Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia users)

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Re: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia use

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteven View Post

I'm playing on an older i7 2600k and a 1060 6gb card, 16gb of RAM.
    Hi MrSteven
    I am playing at 1920 x 1200 on 24" with very similar PC specs (see sig) and have tried the settings in first post. It has given me a few extra specks to contact spot which may help!
    I will definitely keep these settings for MP online.

Could be placebo but i felt i could defo see contacts a bit more on the test missions.
    I get good framerates.

As OP says may not do much for 1080p resolution.

I agree eye candy looks a little bit worse so will revert to my previous settings for SP campaigns as i like at least 8x anisotropic and have never understood what pseudo full screen does.
    Think the rest of the settings were pretty close to what i already used except frame limits which i hadn't tried.

Not sure what else we can try unless a new PC and 1440p screen somehow magically appear in an xmas stocking.
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

2. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Re: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia use

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteven View Post
    Nice thread.

It has sent me into a whirlwind of messing with my settings to get them right, however.

Some of these dot ranges I'm reading about are mind blowing to me. I play at 1920 x 1080 on a 27" ASUS gaming monitor and the longest range I can see a contact at is about 6km, maybe 7km, and then they're gone.

With exactly the same settings as posted in the first post, the dot distance is slightly better, but my game looks so bad I feel like I'm playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat when I'm creeping up behind a 109.

Terrible feeling knowing some of the guys I'm fighting against can see me at double the range I can see them. Any ideas here, guys?

I'm playing on an older i7 2600k and a 1060 6gb card, 16gb of RAM.
    Take in mind that this thread is focused more on high resolutions where the loss of quality due to disabling the antialiasing and anisotropic filters is less noticeable.
    With the resolution you are using, somehow, you should be able to have a visual range of no less then 13 km.
    Can you please post a screenshot of:

- All the 3D settings of your Nvidia card
    - Your in-game video settings

So we can check together if there is a way to help you solving your issue
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Just a tip, if you play this in singleplayer, open the console (set a key for it) and type: "mp_dotrange DOT 25" for 25km (max settings for dot range)
    just to see where they actually are. Then you can go down with the distance until you barely see them, 14km is standard

To be fair this mission has the planes pretty clustered, they are too close together in the far distance.
    However if you dive away a bit and then pause you may see them.
    Theres also another visual test mission out there which has them seperated quite nicely.

5. Likes ATAG_Slot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Theres also another visual test mission out there which has them seperated quite nicely.
    Yep but with all distances set at wrong values so be carefull when using that one ( ..and that's why I have build this one. The aircraft are clustered for one precise motive. If I separate them too much on the horizontal plane, then the distance from the player point of view will be not anymore 1,2,3, etc km but longer.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

varrattu

Hello all,

not only resolution is of importance. The display should be properly calibrated for contrast accuracy and brightness. Depending on which display you are playing, having it properly calibrated allows you to have the most possible visual range on screen.

The following are the basic steps when performing a calibration with view to iL2CoD/iL2DWT.

Contrast as the difference between colors is very important. When you have contrast you can distinguish the whitest white and the darkest blacks in the sky.

White Point is a reference for daylight in color. Set the White Point to 6500K which is the color temperature of daylight.

Gamma refers to the tone curves. Gamma correction uses a mathematical formula that adjusts the levels of dark and light in relation to the contrast in an image. It can bring out the darker colors which can also increase saturation. Set the Gamma to Windows or TV Standard 2.2.

Check the color space that your display refers to. I use the sRGB color scheme on my display, it refers best to iL2CoD color.

~V~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Small but useful update.

With GeForce Experience if you enable the Beta features under the performance table you have a new beta feature available in the Game Overlay Performance Panel, which allows you to optimize the GPU for lower rendering latency with a single click. ( Note that this feature is available only for the 20xx series or newer Nvidia video cards )

LINK ( How to enable it guide ): https://www.pcworld.com/article/3621...rclocking.html
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jul-26-2021 at 20:10.

My PC specs

9. Likes ATAG_Bubba liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.46 MB

Smile My settings for 4k with nVidia (2k improves even more)

I have experimented with my settings for a while (see system specs below, using 4k-resolution and nVidia-Driver 471.41 - driver makes the difference sometimes, I noticed. The latest drivers have had good visibility though).

This settings give me all 16 contacts on DUI's contact spotting-mission on 30°-sight:
    spotting30°_on_contact_spotting-mission_by_DUIjpg.jpg
    This is a .jpg, the clearer .bmp-screenshot can't be uploaded here.

More important: They give me decent contactspotting on most of the contacts in 70°- and 90°-sight.

