Thread: Damage decals seem weak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Damage decals seem weak?

I have my settings on high for Damage Decals " but the results in game seem disappointing to me.The damage on the aircraft in outside views appear to be insignificant, while inside the cockpit I can have the instruments shot out & oils covering the windscreen.In this case i had 2 bullet holes in the upper decking of the fuselage and that was it. Bombers I've attack do lose wing & tail parts its true , but bullet damage ( i.e. bullet holes ) is very limited unless you count frayed elevator & ailerons.I'm not sure if cannon fire makes that much difference and getting an aircraft to catch fire takes a multitude of hits ( although I did have a small engine fire in a D-520 yesterday...interesting for sure.)
    I seem to remember in original modded CloD and perhaps Blitz battle damage was more evident.I could be wrong of course, but wondered if this small amount I'm seeing now might be related to FPS in some way...?
    Last edited by Blitzen; Sep-15-2020 at 11:40. Reason: edit

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Re: Damage decals seem weak?

I must add that I flew an older CloD BoB mission in a Hurricane and was killed & my aircraft blasted to ribbons by a 109 on my 6 o'clock- a real difference between what I had been experiencing in visible damage in newere\ DWT aircraft,it seemed to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

I would like to add to this thread. This is not a bug, but I think there is room for improvement here.

This has to do with flying the Spit VB in DWT. I have notice while flying the Spit VB Trop that wing damage is seldom seen from the cockpit.

What I mean by this comment is this... when damage occurs I will get a damage report displayed in the cockpit saying that guns are damage which usually means I have wing damage, a quick look at the wings for hole size will most of the times show nothing, no damage. I am looking for flak size holes, cannon size holes, or machine gun size holes as I did in Blitz. Now here is the good and bad of this. The actual flight model has changed, this is good because damage should do that, I wish it would occur on the 109's that I blow off half the vertical elevator or a whole wing slate. But since I see no holes I do not know how much it has changed, and at times a normal high speed tight turn will put me into a spin. And a spin with wing damage is really hard to recover from!

Conversely, in Blitz, I have had big square holes in the wing, sometimes in the leading edge of the wing and really did not notice much degrade in handling performance, other than speed. There may have been some, but not to the degree I feel in DWT. But of course the Spit VB does have a different wing which may add to the equation?

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

It has happened more than just a few times, but I will try to be more specific, it may take some time. No Bullet hole seen on either side of the wing after Weapon Damage text appears happens most of the time IMO, I usually only look at the wing when the Weapons Damage text is generated. Like I said I will try to figure out more later, I usually fly a couple hours a day Single Player and Servers.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.24 MB

So, is the quality of "damage decals" still the same as in previous versions of game? Can somebody confirm that? Because I have also strange feeling (only feeling) that vizualization of damage is not so detailed like in old versions of CloD. Sometimes i think that now bullet holes from MGs and especially cannons always appear at fixed, default places no matter where the bullet actually hit. Additionally sometimes i get bad beating, but for example my Spitfire has 4-5 holes visible and that is all. Did somebody test damage vizualization or compare it with previous versions of CloD and could share the results?

69th_Spiritus showed nice pictures of damaged Martlet, but i can't remember if i had situation that any of fighters in IL2 CloD Blitz v5.0+ (without Tobruk addon) look even similar to this Martlet when they get hit very hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I don't think it's bugged.

Here are some screenshots I've taken over the past few weeks. All the 109s only by .303 fire, the Macchi hit by .50 cal, the Hurricane was hit by 7.92 mm and 15mm AP, and the Spitfire was hit by cannon.

HE cannon round damage does show up at pre-set locations, this is because the blown apart panels and holes and shredded metal has been 3D modelled in set locations. But all MG hits and also .50 cal and 15mm ball/AP hits will show a decal exactly where it entered the plane (decals do not appear on bullet exit locations which is a shame).

What I believe is that many players think that there should be many more bullet holes than there actually should - if you do a single mission it will tell you how many shots you hit, I bet if you do a 1v1 dogfight the number will be lower than you think. It doesn't take many hits to down a plane.

I do think that the damange decals usually correspond quite well with the amount of rounds I land on target. Note that often you'll hit a bunch of shots in the same location that can be harder to see, such as on the tail or the bottom of the fuselage or something.

109 Shot by Hurriane Mk I, 30+ bullet holes in left side only.

109 shot by Hurricane Mk II, 15+ bullet holes from this angle, much more likely on the wing not visible from this angle.

109 shot by Spitfire Mk I, 26 bullet holes by my count.

C 202 shot by Martlet, 13 bullet holes from this angle, likely more on underside from radiator damage. Seems about correct, about half as many hits as the Spit and Hurri shots but the Martlet has half the guns at a lower ROF, and the .50 cal holes are larger.

Spitfire shot by 109 F-4, many large HE impacts visible, these are the pre-set damage visuals that you mention.

Hurricane shot by Bf 109 F-2 (15mm version), 16 bullet holes on the left side + totally messed up rudder - also seems accurate.

8. Likes von Graf, 5th Hellrider, farley, Dupxo liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Flare;366232]I don't think it's bugged. What I believe is that many players think that there should be many more bullet holes than there actually should - if you do a single mission it will tell you how many shots you hit, I bet if you do a 1v1 dogfight the number will be lower than you think. It doesn't take many hits to down a plane.

I agree with this - often in Hollywood etc film scenes of aerial combat they depict large numbers of concentrated bullet hits on an aircraft as if it had been machine-gunned from a few feet away whilst stationary, whereas in reality hits seemed to be very dispersed (even if the aircraft was hit at the ideal distance for gun harmonisation).

There are photos of BoB German bombers which got home after hundreds of .303 bullet strikes - but they seem to be scattered all over the place and certainly not concentrated.

10. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dupxo View Post
    So, is the quality of "damage decals" still the same as in previous versions of game? Can somebody confirm that? Because I have also strange feeling (only feeling) that vizualization of damage is not so detailed like in old versions of CloD. Sometimes i think that now bullet holes from MGs and especially cannons always appear at fixed, default places no matter where the bullet actually hit. Additionally sometimes i get bad beating, but for example my Spitfire has 4-5 holes visible and that is all. Did somebody test damage vizualization or compare it with previous versions of CloD and could share the results?

69th_Spiritus showed nice pictures of damaged Martlet, but i can't remember if i had situation that any of fighters in IL2 CloD Blitz v5.0+ (without Tobruk addon) look even similar to this Martlet when they get hit very hard.
    Those photos are just showing that the DM detail is there, I doubt anyone would ever be able to shoot a plane to trigger them all. I was able to do that in a testing scenario.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.65 MB

I was wondering the same,some planes seem to show damage more than others.
    I was attacking a D-520 ,I shot it down ,but on the replay it showed little effects?,even though I thought I had riddled it.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.24 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAGMAN View Post
    I was wondering the same,some planes seem to show damage more than others.
    I was attacking a D-520 ,I shot it down ,but on the replay it showed little effects?,even though I thought I had riddled it.
    When i was flying D520 yesterday i once got some hits from Bf109F-4 cannon and i could notice couple of big holes in my wing, so perhaps everything is fine, but i will check this out in SP mode.

Answer to main topic - i investigated the issue with damage vizualization and i think that it is fine. In SP mode i was shooting to Spitfires, Hurricanes, Bf109E and He111, Do17 and their damage vizualization was a good quality.