Thread: Any news about Virtual Reality?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

Any news about Virtual Reality?

Hi everyone

First of all, I want to say this is my favourite sim, and I really appreciate the effort you, the Team, have been doing for a long time...

I flew IL2 Cliffs of Dover almost every day until the VR came to life, and once I tested, I couldn´t go back to a flat screen. So in a couple of months I quit IL2 COD and started to fly the sims that offered VR (IL2 BOS, DCS and COndorsim in my case)

I sold my TrackIR5 device and my 50" plasma tv monitor, and changed for a little 17" that was enough to interact with the sims menu.

I purchased the latest IL2 Desert Wings with the main purpose of supporting the Team, I can´t really fly it because of the lack of TrackIr and a huge monitor I was used to before VR.

I know there is a lot of pilots in a similar situation, a lot are waiting the VR patch in this sim to purchase, because the don´t fly "flat screens" any more...

So, going right to the point, I would really appreciate any news about the "progress" in the development of Virtual Reality implementation.
    As you know, the lack or absence of news is interpreted or understood as a lack or absence of progress or interest in the matter...

Could be weekly or monthly, or whatever you consider, but I reckon the sim community would really appreciate your effort, and would feel that there is really a "Work in progress"

Best wishes

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Any news about Virtual Reality?

VR is a long ways off. We are focusing on finishing tessellation, seeing if we can give the option of 4k textures for aircraft, and implementing the new clouds/weather system.

Then we can start messing around with VR.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Thanks Spiritus, nice update. Tessellation and 4k textures for aircraft will give CloD a deserved bump in graphic quality.

Is the original timeframe for VR still current, i.e. early 2021?
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I'll have two tessellations and a helping of new cloud /weather system on the side when they are ready please
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

5. Likes ATAG_Flare, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    Thanks Spiritus, nice update. Tessellation and 4k textures for aircraft will give CloD a deserved bump in graphic quality.

Is the original timeframe for VR still current, i.e. early 2021?

VR timeframe is likely to be pushed back at this time.

7. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus View Post
    VR is a long ways off. We are focusing on finishing tessellation, seeing if we can give the option of 4k textures for aircraft, and implementing the new clouds/weather system.

Then we can start messing around with VR.
    VR will be a major addition, hopefully drawing more people into the sim.

But the weather system - that is something that I think is grossly underrated - I am so incredibly excited to have new clouds (hopefully synchronised across all users!), precipitation, multiple cloud layers maybe, maybe new water, wind, etc. It will add so much to the gameplay - right now bad weather missions simply don't really exist. Clouds just disappear if you have too many. But imagine foggy missions in multiplayer - climb through 2000 ft and it's all clear above - but you can't see anything to navigate. Or huge thunderclouds and dodging attacks by slipping through clouds. Taking off at dawn in the rain....

Maybe not all of these features will be in the new weather but I am extremely excited for it nonetheless and it will probably be the single most important graphical upgrade to CloD in its lifespan so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    VR will be a major addition, hopefully drawing more people into the sim.

I am so incredibly excited to have new clouds (hopefully synchronised across all users!)
    it will ceratinly make the concept of "hiding" a reality !!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I'm very much into the VR thing.

Cliffs obviously I play in 2D... and its rather nice actually to have something that essentially forces me to compare 2 and 3d

VR is superb... but, you do lose a LOT of the visuals... think about maybe going to the louvre to look at i dunno... some painting there by some dead guy with a paint brush... BUT... before looking at it putting on your grand mothers varifocals that you have freshly smeared with some vaseline.

Resolution is down... but you DID see the painting... and in full 3d.

Now imagine you take the glasses off... and then look again through just one eye...

Perfect clarity... in pure 2d.

I know this is a pretty flippant analogy... (and won't stand the test of time once the hardware is up there) but right now...

I play some stuff in 3d and some in 2d

VR is stunning. But so is 4-8K

just in very different ways

so... Pattle.. 2022 then right?

EDIT

Don't get me wrong . VR is awesome. and I've run it down a bit there with grannys spectacles...

I love it.

but right now my Index is something I would consider to be low resolution. Despite what it said on the box.

if my actual flat screen looked like the view through the Index I'd be sending it back immediately. Its kinda like the old VGA / SVGA days in that respect.
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Oct-08-2020 at 18:31.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

11. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Slot, Gingerbread liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

The new weather sounds great - this sim badly needs it!

Fine days - clear or with a bit of cumulus - this sim does perfectly.

But in the real British flying world one day in twenty is like this! A visibility slider - from thick fog up to 50 km - would be excellent for realism and to introduce tactical factors to missions. So often in aerial battles the weather plays a major part, and poor visibility influenced many days in the Battle of Britain.

But VR should be the next priority after improved weather - increasingly flight simmers won't use a sim without it, and it must be essential to longer term success for CLOD/DW.

13. Likes ATAG_Flare, ITAF_Airone1989 liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

VR is a must, I love CloD and I would buy Tobruk once VR is released.
    For racing and flight sims VR is a must have for me and many others. I build a whole VR flight and race setup to be able to be in the seat of the pilot.

