View Poll Results: Who would like to have the old wind bail out noise back?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 90.00%
  • No

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poll on old wind noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

My poll on old wind noise

Who would like to have the old bailout/wind noise back

yes

no

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: My poll on old wind noise

Yes!
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

3. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Whats wrong with the one we got now ?. Am i missing something ?

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

The "new" practically don't have difference in volume if cockpit are close or open/ejected. Very annoying, force lower the overall volume, what hamper other sounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    The "new" practically don't have difference in volume if cockpit are close or open/ejected. Very annoying, force lower the overall volume, what hamper other sounds.
    Right,, thanks for the reply.

Hals und beinbruch
    "Gelb Acht"
    (Karaya)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Yes and also when you open your siding window on a 109 in flight..there is no chance in wind noise volume and Cliffs of Dover use to have such great wind effect noise. It's a shame to loose it.

Go to 9:50 on the timeline of Marleo's video and you can hear the big difference in wind noise after he opens his side window

Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-30-2020 at 11:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Heavy wind noise when opening canopy/sidewindow and/or ejecting canopy can also potentially avoid another problem in the interests of realism: "pilot sonar". Actually, that refers to pilots hearing the engine noise of a stalking enemy aircraft approaching from low and behind. We would get lots of complaints from pilots that had a perfect bounce spoiled because the target aircraft would suddenly go into evasive maneuvers upon hearing the engine noise approaching from behind, even if the enemy pilot was not easily visible from behind. Lots of pilots would deliberately fly, even at high altitudes, with their canopies open. Ostensibly this was for better visibility, but the side benefit was, at the price of slightly lower top speed, to listen for enemy aircraft approaching from the rear. The loud, buffeting air noise would nullify that tactic. Besides, flying with canopy open at high altitudes in particular was unrealistic when the outside temp was -40 F!

My two cents.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It would be nice to have a sort of wind noise even when the canopy has been damaged and has holes (air gets in). This is present in IL2 BoS.

10. Likes von Graf, 9./JG52_J-HAT, \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Heavy wind noise when opening canopy/sidewindow and/or ejecting canopy can also potentially avoid another problem in the interests of realism: "pilot sonar". Actually, that refers to pilots hearing the engine noise of a stalking enemy aircraft approaching from low and behind.

At least for Bf 109 this "band-aid" don't work, you hear their compressor over all the wind and engine noise in Spitfire close cockpit.
    Hear too other planes weapons firing (cannons and MG).

About wind. Start a QM with Spit in fly, turn off engine, keep canopy close, put nose up until speed drop to ~60 MPH, will continue hearing a bass "brruummm".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-30-2020 at 16:06.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Heavy wind noise when opening canopy/sidewindow and/or ejecting canopy can also potentially avoid another problem in the interests of realism: "pilot sonar". Actually, that refers to pilots hearing the engine noise of a stalking enemy aircraft approaching from low and behind. We would get lots of complaints from pilots that had a perfect bounce spoiled because the target aircraft would suddenly go into evasive maneuvers upon hearing the engine noise approaching from behind, even if the enemy pilot was not easily visible from behind. Lots of pilots would deliberately fly, even at high altitudes, with their canopies open. Ostensibly this was for better visibility, but the side benefit was, at the price of slightly lower top speed, to listen for enemy aircraft approaching from the rear. The loud, buffeting air noise would nullify that tactic. Besides, flying with canopy open at high altitudes in particular was unrealistic when the outside temp was -40 F!

My two cents.

This ..
    Has been a bug bear of mine for years, it was one of the things when asked for 3 years ago in an ATAG forum on a poll conducted by Buzz or Colander or someone in TF
    cant rem who tbh that i commented on.

