Thread: Drivable Vehicles- How to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Drivable Vehicles- How to?

( Posted originally over at GB/CloD..)
    I've gotten far enough to be able to get to see the Pz II's & IV's and even get a gunsight view in the very restricted inside.I've assigned key stroke commands as best I can. The result ; nada. Although I can watch the vehicle in battle ( if there is one,) I can't command it to do anything. I'm not even sure its possible.Can someone give me a clue?

BTW: The only vehicle I really want to drive around the roads of Britain and France is the snappy MGTA roadster...Now that would be fun!Can someone figure out how this might be done?

( And yes I owned one once!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes ATAG_Oskar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Drivable Vehicles- How to?

Blitzen, the "good" news is: You can't drive Maddox Games TA Sports.

(IMHO) instead waste time/resource trying make those crude CloD tank (looks a 1995 thing) player controllable, specially now that
    IL2: Tank Crew set the tank "bar" very high, TFS could just make Maddox TA Sports and Kubelwagen drivable,
    this will add a lot fun for single player missions.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    ( Posted originally over at GB/CloD..)
    I've gotten far enough to be able to get to see the Pz II's & IV's and even get a gunsight view in the very restricted inside.I've assigned key stroke commands as best I can. The result ; nada. Although I can watch the vehicle in battle ( if there is one,) I can't command it to do anything. I'm not even sure its possible.Can someone give me a clue?

BTW: The only vehicle I really want to drive around the roads of Britain and France is the snappy MGTA roadster...Now that would be fun!Can someone figure out how this might be done?

( And yes I owned one once!!)
    Only certain specific vehicles are drivable. Most BY FAR are not drivable.

Here is the list of drivable vehicles per the TF 4.0 release readme file. As near as I can tell, all of these are still operable/drivable in 5.0. There may be some additional drivable vehicles in 5.0; I'm not certain about that either way:
    Working/pilot-controllable Vehicles

German

Sdkfz 251/A Halftrack
    Sdkfz 222 Armoured Car
    Pz Mk IIC Light Tank
    Pz Mk IIIF Medium Tank Armor.Pz_IIIF
    Pz Mk 38T Medium Tank (captured Czech)
    Pz Mk IVD Heavy Tank Armor.Pz_IVD

French

Somua S-35 Medium Tank
    Char 1 Bis Heavy Tank

British

Guy Mk IA Armoured Car* Armor.Guy_Mk_IA
    Vickers Mk VIC Light Tank* Armor.Vickers_Mk_VIC
    Valentine Mk I Medium Tank Armor.Valentine_I
    Matilda IIA Heavy Tank Armor.Matilda_2A

*Work in progress vehicles, currently have gunsight bugs

Flak/Artillery

Bofors 40mm AAA
    Zwillingssockel Twin 7.92mm AAA
    Flak 30 20mm AAA
    Flak 32 88mm AAA
    3 Inch AAA
    105mm Artillery

In italics is the vehicle ID as you'll see it in .mis files, for those vehicles I happen to know.

Driving:

- Set up keyboard controls in settings/controls. For example I have arrow keys set up for forward, brake, left, right and then Alt-D to change direction.

- So to drive I hold down the up-arrow key. That is like holding down the accelerator pedal and you will gradually speed up. While still holding up-arrow, also press right-arrow to turn right & similarly for left-arrow. Down-arrow is the brakes.

- To go backwards, come to a complete halt, then Alt-D, now you are in reverse. Use up-arrow to speed up (in reverse, ie to go backwards), down arrow to brake, right/left arrows to steer. Remember to HOLD DOWN up-arrow to accelerate; don't just poke it for a half-second. Nothing will happen.

- Firing the gun is usually space bar (or whatever you have set up in controls). Generally you can drive and fire the gun but NOT aim from the driver's seat.

- If you are in the gunner's seat you can aim and fire but you can't move or drive.

AIMING & SHOOTING
    Setting up controls to aim and shoot the guns is another little nightmare of its own; see this recent thread for details. Short version:

* You control the aiming with the mouse, plus pressing a special "control key"

* Set up the special control key in Options/Controls/Aircraft and at the VERY bottom of that list, "Mouse Control".

* I believe by default it is set up to "Left Mouse"

* So in the gunner's seat, press and hold left mouse button. Now when you press/hold left mouse and move the mouse, you will be aiming the guns.

* By default (I believe) the "fire gun" button is set to "spacebar". So press "spacebar" to shoot. (See below how to set up your preferred button.)

* Some people set up left mouse button to FIRE and of course that won't work. Set it to something different, like "spacebar". Or, set up a different key to use for "Mouse Control" - I use Alt and I like it a lot better than Left Mouse. (Hold ALT and move mouse to aim, press spacebar to shoot.)

* You will notice there are several places within Options/Controls to set up fire buttons for various weapons; for the vehicle it SHOULD be the one you set up under Options/Controls/Vehicle and "Fire Current Weapon".

HOW TO GET INTO A VEHICLE, AA, OR ARTILLERY

* On the "Flag Screen" in CloD, change the selector from "Aircraft" to "Everything". Now you will see a list of all aircraft, vehicles, and artillery that you can enter.

* The list will show approx. 10km radius from your currently selected spawn point (or current location, if you are in an aircraft or recently crashed).

* Double-click the position you want to enter and you'll be in it.

* ALTERNATIVELY, if you have outside views enabled: If you are viewing any vehicle or artillery, you can enter it by pressing the "Take Control of Selected AI Aircraft" button. By default this is Alt-F2 - you can check or change it in Options/Controls/View and "Take Control of Selected AI Aircraft".