I can't even put my racing wheel or HOTAS at the screen anymore, so no VR means no racing or flying

I can guarantee more people would buy Tobruk once VR is released rather then some visual updates.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Quekel View Post
    For racing and flight sims VR is a must have for me and many others. I build a whole VR flight and race setup to be able to be in the seat of the pilot.

I can't even put my racing wheel or HOTAS at the screen anymore, so no VR means no racing or flying

I can guarantee more people would buy Tobruk once VR is released rather then some visual updates.
    VR is one of those things that is never quite there. I bought a VR headset in 1992 (yes, 1992!) for almost $600. It was very cool, but the resolution was only 320 x240. I bought it to play Descent, and it was pretty cool flying around with head tracking and 3D, but ultimately I always switched back to a monitor, because things just looked better in EGA quality than in the 320x240. Fast forward to today... the exact same problem still exists. VR is cool, but it doesn't hold a candle to 2D visuals at 4K resolution. I have no use for VR until the resolution matches what I can get on a flat screen. Please, Team Fusion, don't waste your time on flash-in-the-pan technology...concentrate on the more important stuff, like the weather and TrueSky, etc. Remember just a few years ago all the rage was 3D televisions...that lasted about two years, and where are they now? On the garbage heap of history! Keep up the great work TF!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

16. Likes Josef, DerDa, ATAG_Noofy, FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Quekel View Post

With respect (much as it goes!!)

It's not a must

It's a definte want

Like you I also only road race in VR. So I totally get you on that one.. but...

Flight sims... expecially combat...

Unless you upgrade your rig on a 12 month cycle keeping a system that can actually render anything worthwhile is going to cost you a shed load of money.

It's a hell of an ask from a comunity made up of non millionaires. We as a community simply do not have that capital as individuals to rock ultra high end rigs for this.

My setup is backed up by my business. I own the business. My gaming rig is doing a hell of a lot more than just gaming. (There is no way I would have this setup if it wasn't doing something else for it's upkeep)

I am in a position where I can get the benefit of a high end gaming rig with no effect on my personal wallet... so long as the company (also mine) can handle it.

This hasnt been the case for long mind. 3 years ago much lesser machine... still with the same Track IR though. i use it fofr MS Flight simulatoir and Cliffs... and it is superb. high res monitor. wayyyyy better than my Valve Index (for ssle soon by the way if anyone is intrested)

mostly ive had rigs that could (barely) do what was needed... and if the game i was into was worth it i would save up... and shell out

Unless you can throw literraly thousands of pounds every year at a machine...

spend it on your loved ones instead.

Cliffs on a good fast monitor and with track IR !!!! epic !!.

VR is truely awesome for sure.. but for this ? for the average pc spec oin here? no !! you need seriously mega kit to even aproach the resolution.

(and yes i want it) it is not a "deal breaker" not even close.

my pc specs are listed below in my profile.

I play VR

and im telling it straight.

cos that's the guy I am.

'Seas

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

18. Likes DerDa, FG28_matkenhaus liked this post
    Dislikes Fred Karno disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

VR is a priority for the development of the game.

It has not been pushed back... all development is proceeding on the plan as listed in the following post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...-wings-tobruk/

But that plan calls for us to introduce the Truesky weather system as well as improved tessellation first.

At this point VR is between six and nine months away assuming the work goes as planned.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    VR is a priority for the development of the game.

It has not been pushed back... all development is proceeding on the plan as listed in the following post:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...-wings-tobruk/

But that plan calls for us to introduce the Truesky weather system as well as improved tessellation first.

At this point VR is between six and nine months away assuming the work goes as planned.

Well, more than six months has passed away, and I haven´t seen any news about Truesky weather system, improved tessellation or/and VIRTUAL REALITY plans in the Sim...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by pckormic View Post
    Well, more than six months has passed away, and I haven´t seen any news about Truesky weather system, improved tessellation or/and VIRTUAL REALITY plans in the Sim...
    As you might be aware of, TFS is a very small group of enthousiasts, working in their spare time.
    If only one member of the group has to pause for real life issues, this might cause delays.

This in mind, don't you think it is much wiser not to make promises that, for reasons beyond your control, you might not be able to fulfil?
    I'm sure they are all working their asses off.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    As you might be aware of, TFS is a very small group of enthousiasts, working in their spare time.
    If only one member of the group has to pause for real life issues, this might cause delays.

This in mind, don't you think it is much wiser not to make promises that, for reasons beyond your control, you might not be able to fulfil?
    I'm sure they are all working their asses off.
    I don,t understand your answer... cause wasn´t I who made any promises, I only ask for any news about the advances in the sim, and I reckon that six months it´s enough time for any kind of news...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Hi Pckormic,

You may have missed it, check here; https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=35012

Saludos.

Quote Originally Posted by pckormic View Post
    I don,t understand your answer... cause wasn´t I who made any promises, I only ask for any news about the advances in the sim, and I reckon that six months it´s enough time for any kind of news...

24. Likes major_setback liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

Thanks. Maru