Thread: Flying and fighting in the D.520

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Flying and fighting in the D.520

Been doing some flying with this bird trying to prepare for the event.

It feels to me like a slower 109 - it feels like it's fighting back at me whenever I give it some elevator, expected given the rather small wings. It's nice and snappy in the roll however - I was able to evade some F-4s (hardly a fair fight at all) for quite a few attacks using some creative rolling.

What also perplexes me is the gunnery. I can't seem to hit a thing with the cannon. In the 109F for instance, with the same armament of a centreline 20mm, I have no trouble landing hits. But with the Hispano (which I have had lots of success with in the Spit V) I can't seem to score any effective hits.

Does anyone have any tips? Even after setting convergence to 200/200 on all the guns (what I usually use) I'm having almost no luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Re: Flying and fighting in the D.520

I have all guns set to 300/300 in the Dewo. And yes, the ballistics are a bit awkward at first, might be related to the unfamiliar sight though. The Hispano on the D.520 has a very high muzzle velocity and therefore doesnt need much deflection at all.
    Also the 7.5mm guns have a lot of ammo (675rpg) and a pretty high rate of fire as well (1200rpm).

What can be exploited in the D.520 is its very good high speed handling and its roll rate which is higher than that of any other BoF/BoB fighter ingame. Rolling scissors can therefore be useful to either get you out of trouble when being bounced or when turn fighting a 109.

Also keep in mind to never take more than 62% of fuel in the D.520, above that the ferry tanks are getting filled. 62% is basically the same as taking 100% in the Bf109/Spit/Hurri!

1943_07 L_Aerophile 03.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Flying and fighting in the D.520

Quote Originally Posted by JG4_Karaya View Post
    I have all guns set to 300/300 in the Dewo. And yes, the ballistics are a bit awkward at first, might be related to the unfamiliar sight though. The Hispano on the D.520 has a very high muzzle velocity and therefore doesnt need much deflection at all.
    Also the 7.5mm guns have a lot of ammo (675rpg) and a pretty high rate of fire as well (1200rpm).

What can be exploited in the D.520 is its very good high speed handling and its roll rate which is higher than that of any other BoF/BoB fighter ingame. Rolling scissors can therefore be useful to either get you out of trouble when being bounced or when turn fighting a 109.

Also keep in mind to never take more than 62% of fuel in the D.520, above that the ferry tanks are getting filled. 62% is basically the same as taking 100% in the Bf109/Spit/Hurri!

1943_07 L_Aerophile 03.jpg
    Please note the D.520 is a little too fast currently... this will be corrected.

Players should also understand the aircraft has its best performance at approx. 3000-4200 meters. It is relatively slow at sea level.

It should be normally flown as an energy fighter... i.e. gain altitude and dive on the opponent.

Defensively rollrate is the best option... as well it has a slightly higher maximum dive speed than the 109's so can dive away while using rolling maneuvers... it can outmaneuver a 109E quite easily at high speed. Elevator response is also better than the 109E at high speed and the aircraft retains energy better.

4. Likes ATAG_Flare, Gingerbread liked this post