Thread: Is there a way to increase LOD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Is there a way to increase LOD?

Noofy and I were flying this weekend. He has 2k monitor and I have 4K monitor. He was seeing ships fully rendered a full 2 minutes before I saw them. When they did finally render as ships they popped in huge at about 3 km distance. I have older but still worthy Titan xp and have tons on headroom on the GPU in this game. I've never seen the slightest stutter. Can you give us the option of increasing LOD distance?

skud

Edit: I have all the settings maxed out.
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Sep-05-2020 at 08:13.
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: Is there a way to increase LOD?

I think I may have the same problem. Just the others in 1080p see before me as I am running 1440p.

The render bubble is also very noticeable, with buildings and LODs popping up when fully zoomed in but not visible or just as a very (very) faint dot when not.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Sure....

LOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Actually in 4K the max visual range is about 5 km from the center of your aircraft. The only solution to increase the visual range is to lower the screen resolution.

As quick/simple reference these are pretty much the visual range values:

HD ( 1920x1080 at 60 or 120 Hz ) = 12 Km max

2K ( 2560x1440 at 60 Hz ) = 7 Km max

4K ( 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60 Hz ) = 5 Km max

Important for the 4K: Disable any anisotropic or antialiasing filter you may have activated. Both almost useless at this resolution and your spoting capabilities will improve a fraction ( but not the max visual range ). Use frequently the zoom in to scan the section of sky of interest. If using the FXAA ( My suggestion is to disable it in 4K ) select instead SMAA and colour --> Ultra if your PC can run it.
    In the Nvidia control panel set the Low Latency Mode on " ON ".
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Sep-07-2020 at 17:02.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

5. Likes Little Bill, ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Sure....

LOD

LOD + KKKK resolution
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    Actually in 4K the max visual range is about 5 km from the center of your aircraft. The only solution to increase the visual range is to lower the screen resolution.

As quick/simple reference these are pretty much the visual range values:

HD ( 1920x1080 at 60 or 120 Hz ) = 12 Km max

2K ( 2560x1440 at 60 Hz ) = 7 Km max

4K ( 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 at 60 Hz ) = 5 Km max

Important for the 4K: Disable any anisotropic or antialiasing filter you may have activated. Both almost useless at this resolution and your spoting capabilities will improve a fraction ( but not the max visual range ). Use frequently the zoom in to scan the section of sky of interest. If using the FXAA ( My suggestion is to disable it in 4K ) select instead SMAA and colour --> Ultra if your PC can run it.
    In the Nvidia control panel set the Low Latency Mode on " ON ".
    Thanks
    Could you give me a brief technical explanation on why the rendering distances are reduced for the higher resolution monitors? Can anything be done on the game side to even the playing field or are we stuck with this forever? Also, what kind of issue would we be up against if the rendering limit was increased to 15 Km in 4k?

skud
    Last edited by ATAG_SKUD; Sep-08-2020 at 02:16. Reason: update
    i-9 11900KF@ 5.1 GHZ CPU Watercooled, 32GB Corsair vengeance@4133Mhz, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero (WiFi 6E) Z590 , MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3080Ti, 2 x 1Tb Samsung NVMe 980 Pro, 43" Gigabyte Aorus FV43U QLED 4K monitor, GVL 224 Ju 88 Big Throttle, BAUR BRD-DS with KG-13A control column, MFG Crosswind Rudders, GVL224 Ju88 Trim Wheel Box, GVL224 Ju 88 Switch Panel, Blackhog SB-2, SB AE-9, Audeze LCD-GX headset, TrackIR5, Buttkicker Simkit + Buttkicker Gamer2, 2 x DSD Flight Panel 2s

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    Thanks
    Could you give me a brief technical explanation on why the rendering distances are reduced for the higher resolution monitors? Can anything be done on the game side to even the playing field or are we stuck with this forever? Also, what kind of issue would we be up against if the rendering limit was increased to 15 Km in 4k?

skud
    Is not that the game changes the viewing distance with the resolution, is that when far a plane is basically a single dot/pixel which is easier to see if the resolution is lower as the pixel size in the monitor is bigger.
    To counter this, this single pixel would need to be rendered as 2, 4, 6 etc pixels depending on your resolution but currently is not the case.

9. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Is not that the game changes the viewing distance with the resolution, is that when far a plane is basically a single dot/pixel which is easier to see if the resolution is lower as the pixel size in the monitor is bigger.
    To counter this, this single pixel would need to be rendered as 2, 4, 6 etc pixels depending on your resolution but currently is not the case.
    Thanks Colander
    I think what you are speaking about is aircraft. I can see other aircraft OK, it's better in DWT than BoX. Its the ground objects like ships and hangers that render late for 4K resolutions. There is definitely a difference in when they pop in 1080 vs. 4k. When they finally render in 4k they pop in big going from invisible to huge in an instant.

