Thread: Game wont start (Kinda)

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Game wont start (Kinda) [FIXED]

So, there is this problem where, when I try to open the game, at first it shows the name of the game like always, but then there's this black screen, it stays like this for about 4-6 seconds and then it crashes, no error repported after the crash. Ive tried everything, from reinstaling the game 4 times, clearing cache, turning off steam overlay, changing the launcher's compatibility mode to Win7. All the files are intact.
    Idk what to do anymore. It all happened after a recent patch, about a little over 1 month ago.
    If somebody know how to fix this, I would really appreciate it!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by WhiteFoxN1; Sep-12-2020 at 13:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Game wont start (Kinda)

Hello WhiteFox

This is probably an Anti-Virus issue.

The game has changed as a result of the patch, so the Launcher64 .exe of the game is now regarded as a different file... and the AV for whatever reason decides it does not like the file and blocks it.

I would recommend you add an exception in your AV/Windows Defender for both the Launcher and also the entire folder for IL-2 Sturmovik CLIFFS OF DOVER/DESERT WINGS.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFoxN1 View Post
    So, there is this problem where, when I try to open the game, at first it shows the name of the game like always, but then there's this black screen, it stays like this for about 4-6 seconds and then it crashes, no error repported after the crash. Ive tried everything, from reinstaling the game 4 times, clearing cache, turning off steam overlay, changing the launcher's compatibility mode to Win7. All the files are intact.
    Idk what to do anymore. It all happened after a recent patch, about a little over 1 month ago.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Thank you!
    Also, it could be a Directx issue. Can you please post your PC specs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Have you tried to install the files inside \\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist?

Maybe it can help

This will also help

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Hello WhiteFox

This is probably an Anti-Virus issue.

The game has changed as a result of the patch, so the Launcher64 .exe of the game is now regarded as a different file... and the AV for whatever reason decides it does not like the file and blocks it.

I would recommend you add an exception in your AV/Windows Defender for both the Launcher and also the entire folder for IL-2 Sturmovik CLIFFS OF DOVER/DESERT WINGS.
    Well, I had problems with the AV before like 1 month ago but It had checked it for viruses and it was clear so it doesnt block it.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030
    RAM: 8GB

Not sure what else to put here :/

7. Likes danperin liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Well, I had problems with the AV before like 1 month ago but It had checked it for viruses and it was clear so it doesnt block it.
    And adding Launcher64.exe to the list of exceptions of your AV didn‘t work either?

In case you didn‘t add it, would be good to just to make sure that is not a factor.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Since it starts and then stops, I don't think the AV has something to do with it (unless the AV is blocking a file that is loaded after a few seconds).
    Please go to "my documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" and see if there are any error messages on the "log.txt" file.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Since it starts and then stops, I don't think the AV has something to do with it (unless the AV is blocking a file that is loaded after a few seconds).
    Please go to "my documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" and see if there are any error messages on the "log.txt" file.
    No errors are shown there, only timestamps and stuff I've done during a battle :/

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by J-HAT View Post
    And adding Launcher64.exe to the list of exceptions of your AV didn‘t work either?

In case you didn‘t add it, would be good to just to make sure that is not a factor.
    Yeah, I'll try that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

No errors are shown there, only timestamps and stuff I've done during a battle :/
    Oh! so it did work at some point!?
    Then let's think... what has changed since the last time it ran? Updates? new software installed?

Also, you could try deleting (or renaming) the my "documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" and let the game recreate it just to make sure there's no weird stuff in there.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Then let's think... what has changed since the last time it ran? Updates? new software installed?

Also, you could try deleting (or renaming) the my "documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" and let the game recreate it just to make sure there's no weird stuff in there.
    Well, there was this small patch of the game and nothing else (That I noticed).
    And I will try this, good Idea!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

(Let me curse here) OH MY FUKIN GOSH!!! I LOVE YOU!!!
    It took like 2 minutes to load, then it wasnt only black screen with the name, I actually flew, I have to make my controls again tho but who cares, I CAN PLAY!! TY again!