Thread: Bug report: Waypoints not showing in briefings when SHOW MAP PATH enabled

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.88 MB

Bug report: Waypoints not showing in briefings when SHOW MAP PATH enabled

Dear TF,

This is a bug that has been around since pre CLOD Tobruk and is massively frustrating and I am surprised has still not been fixed in Tobruk.

Bug description:

A very common usecase for veteran fliers is you want to be able to see the waypoint indicators on the briefing as well as on your inflight map (which for me is most realistic as at any briefing I would jot down the waypoints on my paper map to then use my gyro to navigate them), but you do not want to see all the icons moving around live on your map, as that is completely unrealistic.

So in REALISM you select NO MAP ICONS but you MAP PATH enabled. Unfortunately the waypoints do not appear neither in the mission brieifing nor in the in flight map. No waypoints, nothing. So you do not know where to go or what to do apart from the text briefing which is often very brief. We are force to constantly press tab 7 1 to get a very inaccurate and approximate report from mission control of the direction of the next waypoint. Is it very realistic having to spam mission control constantly to make sure you are going in the right direction? The workaround is to enable map icons and in the ingame map disable the icons you do not want to see but this is a pain in the *** having to disable the relevant icons every time.

Desired behaviour:

Mission waypoints should be shown in the briefings ALWAYS regardless of realism settings. Then in the in game map, if you disable icons but leave MAP PATH enabled, we should see the mission waypoints and nothing else.

Here is a picture summarising the situation:

https://ibb.co/dcTm05v

I do hope TF can fix this simple bug because it forces me to play with icons enabled, which I do not want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Bug report: Waypoints not showing in briefings when SHOW MAP PATH enabled

Yes, if only "No Map Phat" is leave un-ticked, map path should be visible on in game map. But actually 'map path' is 'map icons' dependent.

I do this as "band-aid".

Spoiler: 

Leave un-ticked only "No object icons" in Realism > Visual Aids.
    Load a mission, briefing Map is polluted with icons as usual.

Right click on map and un-check all options minus

Map path.jpg

In flight I see this:

Map path 2.jpg

Downside, need do this selection every time that start the game and for every mission, as you close the game the adjusts is lost.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.88 MB

Hi 1Kos - I already do this and unfortunately it is often tempting to cheat and enable enemy fighter icons to see where the damn enemy is! I want to only see waypoints and then navigate by dead rec and map tools! This is a bug and has been like this since game release...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.88 MB

I wonder if one of the team fusion lads would be kind enough to chime in on this as being a software engineer myself it can't be too tricky to fiz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

I wish someone would make an interactive map outside of the sim like IL2 Mission planner does for BoX. Then I can run it on old spare laptop and fly at the same time w/o alt-tabbing. For long range bombing it's essential to have a good map tool.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

6. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    I wish someone would make an interactive map outside of the sim like IL2 Mission planner does for BoX. Then I can run it on old spare laptop and fly at the same time w/o alt-tabbing. For long range bombing it's essential to have a good map tool.

skud
    I have geo-localized the Tobruk map on GoogleEarth and use the GE ruler tool to get accurate headings and distances between any two points.

Give it a try if you want, here is a link to the .KMZ file.

Not the state of the art solution, but it does the job. Just add 1.5 degrees to the heading reading.

This is based on a early map so there may be one or two secondary airfields missing. Working on a newer version.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    I have geo-localized the Tobruk map on GoogleEarth and use the GE ruler tool to get accurate headings and distances between any two points.

Not the state of the art solution, but it does the job. Just add 1.5 degrees to the heading reading.

This is based on a early map so there may be one or two secondary airfields missing. Working on a newer version.
    This works great and dead easy!!! You're a genius Noofy

skud

EDIT:
    i whipped up this quick test circuit from Gazala 2 to Buqbuq and threw in an airfieldAttachment 49726 pic .
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Sep-03-2020 at 09:22.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

9. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Very Nice, Noofy
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

11. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

EDIT:
    i whipped up this quick test circuit from Gazala 2 to Buqbuq and threw in an airfieldAttachment 49726 pic .
    Huh?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I wish someone would make an interactive map outside of the sim like IL2 Mission planner does for BoX.
    The author of IL2 (Bo'X) Mission Planer used to have a version with CloD Channel map, probable withdraw due lack or interest.

I remember see this tool in some Spanish squadron page, just don't remember where...

EDIT - Ruler map tools: https://il2map.info/map?type=clod_channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

freeware protractor tool on this site, looks interesting

http://www.markus-bader.de/MB-Ruler/examples.php
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

15. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Huh?

here
    Capture.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    The author of IL2 (Bo'X) Mission Planer used to have a version with CloD Channel map, probable withdraw due lack or interest.

I remember see this tool in some Spanish squadron page, just don't remember where...

This is very nice
    Need a Tobruk version

skud

18. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

This is very nice
    Need a Tobruk version

skud
    I found the Spanish squadron page 1lokos was refering to.

Trying to adapt it to the Tobruk map here.

(Note 1: I am not the author, and the credit goes to the original authors of the Spanish squad, I just changed the Channel map to the Tobruk map...).
    (Note 2: this is still work in progress, only the map section is working).
    (Note 3: this is the latest version of my Tobruk map - I added missing airfileds, and missing lakes in AV3-AW3)

Edit: by the way I updated the GoogleEarth map as well. You can download the new .KMZ from here.
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-04-2020 at 01:40.

20. Likes ATAG_SKUD, 1lokos, Marco, von Graf liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.38 MB

Yes, if only "No Map Phat" is leave un-ticked, map path should be visible on in game map. But actually 'map path' is 'map icons' dependent.

I do this as "band-aid".

Spoiler: 

Leave un-ticked only "No object icons" in Realism > Visual Aids.
    Load a mission, briefing Map is polluted with icons as usual.

Right click on map and un-check all options minus

Map path.jpg

In flight I see this:

Map path 2.jpg

Downside, need do this selection every time that start the game and for every mission, as you close the game the adjusts is lost.
    That's a fair point. I thought about it, and can't find any justification for Map Path to be tied directly with Map Icons.
    So, as of patch 005 you'll get this by default if No Map Path is deselected:

Some online server admins might get surprised by it, cause the configuration above resulted in No Map Path previously,
    but that is the way of the progress.

Special thanks to 1lokos for pointing exactly where the problem lies.

22. Likes 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
    [/url]
    Zooming in on the third image, is that the players vector to the following waypoint that is still showing? Its the line that connects the player aircraft icon to the next waypoint. It should also be removed if you aren't showing the aircraft icon.
    mws1.jpg

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.88 MB

Hi Microwave - what you are proposing for patch 5 seems correct to me - thanks very much - I will be sure to give you guys feedback on this bug fix as soon as patch 5 is out

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

In 5.005 "Map path" show only... map path.

And if player want path can be hidden for a give mission, deselecting "Path" in map options.

26. Likes Bonditaria liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    415.88 MB

I have tested the latest update today and it seems perfect - many many thanks! How many years did that take to get fixed LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by gloriousbach View Post
    How many years did that take to get fixed LOL!
    In Dr.WHO'leg World time is based on Nibiru orbit.

29. Likes von Graf liked this post