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

The planes, ships, and ground objects should "render" (i.e. popup in full shape) at the same distance regardless of your monitor resolution, with potential differences due to lag, ping, server overload over a given region, etc.

But you first spot the objects before they render, and they show up as a single pixel. That’s what Colander is referring to. This first pixel appears at the same distance regardless of your resolution, however the higher the resolution, the smaller that first pixel is (after all more resolution = more pixels per square inch => smaller pixels), and therefore you cannot see it even though it is there. The only way would be to render several pixels (x4, x8, x16) so people with higher resolutions see them better, but this is probably technically very challenging... The planes you see better because you always see a moving pixel better than a still one.

I don’t know if you can make that first pixel more visible by increasing the contrast or something...

That flight we did together the other day over the ships, what I could see way before you were those first pixels, not the ships themselves. To me too the full ships popped up later, but I knew what they were because I was expecting them to be there...

And in TFS5.0 you can see the objects from a much greater distance if you fully zoom in... with the increased difficulty of aiming at the correct spot of course.
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-09-2020 at 01:28.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Thanks Noofy and Colander.
    I thought they were rendering to full ships when you called them out. I'm never going to see single pixel in 4K. So if everyone gets the full ship rendering at the same distance, what would be the impact of moving that distance out say 2 or 3 times what it is now?

skud

13. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Yes, increase the render bubble!
    Maybe to what it is already when you are fully zoomed in.

And if possible, make the render distance configurable under options so people with not so powerful PCs can reduce it to increase performance.

i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_SKUD View Post
    ... what would be the impact of moving that distance out say 2 or 3 times what it is now?
    I am not sure. I assume the more objects you have visibility of, the bigger the impact on the frame rate? This is why people uncheck the far clouds, far shadows, etc.

Also rendering from a higher distance would make it less challenging...

I think there is a way to increase that sight distance in SP mode, but in MP mode this is forced by the server / mission maker.

Search for threads discussing "mp_dotrange"...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-09-2020 at 03:57.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

16. Likes ATAG_SKUD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    I am not sure. I assume the more objects you have visibility of, the bigger the impact on the frame rate? This is why people uncheck the far clouds, far shadows, etc.

Also rendering from a higher distance would make it less challenging...

I think there is a way to increase that sight distance in SP mode, but in MP mode this is forced by the server / mission maker.

Search for threads discussing "mp_dotrange"...
    This sim is rock solid on frame rate. I have no problem with everything maxed out and in 4k. I think there's lots of room to blow up the bubble

How about an option for players to choose their bubble size? Seems to me in my foggy recollection we used to have options for how far out trees, buildings and such would render. Or maybe that was BoX.
    I guess MP_dotrange is a server parameter?

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

That is surely true but there's also another thing that seems to have a big impact for the visibility distance. CloD seems to use some kind of visual bubble around the aircraft ( starting from the aircraft center ) that should be something about 5 Km from the aircraft center.
    This seems to have an effect also on the visibility distance of the aircraft.
    At higher resolution ( 4K in particular ) the big problem is that, everything outside the 5 km rendering bubble is not rendered at all by the game.
    To make a quick example ( in 4K ): At 5km you see the aircraft dot, at 5100 meters the dot completely vanish.
    The rendering bubble around the aircraft seems to act ( or it seems to be used by the game ) like a sort of reversed multiplier. The lower you set the resolution, the better. The more you raise it, the opposite.

Some samples to give the idea:

HD ( 1920x1080 ): Rendering bubble 5 km : 12 Km max vis.range = Multiplier 2,4

2K ( 2560x1440 ): Rendering bubble 5 km : 7 Km max vis.range = Multiplier 1,4

4K ( 4096x2160 or 3840x2160 ): Rendering bublbe 5 km : 5 Km max vis.range = Multiplier 1

The lower the multiplier the lower the visibility distance. At 1:1 ( 4K res ) as said everything outside it is not rendered at all, it seems ( Done a lot of tests about it, I've got always the same results ) because the pixel becomes so small that is not rendered at all by the in-game engine. ( That was clearly not designed for 4K resolutions in origin )

Probably making some tests looking at what happens if increasing the rendering visual bubble could be worth the candle but finding the sweetspot will be surely a tricky thing to be obtained I presume...

