Thread: a couple bomber questions for all the wizards

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

a couple bomber questions for all the wizards

Hello I have a couple bomber questions maybe they belong in bugs and errors I dont know but ill start here . When I fly the JU 88 now I am running out of fuel quicker I used to use maybe 24 -33 % for a given trip but in the new A-5 Trop I run out of fuel , If I fly 32 minutes to Bug Bug i run out of fuel and crash at the gate. The A-1 was much better on fuel I never ran out and flew all over unless I got lost etc now I need 34 -40 % to go some where . Is the fuel consumption Higher on an A-5 ? its alway been good on fuel before It is a little harder to take off with more fuel so your always trying to cut it as close as you can . whats up , my mind or the plane ?

#2 The ju 88 and other German planes have great Navigation equipment good compasses ( i really dont know how you fly those British planes with those damn compasses hats off to you ) great auto pilots bomb sights etc but now in the A5 when I fly very low and set my mode course up it seems to deviate a lot, you used to set it at say 125 and it might vary a couple degrees you watched it and corrected . Now the new A-5 it needs watching all the time and you might get 15 %( degree ) swings if you make a false move . I am flying very low and as you know there are very poor visual landmarks for you in the desert the course mode seems much more unstable . A bomber is not like a fighter you folks go up fly vaguely to an area and try to hunt planes ; a bomber has to go to an exact spot to get a hit you cant go some where and fly around looking for some obscure AF or building you will bee killed in a minute. when your flying low like that you have to be coming in at an exact spot that you cant see Pop up and have at it so you have to be accurate in navagation . So Is that course mode in the New 88 set up different. I am well aware it could be me with the new planes you have to almost learn to fly again to use the new features . does it need a tune up ?? any one else seeing this ??

#3 This is old, not really a tobruk item, but if there are 40 people on I bring up my list of whose flying and I might only see half of them and they are all blues like me . I really want to know what rascals I am flying against . Is there a way to increase the number of visible flyers on that list so I can see them all etc or maybe all my opponents .Is this a fixed kind of thing it only shows the first 20 or something ???

Thanks all TGIF

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Re: a couple bomber questions for all the wizards

Hey Tgif

hm, my fuel consuption feels to be pretty good. 30% ist enough for a wide round trip (north - east - south / south-west-north) from Tobruk to BuqBuq in 4000 meters. Aut. prop pitch at 65% / coolers at 40% / IAS 330 km/h.

Just flown: Almiah Alkhafia - Habata (5200m) - Sidi Azeiz, flight time 57 min / 22% fuel.

Navigation although is a pain in th a... Almost no landmarks, no navigation tool. The variation is "1,5 east" should'nt be a big deal for the given distances.

cu
    henry
    Last edited by HenryLuebberstedt; Aug-29-2020 at 13:35.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

3. Likes tgif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    ( i really dont know how you fly those British planes with those damn compasses hats off to you )
    Well, being British, P-8 Compass is a "left hand" thing, so just read their scale mirrored.

See here, in A2A Spitfire - the only simulator that model P-8 Compass correctly (CloD, Bo'x, DCS has omissions, "gamey" interpretation, error); how use P-8 compass and DG.

https://youtu.be/YdDvh5zPUWI?t=163

5. Likes ATAG_SKUD, tgif, Fred Karno liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Well, being British, P-8 Compass is a "left hand" thing, so just read their scale mirrored.

See here, in A2A Spitfire - the only simulator that model P-8 Compass correctly (CloD, Bo'x, DCS has omissions, "gamey" interpretation, error); how use P-8 compass and DG.

that is a nice video on compass set up etc thanks

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Hey Tgif

hm, my fuel consuption feels to be pretty good. 30% ist enough for a wide round trip (north - east - south / south-west-north) from Tobruk to BuqBuq in 4000 meters. Aut. prop pitch at 65% / coolers at 40% / IAS 330 km/h.

Just flown: Almiah Alkhafia - Habata (5200m) - Sidi Azeiz, flight time 57 min / 22% fuel.

Navigation although is a pain in th a... Almost no landmarks, no navigation tool. The variation is "1,5 east" should'nt be a big deal for the given distances.

cu
    henry
    thanks for that info maybe I am making a mistake when loading up or maybe i have a leak from flack or bullets illl check further as I fly .from your description it seems about the same as A-1 was in battle of Britain etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    Hello I have a couple bomber questions maybe they belong in bugs and errors I dont know but ill start here . When I fly the JU 88 now I am running out of fuel quicker I used to use maybe 24 -33 % for a given trip but in the new A-5 Trop I run out of fuel , If I fly 32 minutes to Bug Bug i run out of fuel and crash at the gate. The A-1 was much better on fuel I never ran out and flew all over unless I got lost etc now I need 34 -40 % to go some where . Is the fuel consumption Higher on an A-5 ? its alway been good on fuel before It is a little harder to take off with more fuel so your always trying to cut it as close as you can . whats up , my mind or the plane ?

