Thread: Auto radiators in Bf109 -F4

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    44.13 MB

Auto radiators in Bf109 -F4

Can you set them to manual? Also while they are on automatic, the indicator chart on my screen only shows a - or 0%. How do I know it is working properly? Does anyone have screenshot of the F series cockpit with the instrument panel labeled?
    Thanks

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: Auto radiators in Bf109 -F4

Look to your lower right in the cockpit, just above the red emergency release handle. There is a black handle with an arrow pointing upwards.
    Up is automatic, down is manual. Right is opening and left is closing. That is the only feedback you get, and only when using it on manual.

Map the key to toggle between auto/manual and use the open and close binds to move it. There is no feedback though. The indication in the info boxes (analog or in %) is only for where the handle is, so if you are pressing open or close. Once you let go, it shows 0 input.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

3. Likes dziki liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    44.13 MB

Thank you for the info, I also wanted to know where to look for the oil and coolant temperature which I think is next to the prop pitch indicator. Does that monitor both coolant and oil?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Yeah, the indicator to the right of the dashboard. About halfway from the bottom. The one with the left side green and right side red.
    Top scale is water, bottom scale is oil. But you need to press the button on the right of the display for the needle to change to oil.

Mouse hover only shows water temp, though. So zoom in to read oil temp. In my experience you don‘t need to monitor oil temps with the Fs. Just water if you push the engine too far or has a problem.

While wer are at it, in the Fs there is also the option to close individual water cooling circuits in case they get damaged. Left and right that is. Close Radiator Circuit 1 and 2 (1 is left, shows as zero in „technochat“) in the key binds or something similar. Or use the two grey handles left and right of the cockpit, where your knees would be. Left is under the throttle quadrant and right is behind the manual radiator handle. Same height for both.
    Last edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT; Sep-13-2020 at 10:50. Reason: Forgot to add to press the button
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

6. Likes dziki liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    44.13 MB

Thank you J-Hat, this has contributed greatly to me being able to fly the 109-F. Maybe I can get online now and fly with some confidence!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Glad to help.

If you are not confident enough yet, take the derated versions of the 109F. You can basically slam the throttle to 100% and fly the whole day like that without overheating (rads on auto, of course). Your rpms won‘t go past 2600 which is the magic number for them.
    You won‘t have the additional power in an emergency but you will definetly not bust your engine because your temps went too high while you were concentrating in the fight.

9. Likes ATAG_Flare, rontaila, dziki liked this post