Thread: Leo Bodnar Card Mapping

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Leo Bodnar Card Mapping

I’ve used a Bodnar card for years in other games. Does anyone have experience mapping toggle switches and buttons in this sim using a Leo Bodnar card? In particular on-off-on or momentary buttons etc.

Reason I ask is some games don’t map key strokes into toggle switches and buttons very well. S!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Re: Leo Bodnar Card Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by UTC View Post
    I’ve used a Bodnar card for years in other games. Does anyone have experience mapping toggle switches and buttons in this sim using a Leo Bodnar card? In particular on-off-on or momentary buttons etc.

Reason I ask is some games don’t map key strokes into toggle switches and buttons very well. S!
    I do it all the time... first with an Arduino Teensy, then with Bodnar's boards, then with my own design. I mostly use SPDT ON-OFF-ON momentary toggle switches, but with some pushbuttons also. What specifically are you looking to find out?
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have a bunch of toggle switches which are on-off-on. Will those work for say to raise and lower gear? I know with those switches once in the on position it’s continuously sending a signal unlike a momentary. So yes I’m looking to set up landing gear, Flaps, etc. I’ve built a lancaster pit from years ago that I’ll set up again but I’ll be building a button box for all the other keys.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I have a bunch of toggle switches which are on-off-on. Will those work for say to raise and lower gear? I know with those switches once in the on position it’s continuously sending a signal unlike a momentary. So yes I’m looking to set up landing gear, Flaps, etc. I’ve built a lancaster pit from years ago that I’ll set up again but I’ll be building a button box for all the other keys.
    Mapping generally requires a momentary switch... You could use a SPDT non-momentary switch for UP and Down gear, with the understanding that when the switch is in the UP position the gear will go up, but that when you flip the switch back to the center (OFF) position, nothing will change, and you will have to flip the switch to the other (DOWN) position to get the gear to go down. Also be aware that on many controller boards, if the digital inputs are matrixed then you generally can't have two switches activated at the same time, as they will interfere with each other. On the boards I sell all digital inputs are isolated from each other (in that they each have their own individual pin from the microcontroller) so you can have as many inputs in the ON position as you want. I believe there is a version of the Bodnar board that also works this way. I believe there is also third-party software available that will allow you to map two functions to a switch or button, so that when the switch is pressed it can do one thing, and when it is released it will do another. If you are using a controller board that has analog inputs, you might consider using those analog ports for functions like flaps, gear, radiator, etc. for a more realistic feel.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I have a bunch of toggle switches which are on-off-on. Will those work for say to raise and lower gear? I know with those switches once in the on position it’s continuously sending a signal unlike a momentary.
    A continuous signal ON don't cause issue for most games, but you can turn a continuous signal in a momentary using a optocoupler circuit, that have the disadvantage of need a external power supply if you want handle much buttons or add LED's (optional) like in the circuit:

Optocoupler.jpg

Or just map this ON-OFF, ON-OFF-ON switches through a keymapper software - e.g. Joystick Gremlin.

CUB "joystick" firmware for Arduino already to this ON for mommentary translation in the firmware.

http://lynx.dk/cub-firmware/

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info guys. That answers what I need to know.