* When you press Alt-F2, if you can enter the vehicle or artillery or aircraft you are viewing, you will. If you can't enter it, nothing will happen.

BUGS

Unfortunately in version 5.0 there is a bug involving entering vehicle/artillery positions that is somewhat serious, you also can work around.

The bug is, you can enter the first position in a vehicle or artillery. But as soon as you EXIT it, you will be thrown into a sort of no-mans-land view and you can't exit that, except by exiting your current server (or offline mission). This is bug 1264 in the TF Bug Tracker.

So once you enter a vehicle or artillery position, you are committed. Unfortunately, you can't switch pilot/gunner when driving tank, which is a normal thing you would do if you could. Also you can't exit your vehicle and enter and aircraft again (except by exiting the server and then re-joining it).

So it is a bit of a pain but in TF 5.0 it DOES work for many of the most useful vehicles, using the above workarounds and instructions.
    Last edited by TWC_Flug; Sep-24-2020 at 01:15.
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

5. Likes fenbeiduo, von Graf liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

FYI, we're working to make drivable tanks & aimable/shootable AA an important part of the forthcoming TWC multiplayer campaign. We've been testing and it all works OK and adds a lot to the campaign.

As a mission designer, what you need to know about vehicles, AA, and artillery:

* Unfortunately you can't add vehicles or artillery to the the list of aircraft the player can spawn into at a spawn point

* What you do instead is, you place vehicles, tanks, AA, artillery etc (the type that are known to be player-usable) in you mission file the area of an existing spawn point. I believe the allowed distance from the spawn point is 10km. Just place them as regular AI vehicles. You will need to enter at least two waypoints for them. You can either give them two waypoints very close together (the vehicle will drive to the endpoint and then just stop and wait) or set the "timeout" for the first waypoint for something like 12 hours (the vehicle will stop and wait at the first waypoint for 12 hours).

* The player uses the instructions from the post above to enter the vehicle or artillery: Spawn into an aircraft at the spawn point, go back to the "flag screen", select "Everything", select the vehicle/artillery position desired; click to enter that position.

* If you (for example) want a special "Tank Spawn" area that is for tanks & artillery only (not aircraft) unfortunately there is no way to do this directly. You have to just enter a regular aircraft spawn point with at least one actual aircraft in it. What we have been doing is using aircraft like the Tiger Moth or maybe ME 108 as "stub aircraft" where the player jumps into that aircraft, then goes back to the flag screen to select and enter the artillery or vehicle to enter. That leaves a Tiger Moth sitting unused on the field for a little while, which usually isn't a problem.

==> If you want to make one of these special "Tank Spawn" areas somewhere on the map away from an existing airport, you'll have to define and add in Full Mission Builder at least two things: #1. The Spawn Area as explained above #2. The associated Airfield and airfield points. These are the places where your Tiger Moth (or other aircraft) will actually spawn in. If you don't provide these, the aircraft will spawn in on the nearest defined airfield, which may be too far away from your tanks/vehicles/artillery for them to be accessed by the player.

Usually I will draw something like 4 spawn-in points on the airfield/airfield points area I'm making to go with the Tank Spawn area.

Link to quick instructions for drawing airfield points in FMB: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=38743
    System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362, 20,437 MB |
    ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Intel Core i5-2500 Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 | Intel DB65AL motherboard | ARCTIC Freezer i11 CPU Cooler | SVGA 500 watt power supply | Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback joystick

7. Likes fenbeiduo, von Graf liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.02 MB

FYI I made a thread on this topic on the FMB forum area, and included further explanation and a sample mission file for any interested mission builders. Thread is here.

9. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

So if not the MGTA, can I drive a British tank through the British country side?
    I have never fooled with the FMB and have really no idea on How to spawn , where to Spawn...etc ...Its asking alot but could someone work me through it or just wait it until it becomes easier to do...?
    I once did know who to do it with....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Try with this Quick Mission, if have patience can drive a Panzer across all France - fuel and ammo seems unlimited in this vehicles, instructions for take control in briefing.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...d&downloadid=4

Warning: you can't use F2, F3 .. cameras while driving, or AI assume the control.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-02-2020 at 17:52.

12. Likes deep liked this post
    Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.38 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TWC_Flug View Post

BUGS

Unfortunately in version 5.0 there is a bug involving entering vehicle/artillery positions that is somewhat serious, you also can work around.

The bug is, you can enter the first position in a vehicle or artillery. But as soon as you EXIT it, you will be thrown into a sort of no-mans-land view and you can't exit that, except by exiting your current server (or offline mission). This is bug 1264 in the TF Bug Tracker.

So once you enter a vehicle or artillery position, you are committed. Unfortunately, you can't switch pilot/gunner when driving tank, which is a normal thing you would do if you could. Also you can't exit your vehicle and enter and aircraft again (except by exiting the server and then re-joining it).

So it is a bit of a pain but in TF 5.0 it DOES work for many of the most useful vehicles, using the above workarounds and instructions.
    Please, check in 5.009.
    Let me know if it works now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
    Please, check in 5.009.
    Let me know if it works now.
    Work OK now, can change crew positions without end in middle of "anything and nowhere".

My attempt in twist the history in "Drogo Rescue" don't went well.

BTW - We can drive MG TA in 5.010? Blitzen and me will be very happy, I already have mission for this.

Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-11-2020 at 13:32.

15. Likes MicroWave, Bonditaria, deep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB