Thread: The wind noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

The wind noise

The loud howling wind noise when you jettison the canopy, has the volume been turned down for some reason? I just loved that noise. Reading in all my books about pilots who had to bail out many of them comment of the wind howling into the cockpit when they jettison the canopy. Even when the sliding window on the 109s was opened that made quite a noise. If we can have the volume turned up again that would be great...If it's the same then it's something in my game settings lol

"He released his safety belt. As he came out of the next turn, he tripped the emergency release for the canopy. The plexiglass cover went whipping in the slipstream and wind howled and tore around the cockpit." From The Blond Knight of Germany

Howled and tore. That's the way it use to sound

EDIT...Go to 29:50 I hope Marleo doesn't mind but this is the way it should sound in my opinion

Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-21-2020 at 10:48.

2. Likes major_setback, ATAG_Hawk, ATAG_Soldat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Re: The wind noise

I have the same wind noise whether the canpoy is open or closed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Same complaint here for the RAF Fighters since forever. Just removing the helmet should make noise levels uncomfortable... Opening or removing the canopy should remove all other noises except wind, gunfire and engine sounds. The wind should be deafening at speeds above 120 mph.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

A new sound mix would be great anyway.
    Noise is an important feedback not only for flying conditions like speed and stall but also for flaps, landinggear, bomb release - and hits in the airframe! When Flak cuts off your ruder you should hear an "bang/crack" at least, when a flak hit smashes your Revi right in front of you and kills your gunner behind you there should be some noise. Because we can't actually feel lift, drag, and G's noise is often the only feedback system.
    cheers, henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

6. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Soldat, von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I'll have to see if I can find an older movie of myself or someone else bailing out

found one go to 29:50...Now that's the way it should sound!!!

Hope you don't mind Marleo
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-21-2020 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I have the same wind noise whether the canpoy is open or closed!
    Same here.
    Inside (an Spitfire) cockpit is too loud now, forcing lower Windows volume, making other game sounds less audible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    7.60 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Same here.
    Inside (an Spitfire) cockpit is too loud now, forcing lower Windows volume, making other game sounds less audible.
    Agreed!
    i5-12600K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z690 MB, 64 GB Kingston Fury DDR4-3200, Asus RTX 4070 OC, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, 43 inch Vizio V435M-K04 G-Sync Compatible 4K TV @ 3480 X 2160, CH HOTAS, Fighter Stick, CH Yoke, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, Oculus Quest 2 VR

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Noise is great for all the reasons mentioned here, but the noise experienced by WWII pilots with the canopy off etc is certainly well into dangerous levels for hearing loss.

That was something those pilots just had to live with--and many of them lived with the hearing loss for the rest of their life. One of my high school teachers was in the navy in WWII, shooting those big guns, and by the time I knew him 30 years later he had basically zero high-frequency hearing left.

So realistic, yes. Dangerous, also yes.

I fly Hurricanes quite a bit and that means flying with the cockpit open quite a bit. With the old "loud" wind levels, the only way I could get the wind noise soft enough to stay below hearing-damage levels was by cutting the program's main volume way, way, way down. To the point where ordinary engine noise, gunfire, and other sounds that you really want and need to hear while playing, were far too soft to be heard.

Point is, realism is a nice thing to think about but when it comes to sounds, protecting the hearing of users has to come far before absolute fidelity. Additionally, keeping all the sounds in the game within a certain range--regardless of how wide the range may have been in real life--helps to keep everything usable and audible without putting anything into the dangerously loud zone.

FWIW danger of hearing loss is the product of loudness and exposure time. So something like the canopy-open wind sound, which might be endured by avid CloD pilots for some hours every week or even every day over the course of a year, has to be kept a considerable degree softer than something you might hear for a few minutes or seconds a week or only rarely and briefly.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

11. Likes DerDa liked this post