Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia users)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia users)

What I've always found annoying was that, despite the egregious numerous efforts done by TFS to improve the visual aspect of the game, the aircraft dot visibility was somehow extremely short in higher screen resolutions ( In particular in 4K ).
    The visual range of aircraft dots in 4K, in particular, despite my several attempts in the past months, remained fixed always at 5 km max from my aircraft point of view.
    No matter the different solutions I was trying, I was never able, until now, to improve this.
    Please note that what I will wrote below worked for me but I have not the pretension to say that it will solve or improve the situation on all the PCs of this planet.
    On mine it worked, I hope that, sharing what I have noticed, will work also on your PC too!

I've tested this both on my Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti and on a Nvidia GTX 960 and on both it provided the same good results.

Said so, here is what I have experienced and how I have solved it, at least to a level that renders the game fully playable also using high screens resolutions.
    Not surely yet the final solution to all problems of this kind but at least what I suggest to do here, will hopefully render your game finally enjoyable while using these high screen resolutions ( ..and trust me that the game played in 4K it's a little beautiful damned marvel!!! )

Note also that every online server has its mp_dotrange settings so do not expect to extend your view to 30 km from your aircraft. In this thread I'm speaking about how to improve the max aircraft dot visibility distance staying in the range of the settings used by the most common servers available around.
    Said in brief, in the arc that goes from 0 to 14 km, you will simply be able to spot better the aircraft dots or you will be able to spot aircraft dots that were previously hidden in these distance ranges.

Last but not least, take in mind that this thread is focused on the maximum visibility distance of the aircraft dots ( The ground objects max rendering distance will be not, probably, be affected by this ) and that this thread is dedicated exclusively to Nvidia cards users.

The original problem/situation

The main problem was this. Using high screen resolutions ( In particular the 2K and the 4K ) the maximum aircraft dot visibility was extremely short, so short, said in brief, that was pratically not usable online, otherwise you completely lose your situation awareness and capability of spotting incoming enemy aircraft and to react in a sufficent time.
    In addition, in 2K and 4K, everything outside the max visual visibility distance seemed that was not rendered at all.
    For example, at 5 km of distance you could spot an aircraft dot but at 5,1 km it completely disappeared, apparently not rendered by the game.

Before this improvement I have experienced the following aircraft dots max visibility distance:

- HD resolution ( 1920x1080 at 120 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 13 Km

- 2K resolution ( 2560x1440 at 60 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 6 Km

- 4K resolution ( 3840x2160 at 60 Hz or 4096x2160 at 60 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 5 Km

How to improve the max aircraft dots visibility distance and what improvements you will get

Please follow the various steps in the EXACT same order that I'll write them, use exactly the same settings I suggest and follow carefully the instructions given. If you do something different or you will vary what I'll wrote here there is the very high chance that the fix will not work.
    The procedure is not difficult to be made but it requires your carefull attention because the steps to be followed are a lot, so it could be easy to do something wrong or missing a piece of them, if you will not follow the various steps with attention.
    Note also that I will not write why the suggested settings will improve your visibility range about the aircraft dots...but trust me that it will work. ( Otherwise to explain you in detail why these settings works I'll have to write a poem ).
    Said in brief we will lose a bit of image quality ( but not that much in high resolutions ) in exchange for a better max aircraft dots visibility distance.
    Some may not cope with this but that, so far, the only way to get an improvement.
    Sorry but it's a take-it or leave. The choise about what to do it's all up to you.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Before starting this procedure take a screenshot or a note of your current video card settings and of your video game settings ( Main Menu --> Options --> Video ) so if needed you can always easily revert back to your original PC status.
    Otherwise, if you don't want to this, another option, is to save a restore point on your PC.

Said so let's start!

1- Open your Nvidia control panel

2- Select the " Manage 3D settings " tab

3- If you haven't already done it, under the " Program Settings " tab select your game executable file ( By acting on the " Select a program to customize " tab ) so your video card will not run always at " high RPM " when not running the game.
    The executable game file, for example is located in the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz ( On my PC instead of this path I have selected the executable shortcut I have created on my desktop )

4- Once done, set exactly the following parameters ( They'll work both for 2K and 4K resolutions ):