Here the 70° view with the new 5.027 contacts and Artist's contact spotting mission:
    screen_print_5_027_contactspotting.jpg

Keep in mind: You're not getting dot visibilities like one with FullHD. I checked this settings on my 31.5"-WHQD-screen (which I don't use at the moment because of the eye-candy of my 4k-screen), the results are (obviously) even better. Changing my 28"-4k to WHQD I'm getting suberb contact visibility results, but image quality suffers of course. Lowering the resolution under the native one can help, but if you exceed, you get graphics like in the 90s

---> Changed--> I got good results with Downsampling on my 32" WQHD to UHD resolution with the new contact visibility of the 5.027-Patch, so, If you want to improve your eye-candy, try downsampling.

For contact visibility: The bigger the screen, the better, the lower the resolution, the better... But if you ever have flown with 4k and it's quality, lowering the resolution is a pain in the eyes

OK, here my settings and some annotations:

Game settings:
    ingamesettings_clodo_4k.jpg

For game settings, you can adjust to the capability of your system. Antialiasing is a thing to try, I'm getting the same results with FXAA set to "on" with default preset, I suggest start with Antialiasing "off". Lower settings for Texture quality, Land Shading, Land Detail, Forest can improve the seeings to the ground. I left it on high because of eye-candy.

--> Changed: I'm running on "FXAA/default" for Antialiasing with barely no affect to visibility (SMAA gave me microstutters in full-zoomed-view).

Nvidia settings (sorry for german language, if you are using the same driver, you should be able to adjust equally):
    nvidiasettings1.jpg

Important: Sharpening <EDIT!> 25% (as latest driver and my changed GPU gave me a far to sharpened image, don't know if it depends on driver or GPU... ), Antialiasing-settings not touched

As for the rest settings, you can vary (Anisotropic Filtering - gives you wider area of sharpend textures (lower or off for weaker systems), background max. frequency, max frequency, latency mode suitable for your system).

nvidiasettings2.jpg

Here Clamp is selected because of using Anisotropic Filtering on my system (leave it to default if you aren't using Anisotropic Filtering as mentioned above), G-SYNC because my screen is capable, ULTRA gives lower latency on the cost of fps. Texture Filtering - Anisotropic/Triliniear makes little difference on my system, so I turned them off (weaker systems: on, the impact on fps may be greater)

nvidiasettings3.jpg

Here I did a change to my contrast settings. For your screen some other value (or no changes) can be suitable. Prefer to use monitor settings to improve contrast, brightness and gamma.

Adjust the monitor (and the nVidia Desktop-Color-Settings, see above) with its settings to the testcharts from this site (eci_monitortest_pc):
    http://www.eci.org/doku.php?id=de:downloads

Direct download (testcharts with manual):
    http://www.eci.org/lib/exe/fetch.php...tortest_pc.zip

As this is an older page, no https avialable, but don't worry. This .zip was linked in this forum already, it's safe.
    Sadly, there is no 4k-resolution-chart, I used the 2048x1536 instead. But keep it on 100%, don't let your viewer expand it.

Shortly: Adjust the monitor (and the nVidia Desktop-Color-Settings if necessary) till you can slightly see the both the "ECiECi" writings in the testcharts black and white boxes below and make sure you can see the difference of any black-to-grey-to-white boxes:
    eci.jpg

But using the above mentioned eci-testcharts is recommended (just unpack the download), "quick and dirty"-adjustments should work with this screenshot also.

You can adjust the monitor to neutral gray, too (that gives you neutral colors), but be aware, this helps you in CLOD, but doesn't give you a calibrated screen for image processing or something.

As for me, I'm using the gamma-setting "Game" in my monitor, that gives me the best recognitions. Change contrast, brightness, gamma (as you can, not every monitor has this setting) till you get good results. I would prefer changing monitor-settings first, before you begin to mess with the nVidia-color-settings..

I hope I could give you a start for improving your seeing, varying things could be better for you (for me too, but don't have the time to test every possible setting).

Last thing: I' wearing glasses for two years now, last night I got my varifocals on and didn't see any contact dots on the server. Screen glasses are earlier useful than one thinks...

And: Having lights low in your room, especially no light behind the screen, is helpful, too.

EDIT: I'm using a RTX 3070 now, so I switched off G-Sync because it gave me a flickering monitor in addition to TrackIR (the GPU keeps the fps over the VSync of 60 frames almost any time). I disabled the frame-limiter ("Max Bildfrequenz"), too, what gives me a smoother view without any stuttering.
    Last edited by FG28_matkenhaus; Dec-30-2021 at 12:11. Reason: Sharpening adjusted
    Greetings
    matkenhauser

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.46 MB

I have changed AA to "FXAA/default" (ingame settings) and the framelimiter to "off" (nvidia settings) because of microstutters in full-zoomed-view on my system.

A bit less AA-effect, but better contact spotting of course

Framelimiter was set because of lower latency with G-SYNC, but stuttering is a thing I don't like at all...
    Last edited by FG28_matkenhaus; Oct-14-2021 at 07:22.
    Greetings
    matkenhauser

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12