When flying a plane (Virtual) with the canopy open , you can hear the approach of another plane coming from behind when it is still 600m away, we tested this
    extensively. There is no way a pilot would be able to hear this when ... he has a bloody big engine 8 ft in front of him banging away, he is traveling at 350mph plus
    with the wind screaming past his noggin and the noise of the engine going past as well.
    If i remember correctly i was told that this sound bug was unfixable , but judging by the original post it seems that
    it has been fixed or the noise has been dampened a bit.
    I can confirm this as i have been able to sneak up on unwary planes ,with experienced pilots in them and muller them.
    Very hard to do previously , so my friends, call me selfish but i am all for keeping the sound as it is, tbh im not arsed about
    the sound of the wind rushing past me as i bail out or if i open my left side window . Why would you want to fly a 109 with it open anyway ?
    All me and my Kameraden in this Staffel know is that at last we can get within 400 m of an enemy plane and he cant hear us coming, not like before when they could
    mince around with canopy open knowing they had the security of said sound bug watching their six and split s away.

So that's my humble take on it , it will upset a few/lot of people but if you want to get as much realism into this sim as possible then i see the new sounds as a step forward
    and another major bug squashed.
    Just means you have to check your 6 more often and properly

Hals und beinbruch
    "Gelb Acht"
    (Karaya)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Just curious.. what did the pilots of the 109 with the opening for the flare pistol during the flight? I guess without coverage or stuffing a piece of cloth into it the noise and airstream would be quite annoying.
    Maybe the mechanics did build something for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    Just curious.. what did the pilots of the 109 with the opening for the flare pistol during the flight? I guess without coverage or stuffing a piece of cloth into it the noise and airstream would be quite annoying.
    Maybe the mechanics did build something for that?
    I got no idea tbh, some one will be along to clarify that question no doubt . I believe Mindle stuffs his copy of " Big and Bouncy" in there
    for those long flights

Hals und beinbruch
    "Gelb Acht"
    (Karaya)

16. Likes von Graf, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

My two cents.

Hey Snapper,

Yes, this is exactly the reason I „voted“ yes. It‘s the main thing, stopping the sound radar or at least decreasing its effectiveness. It would be great if possible.

I also share Meyer‘s view on this.
    We‘ve had many sorties where the plane would break away in a situation where having seen the approaching plane wouldn‘t have been possible (low 6). Then you see the canopy slid back.

Regarding the flare gun opening, I would think they either had a gun stuck to it all the time or close the opening. Really don‘t know.
    Imagine flying with that thing almost right on your face, it would probably have made a hell of a noise, as the air needs to get in and out basically through the same hole.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

18. Likes von Graf, 9./JG52_Meyer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

No wind noise at all is weird though. For me it's just all about immersion and I don't fly around with the canopy open that would be stupid, but when I bail out I want it to sound like the pilot described it not like I'm sitting in my truck with the windows rolled up. If it doesn't sound like that why was it done like that in the first place...?

"The plexiglass cover went whipping away in the slipstream and the wind howled and tore around the cockpit" Erich Hartmann
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-30-2020 at 13:22.

20. Likes 5th Hellrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

The other day I was just doing a random quick mission - dogfight Hurricane vs G50. I was in the Hurri and the G.50 was doing that CloD AI quirk where it just ignores me after we fought for a while and flies straight and level. I flew right up close behind him, not shooting.

I opened the hood to lean out and see him better -

and the G.50's engine was louder than my Merlin..... that's right. I couldn't hear the 12 cylinder Merlin roaring right in front of me, but I could hear the G.50s radial about 30m in front. Also next to no wind noise.

I do like that you can hear MG and flak fire from the cockpit in 5.0 but I don't think it's that realisitic. I would much prefer the deafening wind we used to have, and toned down volume of gunfire and other planes flying by.

22. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

My two cents.

Sorry Snapper misunderstood you the first time I read your post...And I need to stop being so cheap and get my prescription renewed. Then I'd be able to see what you wrote

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    No wind noise at all is weird though. For me it's just all about immersion and I don't fly around with the canopy open that would be stupid, but when I bail out I want it to sound like the pilot described it not like I'm sitting in my truck with the windows rolled up. If it doesn't sound like that why was it done like that in the first place...?

"The plexiglass cover went whipping away in the slipstream and the wind howled and tore around the cockpit" Erich Hartmann
    Agree. In fact, I added the survey to get a better picture of who also agreed/disagreed.