Image Shapening: Use global settings ( Off )
    Ambient Occlusion ( Greyed out, not supported by the game )
    Anisotropic filtering: Off
    Antialiasing - FXAA: Use global settings ( Off )
    Antialiasing - Gamma Correction: Off
    Antialiasing - Mode: Off
    Antialiasing - Setting: None
    Antialiasing - Transparency: Off
    CUDA - GPUs: Use global setting ( All )
    Low Latency Mode: Ultra
    Max Frame Rate: 59 FPS ( If you intend to use the 2K or 4K res. For the HD one select your monitor refresh rate minus 1 )
    Multi-Frame sampled AA ( MFAA ): Off
    OpenGL rendering GPU: Use global setting ( Auto-select )
    Power management mode: Prefer maximum performances
    Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
    Shader Cache: Use global setting ( On )
    Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimisation: Off
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On
    Threaded optimisation: Use global setting ( Auto )
    Triple buffering: Off
    Vertical sync: Fast
    Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

*Note: If you have the option for the GSYNC set it to " On "

5- Once done click on the " Apply " button in the lower right corner of the screen ( Your Nvidia Control Panel window may flicker a bit while the settings are applied, this is normal )

6- Once done close your Nvidia Control Panel

7- Start the game and go to " Options --> Video " menu

8- Once in it check that the " Show Advanced " squared checkbox is checked so the advanced options will be displayed

9- Leave all the settings as they are except these ones that must be set as follows:

Resolution: Select the video resolution you want to use or rather 2K or 4K
    Full Screen: Pseudo
    Detail Level: Custom
    Anti-aliasing: Off
    Epilessy Filter: Unchecked/Not selected
    SSAO: Unchecked/Not selected
    VSYNC: Checked/On/Activated
    Distant Clouds: I suggest to set it Unchecked/Deactivated because on certain servers, using weather scripts, it may create problems with the clouds visualisation/conflicts
    Far Static Shadows: Unchecked/Off/Not selected ( I have still to test well if this may affect the dot visibility. For the time being I suggest to keep it Unchecked/Unselected. Further news about this will follow soon. )

10- Once done click on the " Apply " button in the lower right corner. If your game ask for a restart click on " Yes "

11- Once the game has restarted exit it

12- Go to your " Documents " folder and delete the folder named " Cache " ( Do it with no fear, the game will create a new one the next time you will start the game )
    Full path: C:\Users\Your Computer Name\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache

Once done the procedure is now complete. You can now enjoy your improved aircraft dots visibility in 2K and 4K screen resolutions!

So far I've get the following results ( All tests performed on the Tobruk map only! ):

- HD resolution ( 1920x1080 at 120 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 14 Km ( +1 km gained )

- 2K resolution ( 2560x1440 at 60 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 12 Km ( +6 km gained )

- 4K resolution ( 3840x2160 at 60 Hz or 4096x2160 at 60 Hz ): Max aircraft dots visual range 10 Km ( +5 km gained )

Test mission used

Here you can find the mission I've used during the comparison tests. I have build a new one because the one provided in the thread " The man who stares at the pixels " had got a great issue. In it, in fact, the aircraft were spaced 1 km from each other but they were set also at different altitudes.
    So said in brief, due to the aircraft altitudes used in that mission, the last of the planes ( The one at 16 km ) was not at 16 km as planned but instead to about 25 km from your point of view!

In this mission I have fixed it and the aircraft are all set at the same altitude ( 500 meters ) and every airrcraft is separated 1 km from the other so the last one of them is really set at 16 km from your point of view!

Important: This test mission works only for the IL-2 Sturmovik Desert Wings DLC owners at the moment! ( I'm at work to build one for the Blitz users too ).

Install the mission at the following path: C:\Users\Yourcomputername\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\missions\Single

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://mega.nz/file/OhAmlbyQ#hlzYAc...QEZMvrHxLDHZh8 ( <--- Clickable Link! )

I really hope that this could help many pilots to finally fully enjoy this beautiful game also using the 2K and 4K screen resolutions!

My best regards to all!

Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Aug-01-2021 at 18:46.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Re: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia use

I don’t have 4k so won’t be able to test this. However as a general recommendation do not forget to take a snapshot of your current settings in case something goes wrong and you wish to revert back to your current settings
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Re: How to improve the aircraft dot visibility in high screen resolutions (Nvidia use

With what FOV setting are you getting these results, Belial?

In the original mission IIRC I could see 9 contacts in 2k resolution at min FOV and 5 in Normal and Max.
    I then changed the resolution to 1080p and could see 15 and 9 respectively. Basically can see everything around me with FOV maxed out.

I would love to be able to go back to 2K as it sure looks better.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

I will try theses setting later today.. and let you know if it improves on my current settings
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

5. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Here is what I see with these settings, at 5 different FOV levels, from fully zoomed out to fully zoomed in.
    How does this compare to what you guys are seing?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Thanks, interesting read. And I was wondering why I never saw a grey dot at 14 km. (Only the grey/colored distance at 6/4 km like set in the .rcu file.)

Maybe I'll find a solution for ATI drivers too.

8. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

This solution works with every graphics card on the market, and at any resolution:

2020-10-09_154601.jpg

10. Likes \Hawk/ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

At least on Tobruk there's a little " trick " to get the best visibility of the dots when the view is zoomed in.
    Using the dynamic zoom, move the zoom forward to the max level possible. Then move the view of a small fraction in the back directiion ( here I give a very small tap on the left button of the mouse ), in a way that the view moves a couple of millimeters back.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    I don’t have 4k so won’t be able to test this. However as a general recommendation do not forget to take a snapshot of your current settings in case something goes wrong and you wish to revert back to your current settings
    As I've told you on Ts3 your video resolution is an hybrid between the 2K and the 4K one but somehow more closer to the 4K one so what's written above should work also for your PC.
    Thanks for the advice, I always put it in my posts of this kind, but this time I forgot it, so again thank you very much for the very good reminder mate!

My PC specs

13. Likes ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    Thanks, interesting read. And I was wondering why I never saw a grey dot at 14 km. (Only the grey/colored distance at 6/4 km like set in the .rcu file.)

Maybe I'll find a solution for ATI drivers too.
    If this could help you with the ATI card these were the main issues that, In 4K ( and with a minor effect also in 2K ), generated the issue with aircraft dot visibility while using the Nvidia one.

1- Especially at 4K any kind of anisotropic or antialiasing filter is pretty much useless. Said in very general, also without these filters enabled the resolutions is already so high ( at least for Blitz and Desert Wings ) that basically you don't need them ( Except in the case that you want to play the game at the max of its visual beauty. For example here I keep the video card and video game settings at their maximum only when I record a video track or I want to take screnshots in super good visual quality ).
    Any kind of these filter I activate in the video card control panel or in the game video options, even just one of them, revert back the game to the original issue. ( Limited visibility of aircraft dots in high resolutions )
    In brief: Disable any kind of anisotropic or antialiasing filter you may have available in your video card and game options, especially the FXAA and the gamma correction.

Initially and until now I was 99.9% convinced that the problem was residing in the fact the in-game rendering bubble set by TFS was too short...but I was wrong...The main thing generating the issue are the damned antialiasing and anisotropic filters used both by the video card ( when set on default ) and by the ones available in the game video options ( At least for Nvidia users ).

As said, try to disable all the ones that you will find in your video card CP and in the in-game video options if you are playing in 4K.

My PC specs

15. Likes von Graf, Tibsun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52_J-HAT View Post
    With what FOV setting are you getting these results, Belial?

In the original mission IIRC I could see 9 contacts in 2k resolution at min FOV and 5 in Normal and Max.
    I then changed the resolution to 1080p and could see 15 and 9 respectively. Basically can see everything around me with FOV maxed out.

I would love to be able to go back to 2K as it sure looks better.
    Here so far I was doing the same. Now I've switched to 2K and the game, in this resolutions, it's where, IMHO, gives you the best compromise. Surely you will never have the same max visibility distance of a user using a lower one ( The lower the resolution, the major is the max visibility distance of the aircraft dots ) but with now 12 km of max visual range ( Only 3-4 km in less of a user using a lower screen res ) I can dogfight and react efficently to enemy attacks.
    In 4 K even if now the visibility distance of the dots in a static situation ( Game paused ) it's doubled, or rather from the original 5km to the actual 10 km, the more distant dots remains somehow very little to be seen ( probably starting from 6-7 km we are speaking of 1-3 pixels ). In a standard flight/dogfight situation ( Game in movement used as per normal ) this means that the aircraft dots starting from 6-7 km onward remain pratically invisible ( Except in the case that you are looking in the exact precise spot where they are ) so the effective visibility range remains something in the order of 5-6 km max, that, at least IMHO, is still too short to be effective in a standard combat situation.

What FOV settings I use to get the best? Next time you'll see me on TS, and you have time to dedicated to this, I will tell you them ( Otherwise here I'll have to write an infinite poem ) because, actually, the Channel map and the Tobruk one seems to use two different ways to manage the aircraft dot max visibility.
    Don't get it wrong, somehow. The visual max values are the same for both the maps but there are some major differences about how they are managed/displayed by the game.
    An easy example: In Tobruk map if you spot a 1 pixel size aircraft dot and you zoom-in the view at the max zoom value, the dot will remain always visible. Do the same on the Channel map and the same 1 pixel size aircraft dot will disappear at full zoom-in and at certain angles of view.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Oct-09-2020 at 15:56.

My PC specs

17. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

About to give it a try Belial

19. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

I reckon it worked for me mate. Well done.

21. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    I reckon it worked for me mate. Well done.
    Excellent! I'm glad that it worked for you!

My PC specs

23. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

del.

Sorry I got everything wrong. You are speaking about the planes itself and I about the icons, labels,...
    Last edited by von Graf; Oct-10-2020 at 09:03.

25. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    del.

Sorry I got everything wrong. You are speaking about the planes itself and I about the icons, labels,...
    No problem mate. How they work in brief:

The command “mp_dotrange” permits to regulate the following parameters:

· FRIENDLY & FOE indicates whether the command applies to friendly or enemy aircraft ( to apply it to both, just omit the parameter )
    · DOT It specifies at what distance the aircraft dot becomes vsible
    · NAME It specifies the distance at which appears the icon with the name of the pilot
    · COLOR It specifies the distance at which the icon applies the friendly or enemy color
    · TYPE It specifies at what distance the aircraft type appears
    · RANGE It specifies at what distance, the value indicating the distance from the aircraft contact will appear
    · ID It specify at what distance the aircraft markings will appear ( Tail number etc.)
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Oct-10-2020 at 20:57.

My PC specs

27. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Works for me!

A side benefit was, for my ageing PC, that following your Nvidia Control Panel settings significantly increased frame rates during gameplay.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

29. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Good job seems to work for alot of people and reminding that Anti Aliasing and all the filterings kills the view distance, long known but somehow people miss this. Or some mess around with their settings and forget about their changes.

I also noticed you turned off SSAO, this might change visuals too.
    Those nvidia settings, taken from your post may change the view too.

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp (Default - Allowed)
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On - (On for improved FPS, changes filtering technic, off for higher quality, may or may not enhance visibility in CloD)
    Last edited by Tibsun; Oct-10-2020 at 13:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Erpr.Gr.210_Belial View Post
    despite the egregious numerous efforts done by TFS to improve the visual aspect of the game
    ... egregious ...?

I don't think the English meaning is the same as the Latin "egregius", if this is what you had in mind...
    Last edited by ATAG_Noofy; Oct-10-2020 at 13:20.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

No problem mate. How they work in brief:

The command “mp_dotrange” permits to regulate the following parametersi:

· FRIENDLY & FOE indicates whether the command applies to friendly or enemy aircraft ( to apply it to both, just omit the parameter )
    · DOT It specifies at what distance the aircraft dot becomes vsible
    · NAME It specifies the distance at which appears the icon with the name of the pilot
    · COLOR It specifies the distance at which the icon applies the friendly or enemy color
    · TYPE It specifies at what distance the aircraft type appears
    · RANGE It specifies at what distance, the value indicating the distance from the aircraft contact will appear
    · ID It specify at what distance the aircraft markings will appear ( Tail number etc.)
    Yo, thanks. Now I have all terms in one place.
    Some weeks ago I asked for a mod/setting to have a small colored dot as icon over/beside the planes (because of Mr. Magoo) as I have in IL-2 BoX. Lokos explained to me some things about editing the .rcu file and if I got him right it's not possible to have ONLY a grey dot that appears at, i.e. 10 km and changes it's color to blue/red at 5 km. Nothing more.
    There are always at least these numbers for the distance. And that's a bit icon too much for me.
    So I have to play without the helpers.
    Last edited by von Graf; Oct-10-2020 at 14:50.

33. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    ... egregious ...?

I don't think the English meaning is the same as the Latin "egregius", if this is what you had in mind...
    At least Google translator, translated " Egregio " with " Egregious ". I was meaning something good and done in a very good way.

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Works for me!

A side benefit was, for my ageing PC, that following your Nvidia Control Panel settings significantly increased frame rates during gameplay.
    Nice news! Great!

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Good job seems to work for alot of people and reminding that Anti Aliasing and all the filterings kills the view distance, long known but somehow people miss this. Or some mess around with their settings and forget about their changes.

I also noticed you turned off SSAO, this might change visuals too.
    Those nvidia settings, taken from your post may change the view too.
    Sorry I'm asking because I haven't well understood...What do you mean with " It might change the visuals/view too "? Are you referring to the FOV or to something else?

