Thread: Hey there. New guy checking in

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey there. New guy checking in

Hello guys. I’m a long time simmer with plenty of flight experience, especially level bombing but this is a whole new level lol. Looking forward to learning lots. Currently working on starting the Wellington and trying to take off....haha it’s been fun so far. See ya in the skies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Re: Hey there. New guy checking in

Welcome to ATAG, mate!

3. Likes Gingerbread, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by UTC View Post
    Currently working on starting the Wellington and trying to take off....haha
    Hey UTC, welcome to Cliffs of Dover Blitz/Desert Wings Tobruk. Be sure to check out the manual located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals (that is if you accepted the default installation)

As well as the "flash-cards" located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals\aircraft

Studying these 2 resources will go a long way in reducing any frustration you experience. The earlier versions of these games did not include them, so each pilot was left to try and figure things out by watching YouTube videos or asking questions on forums or while online with other pilots. So now is a good time to be joining; your learning process will be much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hello guys. I’m a long time simmer with plenty of flight experience, especially level bombing but this is a whole new level lol. Looking forward to learning lots. Currently working on starting the Wellington and trying to take off....haha it’s been fun so far. See ya in the skies!
    The Wellington is a blast!

For information about starting procedure and the use of bombsight and gunners, please check out the flashcards in game (under 'Extras').
    They are in the process of being updated regularly to keep pace with the improvements of aircraft models by TFS, but this should not affect the bombing practises.

6. Likes Gingerbread, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi UTC.......what an excellent time to get 'stuck in' to Tobruk! You're very welcome here!

We are all having a great blast getting to grips with the new aircraft in Tobruk and finding our way around the North African Desert. It sure looks very different to Kent and 'dear ole Blighty!' As Derda and J-hat suggest, there is much help included in the Flashcards (link given above) and they are the default 'go to' when starting to learn a new aircraft.
    The Wellington is a fantastic aircraft and will allow us all to win the VC, beating out wing fires with an engine cover. Imagination has no limit with this beauty! Its cockpit is a true work of art!

Join us all anytime on the TFS3 Server, especially in the evenings GMT. It would be a good idea to download Team Speak...the free bit of software which helps us to chat together, co-operate and occasionally 'giggle like girls' ! Ha ha!

Have fun! Good luck..... and hope to see you in our Desert skies soon! Salute!

8. Likes Gingerbread, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Hi UTC,
    I saw you jump into Combat Sim Junkies server briefly. I was in there trying to practice level bombing in the Ju88. I like that server because it has NAVAIDS and lacks the pestilence of Hurris and Spits that ruin a training run.
    Give me shout next time and I'll be happy to share what little knowledge I have on the subject.

skud
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Sep-02-2020 at 10:32.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Welcome!
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

11. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

It's fancy to have the Universal Time Coordinated as a member of ATAG

13. Likes UTC, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    Hi UTC,
    I saw you jump into Combat Sim Junkies server briefly. I was in there trying to practice level bombing in the Ju88. I like that server because it has NAVAIDS and lacks the pestilence of Hurris and Spits that ruin a training run.
    Give me shout next time and I'll be happy to share what little knowledge I have on the subject.

skud
    Sounds like a plan. I’ve been going on there while I learn the ropes. It’s crazy how hard this sim is compared to others I’m used to but I’m loving it. I definitely need help with the level bombing. Thanks!

15. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    123.26 MB

It’s crazy how hard this sim is compared to others I’m used to but I’m loving it. I definitely need help with the level bombing. Thanks!
    It's the hard challenge that makes the game so great ... developing the skills and the mastery of the many aircraft's. Those who persist and are willing to learn, find the true gem to this sim and the community of those like-minded pilots. Of course the graphics, the details, the great flight modeling and damage modeling, help to encourage us along in our pursuit for mastering this sim. This is not something that is accomplished in a weekend .... ask anyone, we've each invested hours learning and honing our skills, and continue to do so, because there is always something to learn. So keep at, ask questions, never stop learning.

With that, I'd like to impart a extremely valuable lesson I learned early in my career, that is the art of "trimming" your aircraft. In order to make your aircraft as energy efficient as it can be, their needs to be a constant adjusting to your trims to make sure you aircraft is creating the least amount of drag. This will be most noticeable when you attempt to shoot down another aircraft. With a well trimmed aircraft you will effortlessly target your prey and as you release your bursts, your aircraft will maintain it's target in your sight, so little effort is needed to launch another burst. With a poorly trimmed aircraft, you will be constantly adjusting to try to get your target in your sights. Below is a link to a YouTube video that explains this procedure very well:

https://youtu.be/MqW450lGEKU

I hope this is news to you and that you will benefit from it as much as I did. If you see me online, don't hesitate to say hi

17. Likes danperin, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Sounds like a plan. I’ve been going on there while I learn the ropes. It’s crazy how hard this sim is compared to others I’m used to but I’m loving it. I definitely need help with the level bombing. Thanks!
    Tell me about it.
    I've spent a couple of days just mapping new custom controllers.
    Hope you don't mind flying the 88 it's a wonderful plane and I believe easier than most.
    When I get good enough we can ask Noofy to come on and teach us the pro tips.

skud
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

19. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Padre View Post
    It's the hard challenge that makes the game so great ... developing the skills and the mastery of the many aircraft's. Those who persist and are willing to learn, find the true gem to this sim and the community of those like-minded pilots. Of course the graphics, the details, the great flight modeling and damage modeling, help to encourage us along in our pursuit for mastering this sim. This is not something that is accomplished in a weekend .... ask anyone, we've each invested hours learning and honing our skills, and continue to do so, because there is always something to learn. So keep at, ask questions, never stop learning.

With that, I'd like to impart a extremely valuable lesson I learned early in my career, that is the art of "trimming" your aircraft. In order to make your aircraft as energy efficient as it can be, their needs to be a constant adjusting to your trims to make sure you aircraft is creating the least amount of drag. This will be most noticeable when you attempt to shoot down another aircraft. With a well trimmed aircraft you will effortlessly target your prey and as you release your bursts, your aircraft will maintain it's target in your sight, so little effort is needed to launch another burst. With a poorly trimmed aircraft, you will be constantly adjusting to try to get your target in your sights. Below is a link to a YouTube video that explains this procedure very well:

https://youtu.be/MqW450lGEKU

I hope this is news to you and that you will benefit from it as much as I did. If you see me online, don't hesitate to say hi
    Thank you sir!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm another new guy. I have bought the game on Steam a while back and have never been able to get it to start.
    I looked at the New Pilots post. I have disabled anti-virus for the installation and have run as an administrator. It basically does nothing. I have tried running from Steam and the desktop shortcut.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz03A View Post
    I'm another new guy. I have bought the game on Steam a while back and have never been able to get it to start.
    I looked at the New Pilots post. I have disabled anti-virus for the installation and have run as an administrator. It basically does nothing. I have tried running from Steam and the desktop shortcut.

Any suggestions?
    Have you tried to install the softwares inside: \\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist?

Maybe that's the problem, mate
    Last edited by danperin; Sep-04-2020 at 10:12.

23. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks. Was trying to get the original Cliffs of Dover to run.
    Installed Cliffs of Dover Blitz and it works.

Hooray.
    Now to figure out the controls...

25. Likes danperin, farley, Silent135, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Congrats and welcome!

When you fire up the game, take a look at EXTRAS in the menu. You’ll find a Getting Started Guide and a ton of illustrated flashcards for all the aircraft to get you in the air.

Cheers!

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

27. Likes danperin liked this post