Thread: This is crazy!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is crazy!!!!

Ok, so, I'm new. The fresh breath of life... for anything...

And I'm about to try the multiplayer server.

So, what do I do? I click "multiplayer", then "server browser" (why? cause no other choices make sense for multiplayer).

So, now I select a server...(TWC Tobruk. Why? Because desert warfare has been a long time interest of mine), click it. Ok, now password (Yeah, ok "Calais" is the Teamspeak password - doesn't work here). What?

what?

What?

Wait, what?

Huh?

Ok, No other options, have to ctl + alt + del to restart since there are no other options at this point. Click anywhere, nothing happens; close the launcher, now start over.

Repeat; "Server Browser", "TWC Tobruk Server!" (most players), password? WTF!!!

I'VE BEEN SINGING THE PRAISES OF THIS VERSION OF CloD:WotDT (as single player) AND IT'S THIS HARD TO PLAY?

oh,

oh,

oh, PLEASE, PLEASE don't make me ask Steam for a refund (This is my favorite sim; DCS, IL2)......Why should this, on entry, be so exclusive?!?!?

Have to Clt+alt+del AGAIN.

Yeah, seems this is f****d.
    Last edited by Konate; Aug-26-2020 at 11:44.

2. Dislikes Little Bill disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: This is crazy!!!!

Hi there,

the servers are run by private people and have nothing to do with the game, TFS, Teamspeak or Steam, you could setup one by yourself, if you want.
    Some of them ask for a password, either because people want to fly with their friends only, or because of reasons of game play, such as TWC campaign server.

The ATAG servers (Allies vs. Axis public server and Team Fusion # 3) are free to use without password. You can join and fly anytime. Both are full real, ATAG 3 is the most popular at the moment and is constantly running North African missions.

DangerDogz also has a Channel and a Tobruk server, free to use. Map icons are enabled.

TWC campaign server actually needs a password, you will receive it if you sign up for one side (blue or red) on the TWC homepage. You will not be able to change sides afterwards.
    You tried to connect to TWC Tobruk TEST server, which is where the TWC guys try and test new campaigns and because of that is not open to the public.

You choose a server from the list in game (only three of ten servers are password protected) double click it or click 'Connect' and the game will connect you to the server which might take a while, depending on your internet connection..
    a.jpg

Once you are connected an you decide not to fly on this server just click on the button in the lower left corner ('Exit' or something like this in English)
    b.jpg

Then you get a dialogue askig you whether you want to leave the server and you click 'Yes'.
    c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you.

Your response took a lot of time and that is appreciated.

I suppose that it should be much easier, but, my time zone is a bit more difficult to accommodate. Thank you for your patience and response. I will try when there are other more populated unprotected servers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Gotten further, thank you for your guidance...

Selecting a plane ended up with me with a (alphabetical order) Beauford as I tried to get to get other planes, although I had already chosen a different plane. After I had selected an aircraft, I was given another "Spawn Aircraft Group" which ultimately (I assume) determines my aircraft type.

....Not so beginner friendly...

Yet still, I got a Beauford, again....

SO,

what I have learned is that I chose a plane, which allows me to select an airfield.

Then...I need to select the same plane again, otherwise I end up with the default plane, the Beauford. Is this incorrect?
    Last edited by Konate; Aug-26-2020 at 13:31.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpdfaJkV3U

The easiest way to explain anything is when someone shows you how.

Daz

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.81 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Konate View Post
    Selecting a plane ended up with me with a (alphabetical order) Beauford as I tried to get to get other planes, although I had already chosen a different plane. After I had selected an aircraft, I was given another "Spawn Aircraft Group" which ultimately (I assume) determines my aircraft type.

....Not so beginner friendly...

Yet still, I got a Beauford, again....
    Hi Konate,

have you tried to look into the manual provided with the game? It's called "Getting Started And Troubleshooting Guide". There is a section about the multiplayer there - how to access it, how to select a side, an airfield or airstart point, and a plane. All is discribed in detail there.

The manual is accessible from the game under Extras / Manuals. Or you can go to the "manuals" folder in your game installation folder.

Josef

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Figured out how to fly the plane I intended (kittihawk). Let the plane warm up til the oil is 60 degrees C.

Before I can get 100 ft above the air field I have gotten an oil leak (2x). What have I done wrong?

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.81 MB

Figured out how to fly the plane I intended (kittihawk). Let the plane warm up til the oil is 60 degrees C.

Before I can get 100 ft above the air field I have gotten an oil leak (2x). What have I done wrong?
    Konate,

there are guides created for new pilots called Flashcards. The Kittyhawk has its Flashcard too. Try to look at it. The Flashcards are accessible from the game - under Extras / Manuals, in the "aircraft" folder.