So...what was in my subsequent post that you disliked? Just curious!

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post364604

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    The other day I was just doing a random quick mission - dogfight Hurricane vs G50. I was in the Hurri and the G.50 was doing that CloD AI quirk where it just ignores me after we fought for a while and flies straight and level. I flew right up close behind him, not shooting.

I opened the hood to lean out and see him better -

and the G.50's engine was louder than my Merlin..... that's right. I couldn't hear the 12 cylinder Merlin roaring right in front of me, but I could hear the G.50s radial about 30m in front. Also next to no wind noise.

I do like that you can hear MG and flak fire from the cockpit in 5.0 but I don't think it's that realisitic. I would much prefer the deafening wind we used to have, and toned down volume of gunfire and other planes flying by.
    Are you sure it was not a G.49.9?
    G.50s usually fight to the end...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Here is the new noise. I made a little vid. Note the is no change at all when you open the side window and bail out canopy release is much more quiet

Old noise much better

Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-30-2020 at 15:06.

27. Likes 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Agree. In fact, I added the survey to get a better picture of who also agreed/disagreed.

So...what was in my subsequent post that you disliked? Just curious!

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...l=1#post364604

Nothing at all I misread it and gave it a thumbs down in haste ...witch I almost never do. I'd switch it to thumbs up if I could. I think I've given two thumbs down over the history of me being on this forum so I must really love my wind
    Last edited by IIJG27Rich; Sep-30-2020 at 16:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by IIJG27Rich View Post
    Nothing at all I misread it and gave it a thumbs down in haste ...witch I almost never do. I think I've given two thumbs down over the history of me being on this forum so I must really love my wind
    Ah, no worries. I was just puzzled and wondered if I was missing something.

Cheers!

30. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Smile Re: My poll on old wind noise

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Meyer View Post
    I got no idea tbh, some one will be along to clarify that question no doubt . I believe Mindle stuffs his copy of " Big and Bouncy" in there
    for those long flights

Hals und beinbruch

Guilty as charged.. But you are the Staffel expert when it comes to wind tearing out of holes, eh Meyer?

I voted yes. Louder the wind the better. More realistic.

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Mindle View Post
    But you are the Staffel expert when it comes to wind tearing out of holes, eh Meyer?

It's like looking at Rag Tags comms chat this!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I have never had the need to bail out so I don't care either way.

34. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    I have never had the need to bail out so I don't care either way.

I can't fly.

and we use to live in the ditch in the road and have a handfull of hot gravel in the morning for breakfast.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    I can't fly.

and we use to live in the ditch in the road and have a handfull of hot gravel in the morning for breakfast.

Luxury. We used to dream of living in a ditch. All 156 of us were forced to cram into a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank and lick the sides clean every morning for breakfast.

37. Likes ATAG_Oskar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

I have a question , this poll is what ? an official poll where at the end it will be actioned on the result,
    or just a poll to see how many people agree to the original posters dislike of the new sound but nothing will come of it.
    Inquiring minds wish to know

Hals und beinbruch
    "Gelb Acht"
    (Karaya)

39. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Sitting behind/next to those large WW2 engines would you REALLY hear wind noise? I think you would when the canopy is open but not when closed. Hate hearing it in the cockpit with a closed canopy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    Sitting behind/next to those large WW2 engines would you REALLY hear wind noise? I think you would when the canopy is open but not when closed. Hate hearing it in the cockpit with a closed canopy!
    Yes, and that's why we hear in a 109 a washing machine instead of the engine in CloD, as wind is recorded with the engine sound.
    Flying a 109 means we hear double time wind noise now in CloD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I think the noisy wind effect while more realistic would become a bit annoying for pilots who like to fly with the canopy open, particularly in Hurris and P40s. I can't say that I have ever heard a 109 sneaking up close behind me with the canopy open, as many who have shot me down can testify, although I sometime fly around daydreaming LOL.

Having said that I would vote for the old wind effect.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast