Thread: basics of a wellington ??

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

basics of a wellington ??

I have flown the Ju 88 for a while and turned into a German now I am looking to fly the new Wellington and dont have a good feel for it , miles per hour, setting up the compass ,cockpit layout, oh gad very different to me . here is a simplified run thru of what I am trying so far
    I know there will be different methods for different folks but here is what I am doing Let me know of better suggestions thanks . I set my throttle to 5% start up ,get both engines going wait till it warms up to maybe 27 Deg put props to 100% add full throttle and wait a bit for more warming . as I wait I set compass lines parallel to the north line and set DG to match any offset
    I add flaps Its hard to tell how much I am putting on then a little elevator trim to nose up, a lot of that really . then I roll slowly to take off i slowly and gently rotate up much less than the 88 I think . now I am flying but I am pretty slow maybe 110 MPH i set props to maybe 65 % throttle is not full maybe 70-80 % but i collect myself make sure flaps are up& gear , set up bombs and look at my heading but I feel like I am not getting much out of the plane if I set up my course and mode 22 auto pilot I can get maybe 150 mph or 160 . I throttle up to 100% set my props around 60 % close rads a bit and I am ok but I think a little slow . I have not done any changes to the mixture and I trim it out to a flat running state . My navigation is weak because its not as user friendly to me as the blue aircraft . question wise I dont seem to be able to go to side gunner stations just front or rear , I am having questions about the bomb sight also I set my number of bombs to drop but i guess there is no equivalent to the bomb spacing on the blues just pick a total number and spacing is fixed ? . the bombs are bigger I think but not so many maybe a dozen not sure . with the lofte I look in and see a sight picture here I dont know yet , do I have to turn it on ? I am using all the Lofte key bindings so maybe something is not laid out yet . I will probably need to jump into a bomber position on a red plane to try more things. i open that little dimmer control and see a clear mirror but no reticle or anything like that . I have not tried a high altitude run yet stll learning to fly the plane better maybe it turns on after stabilizing like the lofte . I understand the concepts of the sight but not familiar with the nuts and bolts of it very well , Has anyone tried it at altitude yet how are you doing ships ?? skip bombing or some altitude bombing I am skip bombing with the 88 but casualties are high on well armed ships . well If you have any thoughts on this discussion fire away . I have not even tried torpedo's yet you would think they would be great for ships but reading about Midway that may not be the case dive bombing prevailed there . so how are the rest of you bombers doing in the wellington?

TGIF

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.42 MB

Re: basics of a wellington ??

Well, you can do it right (as it is explained in the flashcard) or you can do it the easy way:

Turn on fuel cocks, prop pitch 100%, radiator 100%, start engines, wait for 2 minutes, take off.
    Cruise with 80% pitch, 80 % throttle and 100% rads.

Works perfectly fine, nothing else needed.

For navigation the Tobruk map is simple: blue = north, yellow = south.
    If you want to find a distant target, look at the map first, then follow the roads.

Always attack low level, this saves you a lot of time for climbing and learning the bombsight and very often also the time for flying all the way back

3. Likes ATAG_Flare, tgif liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    315.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Well, you can do it right (as it is explained in the flashcard) or you can do it the easy way:

Turn on fuel cocks, prop pitch 100%, radiator 100%, start engines, wait for 2 minutes, take off.
    Cruise with 80% pitch, 80 % throttle and 100% rads.

Works perfectly fine, nothing else needed.

For navigation the Tobruk map is simple: blue = north, yellow = south.
    If you want to find a distant target, look at the map first, then follow the roads.

Always attack low level, this saves you a lot of time for climbing and learning the bombsight and very often also the time for flying all the way back
    Now this is the style of a true multiplayer CloD flier. Fastest way to the target, bomb, crash, repeat.

5. Likes tgif liked this post
    Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    197.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Now this is the style of a true multiplayer CloD flier. Fastest way to the target, bomb, crash, repeat.
    Actually, I love to come back to base and always try my best to do so.
    Voluntarily crashing or bailing out without need I consider (for myself) as cheating .

I just wanted to demonstrate the 'easy way'.

7. Likes tgif, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by tgif View Post
    , I am having questions about the bomb sight also I set my number of bombs to drop but i guess there is no equivalent to the bomb spacing on the blues just pick a total number and spacing is fixed ? . the bombs are bigger I think but not so many maybe a dozen not sure . with the lofte I look in and see a sight picture here I dont know yet , do I have to turn it on ? I am using all the Lofte key bindings so maybe something is not laid out yet . I will probably need to jump into a bomber position on a red plane to try more things. i open that little dimmer control and see a clear mirror but no reticle or anything like that . I have not tried a high altitude run yet stll learning to fly the plane better maybe it turns on after stabilizing like the lofte . I understand the concepts of the sight but not familiar with the nuts and bolts of it very well , Has anyone tried it at altitude yet how are you doing ships ?? skip bombing or some altitude bombing I am skip bombing with the 88 but casualties are high on well armed ships . well If you have any thoughts on this discussion fire away . I have not even tried torpedo's yet you would think they would be great for ships but reading about Midway that may not be the case dive bombing prevailed there . so how are the rest of you bombers doing in the wellington?

TGIF
    I climb at 130 mph mainly watching my #2 cylinder head temps (under 240). 25% fuel.

Bombsight: I usually take the 18 250lb and just put on the salvo drop (airfield attacks) still a long spread. Open the dimmer and turn on sight illumination for the crosshairs. Bombsight enters the airspeed and altitude automatically. You can enter wind and height above sea level but doing fine with no worrying about those. I always take over the nose gunner so it is facing straight ahead to help find the targets only entering the bombardier when I am close to dropping.

Usually bombing from 15k + (airfield attacks mainly so far)

Not able to get into the side gunners, only front and tail atm.
    Last edited by Torric270; Sep-13-2020 at 19:28.

9. Likes tgif liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

This is all great stuff for me thanks turn on cross hairs whoda thunk that !!!! and it enter speed and alt automatically very nice and sounds like the speeds I am seeing are about right also good you have no Idea how this all helped me thanks again all

tgif

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    315.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Actually, I love to come back to base and always try my best to do so.
    Voluntarily crashing or bailing out without need I consider (for myself) as cheating .

I just wanted to demonstrate the 'easy way'.
    Yeah, I always prefer to land back at base as well. But you can't deny that a map can be rolled in half the time if bomber pilots forget about the return journey!