It's hard to say what you're doing wrong when you don't say what you did exactly.

When you look at the Kittyhawk Flashcard, you will find a guide how to to take off and land in this plane.

Josef

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Radiators closed. RPMs too high.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_yotheguy, Konate liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

To maybe pre-empt another online frustration:

If you're not aware, type <tl in chat to see the time left when you get in a server, that can help avoid the frustration of warming up, taxiing, getting airborne, climbing a bit and .....mission ends.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

14. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, Konate liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    To maybe pre-empt another online frustration:

If you're not aware, type <tl in chat to see the time left when you get in a server, that can help avoid the frustration of warming up, taxiing, getting airborne, climbing a bit and .....mission ends.
    That will not work on all servers though...

16. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, Konate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi Konate,

First of all, sorry for the hassle you went through just to get started. The idea is for all players to immediately have FUN, not get understandably exasperated with an unintuitive process! Again, apologies.

I just encountered this thread now, and I thank you for bringing this situation to our attention AND for your patience in getting this resolved. I also thank my fellow community members for pitching in with helpful suggestions to get you started.

I’ve brought your situation to the attention of Team Fusion Simulations because I strongly suspect you’re not alone and not the first to encounter these dilemmas. One suggestion I’ve put to TFS is to make the Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide plus the Flashcards more prominent and visible upon launching the sim. As been pointed out earlier in this thread, both are located in the EXTRAS submenu....but who would think of that initially?

One favour to ask: as an experienced sim pilot new to Desert Wings Tobruk, could you have a quick look at the Getting Started Guide to see if this would have been helpful IF you had your mitts on it right from the get-go? Similarly, please give one or two of the Flashcards a whirl to see if their checklists are useful to you?

Your input would be invaluable as you would be looking at both elements with fresh eyes, coming from outside this sim.

Cheers and please keep us posted on how you’re getting on. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to wing up on the TFS #3 Server in the near future.

Best regards,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote: 'make the Getting Started and Troubleshooting Guide plus the Flashcards more prominent and visible upon launching the sim.'

Bang on, Snapper!

This is absolutely the problem we wanted to avoid. You are right! Surely the 'getting Started' guide must be SO VISIBLE that brand new players can't get in an aircraft without tripping over it first! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

For information regarding the TWC servers please visit the twcpilots.com web page. Our Servers are free for public use but have rules to be followed if one of our servers is password protected then it is under construction and not ready for public use at that time. We use Discord for communications and the link can be found in the briefings for each server and I will provide it here Our discord Channel is http://https://discord.gg/K3FePyu please join us

our Channel 1940 server is for those that do not own the Tobruk version
    our Channel 1941 is for those who do own tobruk and want to fly the channel map year 1941 after the Battle of Britain
    our testing servers are for TWC use only as we test different aspects of the game engine

At this time we are not ready with a TWC Desert map yet but it is very close and will involve new game play as I will try and explain here very briefly

1. Player signs in red or blue one choice for the duration of the campaign if you make a mistake we will fix it one time only.
    2. Stats are compiled until death then they start over again (Do NOT Die).
    3. Each side has a single airfield to attack and destroy as main objective.
    4. Each side has 6 primary targets to destroy
    5. Upon completion of all objectives 50+ vehicles try to occupy the base within 90 min. (Convoys of trucks, AAA, Tanks and such) if 6 vehicles make it the map rolls and that base is now captured.
    6. However! If the base attack has failed the side having been attacked launches a counterattack with 50 + vehicles same rules! This will and can seesaw back and forth until one side accomplishes the mission.
    7. Once captured a base must rebuild and re-supply until, it is now a captured airfield for the side that won it in full force, till then supply (fuel and ammo ) are limited. Also the lines have been re-drawn and whom ever lost this base must now take it back along with 6 new primary objectives.
    8. The winner of the base can now move on to a new target base with 6 new primary objectives while the loser tries to regain possession of the last base they lost.

I hope this will enlighten new players as to the Role of the Servers we provide and each of the Servers here Atag, DD, Leadfarm, Teamfusion all have unique aspects to them and more servers are always welcome <S> Fatal
    Last edited by TWC_Fatal_Error; Aug-29-2020 at 06:26.
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi Konate,

One favour to ask: as an experienced sim pilot new to Desert Wings Tobruk, could you have a quick look at the Getting Started Guide to see if this would have been helpful IF you had your mitts on it right from the get-go? Similarly, please give one or two of the Flashcards a whirl to see if their checklists are useful to you?

Your input would be invaluable as you would be looking at both elements with fresh eyes, coming from outside this sim.

