Thread: Rocker Paper, Shotgun Desert Wings:Tobruk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Rocker Paper, Shotgun Desert Wings:Tobruk

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Re: Rocker Paper, Shotgun Desert Wings:Tobruk

I think "Fair" is a better description.

IMO its what Sandclod needs more than unqualified fanbois praise. Perhaps its just me but I tend to base buying decisions on the relatively few reviews like this and ignore extreme the pro and hate landfill that tends to clog up the user rating pages.

Sadly I believe many people unfamiliar with a product are more prone to take onboard the opinion some cretin who cant perfrom a simple key bind but can tant like a 2 year old with a thistle up its butt these days especially in the absence of good well balanced reviews.

"Whoa guys you rock/smashed it/are awsum" or calling out the said cretin are likely of little value in countering the spectre of the "Entitled idiot brat".

I know TFS are currently asking for reviews at present and im sure they would prefer fair over blindly saccharine.
    Last edited by BOO; Aug-17-2020 at 14:21.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

3. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Don't get it Boo.

I read that.

Reads like someones thoughts on a few sorties.

I liked it.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Don't get it Boo.

I read that.

Reads like someones thoughts on a few sorties.

I liked it.
    I liked it too. Im sayin that its the kind of stuff that helps.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOO View Post
    You are right this kind of write up is much better than a fanboy this is the greatest thing since sliced bread review. Sadly within hours a rather long winded "I told you this would be crap" review hit the Steam site. Not much time to soak in the good and not so good aspects of the DLC but written away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ohms View Post
    Sadly within hours a rather long winded "I told you this would be crap" review hit the Steam site. Not much time to soak in the good and not so good aspects of the DLC but written away.
    I have no doubts that TFS were fully anticipating a review like that from said unnamed individual.

No matter how excellent the end product of Desert Wings he was always going to be vocally negative on as many different mediums as he can pollute. The funny thing is that this person regularly seems to be happily spending several hours a day in multiplayer playing the product that he hates so much. Must be taking one for the team or something!

8. Likes Ohms, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Ohms View Post
    You are right this kind of write up is much better than a fanboy this is the greatest thing since sliced bread review. Sadly within hours a rather long winded "I told you this would be crap" review hit the Steam site. Not much time to soak in the good and not so good aspects of the DLC but written away.
    That was always going to happen sadly. Which is why a balanced and well reasoned review that also references how clod makes you "feel" (good and bad) is such a vital thing. It allows people to make an informed choice and, when confronted with cloddities go "ok - I expected that". At £55 people need to feel that they have been honestly led. If they do they are, in turn, more likely to leave a decent review themselves surely. If they are expecting Desert Nirvana as some for the more extreme positive reviews seem to feel sandclod is they are likely to be sorely dissppointed and react accordingly. Especially those reviews that forget the obstacle field that is setting up the game first time AND the additional cost of buying the base product that is generally supported engine wise but no longer being actively refined map wise.

A well thought out review will also help people understand what is good about the game, where to look for the fun in it and, just as importantly, where not to bother looking at least at present. Without giving people an understanding of what is good and why they make apple/orange comparisons with stuff like BoX (a contest in which the the superficial (and not so superficial) attractions of BoX's more up to date user experience will invariably win out, at least initially).

Looking at some reviews out there you'd be forgiven for thinking TFS have delivered the perfect product, devoid of flaws and with a new user experience out of the blocks akin to buying a Bentley (assumption - Ive never actually bought a Bentley but i imagine its a pretty sweet experience). That really helps no-one and actually detracts from the better balanced reviews. Id go as far as to say it may even provoke negative feelings.

10. Likes Ohms, 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

I will write a review later in the week or until TFS release the patch with the 109 corrections as spoken by Buzz. Then it would be a fair reflection of the DLC.
    Yes Pans I too have seen the author online.

Neil

12. Likes Pans, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

That was always going to happen sadly. Which is why a balanced and well reasoned review that also references how clod makes you "feel" (good and bad) is such a vital thing. It allows people to make an informed choice and, when confronted with cloddities go "ok - I expected that". At £55 people need to feel that they have been honestly led. If they do they are, in turn, more likely to leave a decent review themselves surely. If they are expecting Desert Nirvana as some for the more extreme positive reviews seem to feel sandclod is they are likely to be sorely dissppointed and react accordingly. Especially those reviews that forget the obstacle field that is setting up the game first time AND the additional cost of buying the base product that is generally supported engine wise but no longer being actively refined map wise.

A well thought out review will also help people understand what is good about the game, where to look for the fun in it and, just as importantly, where not to bother looking at least at present. Without giving people an understanding of what is good and why they make apple/orange comparisons with stuff like BoX (a contest in which the the superficial (and not so superficial) attractions of BoX's more up to date user experience will invariably win out, at least initially).

Looking at some reviews out there you'd be forgiven for thinking TFS have delivered the perfect product, devoid of flaws and with a new user experience out of the blocks akin to buying a Bentley (assumption - Ive never actually bought a Bentley but i imagine its a pretty sweet experience). That really helps no-one and actually detracts from the better balanced reviews. Id go as far as to say it may even provoke negative feelings.
    If I understand you correctly, I would agree with you.

Both on the seller side, and on the consumer side.

Honesty is the best policy.

As a seller of a product I want to know what people liked/didn't like honestly, so I know where to concentrate efforts.

As a consumer who is thinking of spending my hard earned money on a product, I wont to know as much as I can to see if it's what I'm looking for at that time.

If the product isn't what I'm looking for, but the seller was honest, it's a 99% change I'll be back.

Thank's everyone who bough the game, and thank's x2 for your time in giving it an honest review.

14. Likes danperin, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_yotheguy View Post
    If I understand you correctly, I would agree with you.
    I'll add in a few "ehs" and a couple of "aboots" - that may help

I'm still coming up with a form of words - I dont want the cloddities that still exist to overshadow the good work but I do feel they need to be disclosed.

16. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Ahh... got ya.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey