Thread: Is it possible to change default AI German skins to historically correct ones???

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Is it possible to change default AI German skins to historically correct ones???

I believe this topic was first addressed with the debut of BLITZ but never read the final answer, so permit me to address it again now playing Desert Wings Tobruk. I never play on line , so that means I fly only SM’s & Campaigns . I’d like all the German aircraft to have historical markings with swastikas .Of course I can change the plane I’m flying by using third party skins, some of which I can import from CloD and of course newer ones found here, but AI aircraft are a different matter. In all of them the tail markings are either absent of have a standard fuselage cross which to my eye just looks all wrong they aren’t as good as a solution as found on default skins over at GB which are simply four short bars at right angles. So gettin to it is it possible to choose some of the historically marked third party skins And replace the default ones, also doing copies of all of these “new” skins to use if & when a new download or a check of files might go back to the original ones? Its a chore but to me would be worthwhile...
    Originally posted at the GB/DWT site.)

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.81 MB

Re: Is it possible to change default AI German skins to historically correct ones???

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    I believe this topic was first addressed with the debut of BLITZ but never read the final answer, so permit me to address it again now playing Desert Wings Tobruk. I never play on line , so that means I fly only SM’s & Campaigns . I’d like all the German aircraft to have historical markings with swastikas .Of course I can change the plane I’m flying by using third party skins, some of which I can import from CloD and of course newer ones found here, but AI aircraft are a different matter. In all of them the tail markings are either absent of have a standard fuselage cross which to my eye just looks all wrong they aren’t as good as a solution as found on default skins over at GB which are simply four short bars at right angles. So gettin to it is it possible to choose some of the historically marked third party skins And replace the default ones, also doing copies of all of these “new” skins to use if & when a new download or a check of files might go back to the original ones? Its a chore but to me would be worthwhile...
    Hi Blitzen,

I think if you want to change skins for AI planes, you must do it in the Full mission builder. I mean you must open each mission and change skins for all German and Italian planes there.

The official missions and campaigns (those provided with the sim) are located in the game installation folder. If you change them and keep this changed version here, there is a danger all your changes will be lost because these official missions can be updated by TFS anytime. It is possible to move the modified missions to your Documents folder where they should be safe. I'm not sure if this is so easy for campaigns too because each campaign consists of several files which may be located in several folders.

If I'm wrong and there is another way how to do it, I believe some expert will correct me and I'll learn something new.

Josef
    Last edited by Josef; Sep-16-2020 at 13:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Re: Is it possible to change default AI German skins to historically correct ones???

You can't change the default skins. It isn't possible.

The historical tail markings would make the game illegal in several countries. We wont be taking any action that could allow for that to happen.

Sorry.

Obviously, you can create your own user skins for use as non-default skins in missions etc. It is just the default skins that can't be altered by users.
    Last edited by major_setback; Sep-16-2020 at 15:34.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Yes I remember that being said back at the debut of BLITZ. I just couldn't remember if that might have changed or of there was a Mod something like the one that was introduced over at rhe modding section of Great Battles.I guess not.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    What I do is copy a variety of the default TF Luftwaffe skins from the "C" drive Paintschemes folder to the "My Documents" 1C Softclub Paintschemes folder and simply add a historical tail marking using MS Paint. Then you select one of those skins, plus set markings to "On" in the full mission builder, and you get the game's (very nice) Luftwaffe unit markings and crosses, plus your own historical tail markings.

Unfortunately you can't use custom skins for static aircraft (hopefully this will be fixed soon), but a way round this is to create a very short (2 meters!) and very wide (say 2000 meters, so the annoying yellow border flags are well out of sight) runway, and put a non-static aircraft on it with fuel set to zero so the engine stops - you then effectively have a static aircraft with your own custom skin, and with the added bonus that you can open its canopy!