Cheers and please keep us posted on how you’re getting on. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to wing up on the TFS #3 Server in the near future.

Best regards,

Snapper
    Thank you for the heads up!! Glad to see these are available now. I heard they were not when I pick up the sim and wasn't aware they are now. I've had a few more experiences since the original (less than sober ) post. Had a lot of help from using Teamspeak. I have looked at the flashcards and troubleshooting guide and they are very descriptive and very helpful. The only thing that I had trouble with and still sometimes do, is that after the "Spawning In" section, there should be a "Respawning In" section, as new people (like myself ) will often need to leave their wrecked planes soon after spawning in.

Enjoyed your live-stream (well, the replay as it was live at 4:30 am here) and look forward to seeing more and when I work out the bugs, hope to join/oppose you.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Hi Konate,
    in MP to leave a damaged plane click on the flag on which side you chose to fight or on the aerodrome from where you took off if you died.Welcome to this wonderful community and good luck
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

22. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper, Konate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Thank you for the heads up!! Glad to see these are available now. I heard they were not when I pick up the sim and wasn't aware they are now. I've had a few more experiences since the original (less than sober ) post. Had a lot of help from using Teamspeak. I have looked at the flashcards and troubleshooting guide and they are very descriptive and very helpful. The only thing that I had trouble with and still sometimes do, is that after the "Spawning In" section, there should be a "Respawning In" section, as new people (like myself ) will often need to leave their wrecked planes soon after spawning in.

Enjoyed your live-stream (well, the replay as it was live at 4:30 am here) and look forward to seeing more and when I work out the bugs, hope to join/oppose you.
    Hi Konate...really pleased to hear you are meeting success with getting to grips with our sim. We've all been there. It takes time....steep learning curve and all that.....but if you're 'into' war birds and history (as we all are) there is simply no better place to be!

The 'live' stream was awesome! A really 'stand out' evening! One of the most exciting escapades was when six or seven 110's ...all armed to the upper teeth......came screaming over Buq Buq, right down on the deck, intent on taking out the field! Hell's bells! We saw them coming in and for a moment were paralysed!

Fortunately, there were quite a few Spitfires and Beaufighters already in the air and close enough to immediately get 'stuck in.'
    Absolute bedlam followed ........aircraft, shouts, streams of tracer everywhere....but after a few moments of madness (how we didn't collide I don't know!) we succeeded in shooting all the 'enemy' down!

We 'ground their black hearts into the dust!' Ha ha! (Not true......we love 'em really!)

Unfortunately, 'the dastardly foe' (apologies to Snargle) succeeded in destroying our forward airfield and we had to withdraw to Scegga No 1. (to be ever known from this day forward as 'Skegness!' Thanks to Super!)

An excellent, fun evening and big thanks to the organisers!

Hope you can join us for the next 'bash,' Konate! Have fun and good luck! Good to have you with us! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Fortunately, there were quite a few Spitfires and Beaufighters already in the air and close enough to immediately get 'stuck in.'
    Don't forget that lonely Kittyhawk that dived through the cover of 109s just in time

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Konate...really pleased to hear you are meeting success with getting to grips with our sim. We've all been there. It takes time....steep learning curve and all that.....but if you're 'into' war birds and history (as we all are) there is simply no better place to be!

The 'live' stream was awesome! A really 'stand out' evening! One of the most exciting escapades was when six or seven 110's ...all armed to the upper teeth......came screaming over Buq Buq, right down on the deck, intent on taking out the field! Hell's bells! We saw them coming in and for a moment were paralysed!

Absolute bedlam followed ........aircraft, shouts, streams of tracer everywhere....but after a few moments of madness (how we didn't collide I don't know!) we succeeded in shooting all the 'enemy' down!

We 'ground their black hearts into the dust!' Ha ha! (Not true......we love 'em really!)

Unfortunately, 'the dastardly foe' (apologies to Snargle) succeeded in destroying our forward airfield and we had to withdraw to Scegga No 1. (to be ever known from this day forward as 'Skegness!' Thanks to Super!)

An excellent, fun evening and big thanks to the organisers!

Hope you can join us for the next 'bash,' Konate! Have fun and good luck! Good to have you with us! Salute!

*girlish squeal!*

Participating sounds way better than watching!!!

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Great input - thank you.

I will add this to the next Getting Started update.

By all means, if you can stagger into the air then join us online - you'll be just as air-qualified as the rest of us! Make sure you get yourself on Teamspeak and intro yourself. Any of us would be pleased to wing up with you. Highseas and Marlow can show you what do to....and I can show you what NOT to do.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

28. Likes Maru, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Highseas, DerDa liked this post