Thread: Trying NOT to be a wet blanket but..

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Trying NOT to be a wet blanket but..

I love this sim, I really do. I want it to succeed so that it can continue to grow. I love the new stuff and some of the core/base issue fixed or improved upon as well but..

..given the length of time Tobruk was in development I do have to question some of the issues that remain. I just flew the single mission 'Aerial Battle - Dover' and still see SEVERAL of the issues that takes away from this sim. In no particular order:

1. Mirrors still continue to be an issue
    2. Knocked the tail fin off a 109 and it just floated there - stuck in the sky for the duration of the battle.
    3. Friendly AI riding the tail of a Ju 88 and blazing away while closing the distance and scoring very few (if any hits). Finally the AI spent all of its ammunition and broke off.
    4. Ju 88 bombers dive bombing but dropping bombs while in a half roll and bombs being thrown all over the place.
    5. If I switch to view another bomber the sounds for the 'new' bomber are either gone or an endless creaking.
    6. One Hurricane attacking several bombers by itself and closing didn't appear to get hit by any return fire.
    7. Tab 5-4 to get my flight of Spits to go after the bombers and they continue to go after the fighters.

Flew another (can't remember which) but after the Blenheim's dropped their bombs and headed back to England the AI bombers were bouncing all over the sky instead of flying level.

Hope this doesn't sound like nitpicking but after 2+ years I was hoping some of this basic/core issues would be fixed. Just a bit disappointed is all.
    Last edited by SamJoDo; Aug-24-2020 at 15:55.

2. Likes Fred Karno, 1lokos liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

Re: Trying NOT to be a wet blanket but..

Likewise I really love this sim. It's graphically beautiful, technically accurate and (having flown tailwheel and aerobatic aircraft IRL) a realistic joy to fly. With VR it will be as near as one will ever get to experiencing what it was like to fly in the BoB or the Western Desert.

But... Some bugs stubbornly refuse to go away, and Desert Wings has even made one worse - I refer to the long-standing problem where wherever the weathering slider for an a/c is set, when you replay a track the sim obstinately refuses to reproduce that weathering. Before Desert Wings it removed all weathering - which wasn't a big problem since many of us use custom skins and have weathering set to zero anyway.

However, far from fixing this bug, weathering on track replays is now ALWAYS set to 50% - far worse as it mars custom skins appreciably and spoils footage for screenshots and movies.

Full rudder is still frequently, and aerodynamically incoherently - applied by AI aircraft, although I understand that this may be a graphics bug (like full flap lowering) and under investigation.

The nodding of the nose when rudder is applied is again a long standing error from IL2 1946 days, and not at all realistic - stall turns (an easy manoevre in real life) are hence impossible and side-slipping far trickier than in real life. DCS World rudder use is much better.

Static aircraft are useless for ground scenarios since you can't apply custom skins to them.

Sorry to raise these points again, and having said all that, I absolutely raise my hat to the dedicated geniuses who have polished up this flight sim so magnificently.

Thank you once again to the gentlemen (and ladies if there are any) of TF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

One always has to point out the bug-a-boos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Many of the bugs that are still in game go very, very deep and some are inconsistent and hard to replicate on a constant basis. We at Team Fusion are working on these bugs and have not abandoned you. We realize we have had lots of time but if you knew the complexity of what our undertaking actually is and how the lack of proper tools has hindered us you would likely be astonished at what was accomplished by pure dedication. Just know that we are still working and fixing things as fast as we can Use the bug tracker and have faith for we are still pounding away.
    <S> Fatal
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Fatal_Error View Post
    Many of the bugs that are still in game go very, very deep and some are inconsistent and hard to replicate on a constant basis. We at Team Fusion are working on these bugs and have not abandoned you. We realize we have had lots of time but if you knew the complexity of what our undertaking actually is and how the lack of proper tools has hindered us you would likely be astonished at what was accomplished by pure dedication. Just know that we are still working and fixing things as fast as we can Use the bug tracker and have faith for we are still pounding away.
    <S> Fatal
    I have "testing" with a QM I have played dozen, if not hundred of times "Attack bombers - low level"

I know that in Blitz 4.5xx update the AI skill was adjusted, being more variate that the previous "2 rookies, 2 average, 1 veteran, 1 ace" of release for all missions.