-- End of my reply to Colander ---

To all: If we want to increase the visual distance for higher resolutions somehow the solution is not that easy. We can't simply raise the visibility distance for the 4K user only. Why?
    Because the game, at least as far as I know, do not permits to increase one single value ( Let's say for exampple the 4K only ) and not the others. An eventual change done to one of them will affect all the other resolutions too. If you increase the visibility distance of the 4K res, for example of the exact double in respect to now, increasing it from 5km to 10 km you will have the perfect visibility distance ( or at least enough ) in 4K but applying the same to the other resolutions you will get:

HD ( 1920x1080 ): 12 Km max actual vis.range x 2 = 24 km ( Too much )

2K ( 2560x1440 ): 7 Km max actual vis.range x 2 = 14 km ( Still in range of something realistic )

At this point someone may say... " Ok but the only visibility distance that is too much is the one of the HD users ( 24 Km )...I prefer to have a correct visibility range in 2 and 4 K even if the one of the HD user is too much...In my opinion even if HD will have a clear advantage, this change it's worth the candle!... "

..but here there also another point to take into consideration before saying " Eureka! " I've found the final solution...or rather..

Actually the strain put on a HD computer ( Speaking of graphics ) is almost 1 quarter lower in respect to one in 4K for example, becuase the HD resolution is about 4 times lower in respect to the 4K one ( It's not exactly so but this sample is just to give the idea ).
    So this means that doubling the visual range for any resolutions you will have also the double video card strain for HD users, two times more strain on 2K users graphics and 2 times more strain put on 4K users graphics... ( Again, it doesn't work exactly so, this is just to provide and example easy to be visualised in your minds )
    We got already now lots of people reporting issues with stutters and graphic problems in HD and higher resolutions...What do you think will happen if we will aplly what's written above?

That's why it's not so easy solving this issue guys...

I hope even if it was a very brief description it was clear enough to highlight some of the issues that TFS may have to face...It's not always so easy as it seems to solve a problem, unfortunately...

Even guessing the perfect sweetspot for the 4K resolution ( in a imaginary feasible environment ) the lower resolutions will be always able to have a better visibility speaking of aircraft dots..it's something we can't change actually...In brief... We can't have the exact same visual range for all the resolutions....

Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Sep-09-2020 at 11:03.

My PC specs

19. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

To all: If we want to increase the visual distance for higher resolutions somehow the solution is not that easy. We can't simply raise the visibility distance for the 4K user only. Why?
    Because the game, at least as far as I know, do not permits to increase one single value ( Let's say for exampple the 4K only ) and not the others. An eventual change done to one of them will affect all the other resolutions too. If you increase the visibility distance of the 4K res, for example of the exact double in respect to now, increasing it from 5km to 10 km you will have the perfect visibility distance ( or at least enough ) in 4K but applying the same to the other resolutions you will get:
    Yes we could, if the LOD rendering can be increased at all and I tell you why.
    Theres two renderings, 1st the full rendering with all the various LOD levels
    and the 2nd with a dot, hence the mp_dotrange command which is set by the server if you haven't known that already.
    The dot for the dot rendering is always a single till 4 pixels wide (atleast can be as big as two pixels I'm sure) and that pixel is darker in closer range and more transparent in further distance.

So if you could increase the LOD rendering, it would not overwrite the dot rendering

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    180.32 MB

At this point someone may say... " Ok but the only visibility distance that is too much is the one of the HD users ( 24 Km )...I prefer to have a correct visibility range in 2 and 4 K even if the one of the HD user is too much...In my opinion even if HD will have a clear advantage, this change it's worth the candle!... "

..but here there also another point to take into consideration before saying " Eureka! " I've found the final solution...or rather..

Actually the strain put on a HD computer ( Speaking of graphics ) is almost 1 quarter lower in respect to one in 4K for example, becuase the HD resolution is about 4 times lower in respect to the 4K one ( It's not exactly so but this sample is just to give the idea ).
    So this means that doubling the visual range for any resolutions you will have also the double video card strain for HD users, two times more strain on 2K users graphics and 2 times more strain put on 4K users graphics... ( Again, it doesn't work exactly so, this is just to provide and example easy to be visualised in your minds )
    We got already now lots of people reporting issues with stutters and graphic problems in HD and higher resolutions...What do you think will happen if we will aplly what's written above?
    IMHO I don't believe the FPS hit will be that bad. Without trying it of course, I can't say I know this for fact. However, there is little to render in this desolate environment. Is it the right choice to limit 4k users to an unrealistic 5km visibility bubble? Does TFS want to exclude those people? I have no problem with the fact that 1080p users can see farther than me. If I have 10k and they have 24 then fine. I can still see them and react in time. They still have to get to me. The main issue with the 5k render is you can forget about finding shipping convoys when you have to fly right over them to spot them.

skud

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

I'm pretty much on your same way of thinking. I do not think it will have a huge impact on my PC and I do not think that TFS is trying to exclude some players in respect to others.
    At the moment I presume that, before taking care of these things, they are only busy with other stuffs more important or that require their attention first.
    I'm pretty sure that in the future they will take a look at this but, in the meanwhile, on our side we need to let show up more people and let them participate to the discussion so we can have more feedbacks about this.
    The more we will be, the more " our " requests/feedbacks could have the chamce to be considered, I presume.

My PC specs