed up.

CloD-AxesMIA.jpg
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-18-2020 at 19:59.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    484.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Axes MIA today again... So far so good.

On my computer the ID has alternated - for a while, between two numbers, which I have backed up. : D

CloD-AxesMIA.jpg
    Wow that's crazy. I've been cutting and pasting a backup confuser.ini, seems to work so far.

TF folks ... is this on the bugfix list?

H