Thread: Wellington - Bomb aimer headspace

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Wellington - Bomb aimer headspace

I'm trying to ge the knack of level bombing in the Wellington, but am having great difficulty in seeing anything ahead of the aircraft in the bomb aimer position, I can't locate the target because the bombsight blocks all visibility.

I'm trying to lean around it slightly (TrackIR) but there's next to no head movement*. If it is that restrictive for everyone, is it possible to have it the lateral and vertical head space increased ever so slightly to be able to see ahead a little bit more?

Or if it is just me, how on earth do people manage to see the target?

* Just sitting in the pilot seat I can't seem to lean to the sides quite as much as my real life body and nose pressing against windows (even with headset on) would tell me I should.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Re: Wellington - Bomb aimer headspace

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    I'm trying to ge the knack of level bombing in the Wellington, but am having great difficulty in seeing anything ahead of the aircraft in the bomb aimer position, I can't locate the target because the bombsight blocks all visibility.

I'm trying to lean around it slightly (TrackIR) but there's next to no head movement*. If it is that restrictive for everyone, is it possible to have it the lateral and vertical head space increased ever so slightly to be able to see ahead a little bit more?

* Just sitting in the pilot seat I can't seem to lean to the sides quite as much as my real life body and nose pressing against windows (even with headset on) would tell me I should.
    The only way I have been able to do it is to bounce back and forth between the bomb position and the nose gun. Line up the target using the nose gun position and at the last minute switch to the bomb position. Cluncky, but it it works.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    The only way I have been able to do it is to bounce back and forth between the bomb position and the nose gun. Line up the target using the nose gun position and at the last minute switch to the bomb position. Cluncky, but it it works.
    Yes, to be honest I'd forgotten to take actually take control of the gun in the front turret when trying to look, so perhaps it will give me enough view. Still would love just a couple of inches of head tracking to either side in the bomb aimer position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

I initially see the target from the cockpit and/or nose gunner. In the nose gunner I follow the target down until almost gone, the i un-lean to and look thru the square underneath the sight.

Then I will switch to the bombardier (not leaned in) you have some head movement and find the target lined up in front of the sight. Then I will lean in to the sight and wait for the target to reappear and then start zooming in.

5. Likes ATAG_Ezzie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I'm trying to lean around it slightly (TrackIR) but there's next to no head movement*.
    Bombsight and gunner positions don't have "6DOF", so TrackIR is restrict to little movement.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Bombsight and gunner positions don't have "6DOF", so TrackIR is restrict to little movement.
    Ahhhh, that would explain it. Oh well, better than not having any bomb aimer position at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

Are you using the MkXIV bombsight? I get good results this way:

- Spot target area from pilot's position while a few km out.

- Fly directly towards the target and turn on the auto-pilot.

- Switch to bomber position, open sight cover, turn on sight light.

- Look to the right of the sight, you should be able to see quite far forward.

- You must 'lean to gunsight' to bomb accurately but you can flip back and forth as you fly in.

- As bomber you are steering the aircraft, practice changing your heading by flying along the coast and attempting to line up the sight on geographic features.