Thread: Take-off fuel limits

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Take-off fuel limits

Is there any guidance on fuel amounts anywhere, it seems to me (based just on Wellington and Hurricane MkIIc) that with any sort of bomb load the permissible fuel amount goes drastically low.

For the Wellington that seems ok, I read they had to limit bomb load depending on target distance, and i haven't had any trouble getting to a target due to fuel so far...but when I tried to take the hurricane with the 2 x 250lbs online last night I had to drag it down to about 20%? which is barely enough time to settle in to one's sherry and enjoy the flight let alone get to a target.

Are the figures right? Is there maybe actually some wriggle room in them when I come to set my fuel amounts?
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Re: Take-off fuel limits

Are you frantically trying to keep takeoff weight numbers in the black? Not sure I understand the problem.

The takeoff weight in the loadout menu is compared to a nominal "normal" takeoff weight specified within the game files. If you exceed that the takeoff weight number turns red. That however doesnt mean you won't be able to takeoff at all, it simply means you're now in an overload condition and might need a longer distance to take off and should be more cautious during takeoff. For the single engined fighters going overload is hardly an issue, some of the bigger twin engined aircraft might however be tricky to get into the air in that condition.

3. Likes Yo-Yo, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    Are you frantically trying to keep takeoff weight numbers in the black?...
    Yes I was, I thought it was a definite limit. Thanks.

I tend to work on this principle by default:

coral.jpg
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Sep-09-2020 at 08:25.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

What Karaya says is perfectly right, still as a mission builder you should consider some things:

- Never give a D.520 full fuel load. This was never done for combat missions, only for long distance transfers. 55% is the normal load out.

- The twin engine types usually can load huge amounts of fuel that will never be used in normal game missions. I never take more than 30% in a Beaufighter and can easily fly two or three times as long as a Spit or a Hurri. Loading 100% of fuel would make it terribly slow and sluggish. If you fully load a Wellington it can go all the way to Berlin and back. Here again 30% will be enough for most missions in game.

S!

DerDa

6. Likes 1lokos liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

JU88 is a bear to get off the ground fully loaded, though it can be done. Really though, you don't need more than 30% fuel to go to the end of the map and back. If you do take 100% bomb load and 100% fuel, make sure you have a long runway, and give it flaps once you get your airspeed up and your tail off the ground. And get that gear and flaps back up quick once you get off the ground and you'll pick up speed pretty quickly.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    - Never give a D.520 full fuel load. This was never done for combat missions, only for long distance transfers. 55% is the normal load out.
    Just a small correction: 62% is the normal load for the D.520. Above that the ferry tanks are getting filled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    JU88 is a bear to get off the ground fully loaded, though it can be done. Really though, you don't need more than 30% fuel to go to the end of the map and back. If you do take 100% bomb load and 100% fuel, make sure you have a long runway, and give it flaps once you get your airspeed up and your tail off the ground. And get that gear and flaps back up quick once you get off the ground and you'll pick up speed pretty quickly.
    This is not exact science, but for the Ju88 a good quick and dirty approximation is as follows:

The average fuel consumption is about 1.4 liters per km. That is approximately 1.1 kg of fuel per km. So before a bomb run, estimate your total flying distance and take that amount of fuel +10% in kg (you can add another 5-10% for the unforeseen diversion...).

The Ju 88 has 4 tanks, two inner and two outer tanks. The engines are fed from the inner tanks only. Any fuel in the outer tanks needs to me manually transferred to the inner tanks to be used (procedure is described in the Flashcards). The outer tanks start to be filled at 50-51% fuel load. That corresponds to 624 kg of fuel, so in theory if your bomb run is less than 300km (600 km with the return) you do not need to carry any fuel in the reserve tanks. At an average speed of 350 km/h, this also corresponds to a flight time of approximately 100 minutes (one hour and 40 minutes), which is a looong time for one bomb run.

For takeoffs at full load, use a "10 second" flaps setting. That means hit the flaps down key, slowly count to 10, then stop it (put it on neutral). Take off at around 180 km/h (do not exceed as you might burst a tire). Immediately retract the gear otherwise it may get stuck if you build speed too much. Above 200 km/h retract flaps and adjust ata and rpm to climb at 250 km/h. The plane is slow to respond...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Sep-10-2020 at 00:34.
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

10. Likes Kendy for the State liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I did a test flight in the Wellington to get some solid data.

I took off from Heathrow with 20% fuel and flew directly to Boulogne climbing to 18,000ft.

Cruising altitude was reached just as I crossed the coast of England.

Then I bombed Boulogne and flew back to Heathrow.

Total flight time 1h 19m. Fuel used 44gals.

This would be a very short range mission for a Wellington.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post