#2 The ju 88 and other German planes have great Navigation equipment good compasses ( i really dont know how you fly those British planes with those damn compasses hats off to you ) great auto pilots bomb sights etc but now in the A5 when I fly very low and set my mode course up it seems to deviate a lot, you used to set it at say 125 and it might vary a couple degrees you watched it and corrected . Now the new A-5 it needs watching all the time and you might get 15 %( degree ) swings if you make a false move . I am flying very low and as you know there are very poor visual landmarks for you in the desert the course mode seems much more unstable . A bomber is not like a fighter you folks go up fly vaguely to an area and try to hunt planes ; a bomber has to go to an exact spot to get a hit you cant go some where and fly around looking for some obscure AF or building you will bee killed in a minute. when your flying low like that you have to be coming in at an exact spot that you cant see Pop up and have at it so you have to be accurate in navagation . So Is that course mode in the New 88 set up different. I am well aware it could be me with the new planes you have to almost learn to fly again to use the new features . does it need a tune up ?? any one else seeing this ??

#3 This is old, not really a tobruk item, but if there are 40 people on I bring up my list of whose flying and I might only see half of them and they are all blues like me . I really want to know what rascals I am flying against . Is there a way to increase the number of visible flyers on that list so I can see them all etc or maybe all my opponents .Is this a fixed kind of thing it only shows the first 20 or something ???

Thanks all TGIF
    Tested A 1 and A 5 offline, both hold their courses well in mode 22. Tested a run from Tobruk to Bug Bug in an A 5. Course from map tools was 116, 115 magnetic did the trick. Confirmed online low level from Gambit no 5 to bug bug 115 magnetic took me right there.
    Last edited by Torric270; Aug-29-2020 at 14:45.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

thanks for checking things on your end I think you are right if I keep my speed up and give it a little time to settle down it does seem to stay closer to the setting I guess I am just impatient

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Also, by magnetic, I mean the magnetic compass, not the repeater compass. The mag compass seems to work well (when straight and level) with the protractor tool in the map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

You can synchronize DG with compass readings without set "Red on Red" on compass (needle '+' aligned with 'N') by done some math.

Flying straight you look at compass (yes much more difficult in the game than should), the '+' point for example for 50º.

So 360 - 50 = 310º that is your actual heading, set this in DG, if you turn course Setter Scale for "Red on Red"* the number at 12 o'clock - wheres should be the (MIA) Lubber Line is 310, as well in the dumb "HUD" reading.

Another examples:

140° > 360 - 140 = 220°

285° > 360 - 285 = 75°

* "Red on Red" reference in "pilot anecdotes, manuals":

"(iii) Unlock the bearing plate and rotate it to set “red on red”, i.e., the red marked north point on the bearing plate vertically over the red compass filament."
    (Course Setting Bomb Sight Mk. IX page 15).

"...in this position my hands were free to adjust the bombsight levels and compass (red on red) and obtain a good line of sight in order to track the target."
    (S/Ldr John (Ian) Blair, awarded wiht DFM as Sergeant, following the incidente over Derna in 4th September 1940, when the pilot of the Blenheim of No 113 Squadron in what he fly as navigator was mortally wounded during an attack of a Fiat CR-42, and he - without formal flight training; take the controls and manage do landing the aircraft back in Mersa Matruh).

"First on with a cockpit light, for night flying I never used the cockpit lights to ensure my night vision wasn't upset and did everything by feel, and check the reflector gun sight was set to 250 yard range and 60ft span (60ft was about right for heavy stuff and made sure that for 109s I'd be a lot closer than 250 yards). Helmet placed over gun sight, with the oxygen tube plugged into the socket just below the ident switch control box on the right hand side (the socket was a bayonet), and the radio lead jack into the socket just in front of the seat. Check mixture lever right back, propeller pitch lever at fully fine, throttle right back, brakes on, gun button set to ‘safe’, both fuel levers up to off, and tail and rudder trims set for take-off. Align compass grid lines with needle ensuring 'red on red' so as not to fly in the opposite direction to that desired and then uncage (unlock) the D.I. (directional gyro) and set it to agree with the compass and regauge it."
    Sgt. Herbert David Denchfield Spitfire Mk.I cockpit drill).