But my AI wingman's still spending all their ammo in just one "spray and pray" burst.

I start increase their skills for gunnery, tactics, re-starting the game at every change, but don't notice difference.

I end with all skills - minus basic and advanced flight ( this last one create a "flapping" wings UFO's); in maximum, and things still the same...

But suddenly sometimes happens different and one or two wingman's attacks using short burst or even abort the attack if are not in good alignment, don't shooting.

In this "test" another curious thing: If I leave player plane, set as ACE (minus flight) for AI control, most times he just ignore the bombers and go straight for home.

The impression is that most times game code acts as away - dumb, but sometimes a bit of code work different (correct?) and good variations happens. I have notice this too in single mission that I create, very different outcomes due variation of AI behavior sometimes.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Aug-27-2020 at 10:17.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

<S> Fatal
    Thanks Fatal - keeping the faith!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    I have "testing" with a QM I have played dozen, if not hundred of times "Attack bombers - low level"

I know that in Blitz 4.5xx update the AI skill was adjusted, being more variate that the previous "2 rookies, 2 average, 1 veteran, 1 ace" of release for all missions.

But my AI wingman's still spending all their ammo in just one "spray and pray" burst.

I start increase their skills for gunnery, tactics, re-starting the game at every change, but don't notice difference.

I end with all skills - minus basic and advanced flight ( this last one create a "flapping" wings UFO's); in maximum, and things still the same...

But suddenly sometimes happens different and one or two wingman's attacks using short burst or even abort the attack if are not in good alignment, don't shooting.

In this "test" another curious thing: If I leave player plane, set as ACE (minus flight) for AI control, most times he just ignore the bombers and go straight for home.

The impression is that most times game code acts as away - dumb, but sometimes a bit of code work different (correct?) and good variations happens. I have notice this too in single mission that I create, very different outcomes due variation of AI behavior sometimes.
    Quick missions can be difficult to adjust. For example it is almost impossible to change weathering on your flyable player aircraft from what was originally saved when the mission was built. The only way to change that weathering is in Full Mission Builder. Are you making your adjustments in FMB and then saving under a different mission name? It might be worth trying this, or even creating a totally new mission for testing AI actions/reactions, just to make sure that the Qick Mission isn't skipping your changes.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

<S> Fatal
    Fatal - You TF guys are stars, CLoD/Desert Wings is now a gem of a flight sim, and I very much hope I haven't sounded ungrateful!

All the best with the bug squashing, and thanks again for all TF has done and is doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Quick missions can be difficult to adjust. Are you making your adjustments in FMB and then saving under a different mission name?
    No, I am adjusting manually .mis file.

I will try again with your suggestion, saving with different name in Single folder, if work OK I move for Quick folder and delete the originals - probable Steam will copy again in an updated/check files, but is not issue.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

The shooting of massive long bursts is still probably my pet peeve.

Is there any way to apply the delay mechanism that there is in static ships gunfire, so that they are limited to bursts of a certain length with a pause inbetween. This may give rather dodgy effects even if it was possible, but I think them missing the odd sitter would be worth it.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You can adjust delay (timeout) for AA react, but "ratio of fire" no, not sure but think that IL-2:46 and Bo'X' has this.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Hmm, I mean this, "slow fire".
    slowfire.jpg
    From my playing around with it, it seems to put a pause of however many seconds between bursts of the gun on the ships firing. What I was wondering is if this could be somehow coded in by TF for the AI to have a pause of 1 or 2 seconds between firing.

In fairness maybe the bursts of aircraft fire aren't as long as they seem, I've never actually counted if they are longer than the burst form a static ship. But I still wonder if that somewhere in the game they seem to have it so the guns fire a burst, then pause, then fire, whereas the AI wingmen seem happy to tape the trigger down...
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The use of Rudder by the AI has been addressed, (we hope) in upcoming patch.

15. Likes ATAG_Flare, Bonditaria, deep, carbolicus liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Bumping to see if some of the issues noted in this thread may make it into an upcoming patch! Appreciate all of the almost weekly updates being made (shows commitment!) but several of those seem to be more cosmetic than fixing issues with base game play. Can an update be provided regarding some of issues addressed in this thread? Still working on it? Haven't looked at it yet? That kind of thing?