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp (Default - Allowed)
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On - (On for improved FPS, changes filtering technic, off for higher quality, may or may not enhance visibility in CloD)
    So far these are the things I've noted about these parameters:

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp (Default - Allowed) = Better performances when set on " Clamp " ( At least here )
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality = Here I've tried switching from the minimum setting available to the higher one but I have not noticed any major difference so I've left it on default ( Quality )
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On = As you know I play mostly online only so I've preferred to privilege the FPS in respect to the quality. I have not yet tried if there is any difference setting it " Off " ( Further tests are still ongoing )

As said above somehow, at least for the time being, I strongly suggest to use the parameters and procedure indicated in my first post because, as said, even changing one parameter may change the final result and it could revert the game to the original issue. ( Further tests are still ongoing )

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

At least Google translator, translated " Egregio " with " Egregious ". I was meaning something good and done in a very good way.
    That’s what I thought. Just wanted this to be clear to everyone in case anyone misinterpreted...

38. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Sorry I'm asking because I haven't well understood...What do you mean with " It might change the visuals/view too "? Are you referring to the FOV or to something else?
    I made a test mission with planes sitting, as that way, I can restart the game and always have them sit at the sam spot, not tilted nor moving away or that like which could alter the image comparison.
    SSAO just slightly brightens up the colours of planes and skins (also markings) when closer to them <300m
    It's difference is very little but noticable when comparing images side by side.
    I paste the clipboard to irfanview, straight out of memory without saving and compare them side by side.
    Not possible to share this with image hosting, it lowers the brightness resolution so you won't see a difference.
    I'll show you how the test image looks like digitally zoomed for comparison (you will see worse quality through image hosting)

You better test this sitting on the ground where nothing moves, you can take still images and compare them side by side out of clipboard.

SSAO off = 150 fps
    SSAO on = 130 fps - worse fps - slightly better colour recognition, slightly worse contrast against ambient/sky
    15% fps improvement with SSAO off

Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp (Default - Allowed) = Better performances when set on " Clamp " ( At least here )
    Texture filtering - Quality: Quality = Here I've tried switching from the minimum setting available to the higher one but I have not noticed any major difference so I've left it on default ( Quality )
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimisation: On = As you know I play mostly online only so I've preferred to privilege the FPS in respect to the quality. I have not yet tried if there is any difference setting it " Off " ( Further tests are still ongoing )

As said above somehow, at least for the time being, I strongly suggest to use the parameters and procedure indicated in my first post because, as said, even changing one parameter may change the final result and it could revert the game to the original issue. ( Further tests are still ongoing )
    Negative LOD bias=Allowed or Clamp
    Haven't noticed any major difference in fps, but then again I'm running 1080p, sitting on the ground doing nothing, could improve fps for others though.
    I made a couple of screenshots.
    With "Allowed" - sometimes colours of planes where slightly brighter as it is with SSAO on, but then again not, hit or miss for me.

Trilinear optimisation:
    Off gives me brighter planes, no noticeable fps change for me, on probably improves fps for others.

Your settings potentially does increase fps and contrast in trade for (slightly) brighter colours.
    Not that it would change alot in close combat though, good settings.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Oct-11-2020 at 07:32.

40. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.46 MB

Thanks for the useful hints, Belial, that helped.

I get the far away dots a bit blurry, I tweaked the grafic-settings in the nVidia-Control-Panel like this:

Image Shapening: Sharpening 0.50, ignore Filmgrain 0

This gives me sharp, well pronounced dots, that may be no so well visible, but more realistic then the (on my system) quite blurry spots given by your settings.
    Last edited by FG28_matkenhaus; Oct-11-2020 at 08:32.
    Greetings
    matkenhauser

42. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

I made a test mission with planes sitting, as that way, I can restart the game and always have them sit at the sam spot, not tilted nor moving away or that like which could alter the image comparison.
    SSAO just slightly brightens up the colours of planes and skins (also markings) when closer to them <300m
    It's difference is very little but noticable when comparing images side by side.
    I paste the clipboard to irfanview, straight out of memory without saving and compare them side by side.
    Not possible to share this with image hosting, it lowers the brightness resolution so you won't see a difference.
    I'll show you how the test image looks like digitally zoomed for comparison (you will see worse quality through image hosting)

You better test this sitting on the ground where nothing moves, you can take still images and compare them side by side out of clipboard.

SSAO off = 150 fps
    SSAO on = 130 fps - worse fps - slightly better colour recognition, slightly worse contrast against ambient/sky
    15% fps improvement with SSAO off

Negative LOD bias=Allowed or Clamp
    Haven't noticed any major difference in fps, but then again I'm running 1080p, sitting on the ground doing nothing, could improve fps for others though.
    I made a couple of screenshots.
    With "Allowed" - sometimes colours of planes where slightly brighter as it is with SSAO on, but then again not, hit or miss for me.

Trilinear optimisation:
    Off gives me brighter planes, no noticeable fps change for me, on probably improves fps for others.

Your settings potentially does increase fps and contrast in trade for (slightly) brighter colours.
    Not that it would change alot in close combat though, good settings.
    Thanks for your reply mate. Take in mind that in this thread, in particular, I'm referring to the 2K and especially the 4K one. I've left the HD data only because so also the HD res user can may get some little improvements too. ( Said in brief: The lower your resolution is, the less will be the gains you will get using the parameters/procedure I have suggested here ).
    Said so in 2K and, again, especially while using the 4K res this is what I have noted while running the settings you are quoting above:

About the SSAO the results are pretty much the same if you keep the video card and game settings to, let's say, standard/average ones ( Let's say the video card one on " Average/Medium " and the in.game ones to " High " ).
    If you instead put both the video card and the in-game video options to their maximum in 4K, for example, the SSAO starts to have a huge impact on the FPS. The image quality improves quite a lot ( 4K ) with better colours and better definition of the images but you start to get some slowdowns and FPS drops especially in situations where there is a lot of activity around your plane.
    All this with the Vsync activated.
    If I disable it my FPS raises very high ( to about 280 IIRC ) but then I start to get a very noticeable and annoying screen tearing because it do not match anymore the 60Hz max refresh rate typical of the 4K res.

Negative LOD bias=Allowed or Clamp: This is noticeable in 2K too but it's very well noticeable in 4K res. There is decise improvement in FPS using it on " Clamp ". Nothing major, be clear, but enough to start to notice a difference.

Trilinear optimisation: I have still to put this under heavy tests in high resolutions. So far I've left it on to, as said, to possibly privilege the FPS online. My initial impression is, somehow, that this is one of those parameters that surely has some kind of effect but that is so small that setting it on " On " or " Off " the difference is so small that you can barely notice it.

I will try also what you have suggested about putting the aircraft on the ground. If you have a Desert Wings mission already built and you want to share it, I'll be more than happy ( and curious ) to test it.

*Note: I can't enlarge the screenshot/thumbnail you submitted so on my 4K screen I see it very small and jagged and I can't distinguish/appreciate any feauture of the image.

Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Oct-11-2020 at 11:38.

My PC specs

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

I just very simply placed 10 Spits and a G.50 as player on to one airfield.
    I have yet to find out how to place planes apart of airfields on the ground.
    I may try to put planes on airfields that are next to each other but inside of 7-14km + with free visibility and need to find out how to measure the distance in the fmb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

I have yet to find out how to place planes apart of airfields on the ground.
    Try this test mission to see how it works. The trick it's placing the spawn point well away from any airfield in the area of interest. I do not remember what is the exact distance but make some experiments and it should be easy to be found.

DOWNLOAD: https://mega.nz/file/egA32aoB#DoD55G...n3w5-DM8hH56So

Save it in the single missions folder then open it in the FMB.

I may try to put planes on airfields that are next to each other but inside of 7-14km + with free visibility and need to find out how to measure the distance in the fmb.
    You need to set a key to show the distance ( Options/Controls/Builder ). Once set remember that it works only when the map is zoomed in 3D and that you need to keep pressed the relevant key to show the distance. The distance is showed at the bottom of the FMB window at the end the other yellow writings/data.
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Oct-11-2020 at 19:08.

My PC specs

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Nice thread.

It has sent me into a whirlwind of messing with my settings to get them right, however.

Some of these dot ranges I'm reading about are mind blowing to me. I play at 1920 x 1080 on a 27" ASUS gaming monitor and the longest range I can see a contact at is about 6km, maybe 7km, and then they're gone.

With exactly the same settings as posted in the first post, the dot distance is slightly better, but my game looks so bad I feel like I'm playing Chuck Yeager's Air Combat when I'm creeping up behind a 109.

Terrible feeling knowing some of the guys I'm fighting against can see me at double the range I can see them. Any ideas here, guys?

I'm playing on an older i7 2600k and a 1060 6gb card, 16gb of RAM.

47. Likes Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast