Thread: Thanks for all the bug fix releases ... but ..

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all the bug fix releases ... but ..

Could the Me 109 wing cannon convergence bug be fixed? It's an old bug, pre tobruk, meaning 109 Aces haven't been able to hit a barn, for ages ..

please please..

((( Ryzen 5 - 3600X CPU @ 3.8 GHz )))
    ((( MSI GForce GTX 1080 Gaming X )))
    ((( 32 G Ram )))
    ((( Win 10 professional 64 )))
    ((( Samsung 4K monitor )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Thanks for all the bug fix releases ... but ..

Oh! so is that why I can't hit the ground, let alone a barn?

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneHarvest View Post
    Could the Me 109 wing cannon convergence bug be fixed? It's an old bug, pre tobruk, meaning 109 Aces haven't been able to hit a barn, for ages ..

please please..

Hi Hurricane Harvest, out of my own interest, which bug is this?
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I was testing that (Varratu) "Boresight board" script, and notice that one cannon of Bf 109 E-3 sometimes shoot way off the other, is this the "bug"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

The only bug I know is the variable convergence bug. Whenever a 109 is shooting at me the canon shells seem to converge in my pilots head no matter what distance or angle they are shooting from, pilot kill.
    Or is it my bad tactics and lack of skills????
    Sorry, couldn’t resist

7. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, badatflyski liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

AI 109 wing cannons don't seem to converge on a target. MANY shells fly over /under the targets wings, exploding well ahead of the target.

SO many wasted shells ! this shouldn't happen for a ACE AI pilot.

please fix.
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

AI 109 wing cannons don't seem to converge on a target. MANY shells fly over /under the targets wings, exploding well ahead of the target.

SO many wasted shells ! this shouldn't happen for a ACE AI pilot.

please fix.
    Couldn't it be because of the cannons vibration?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

The convergence, I'm not sure if I do and get it right..

I adjust it in Options - Plane for every aircraft I want to use and this setting is for campaigns and missions in singleplayer too? Or is it only a multiplayer/online feature?

And do we have an 'Einschiessstand' mission template here by any chance? (A place where you can adjust and zero the guns on the ground accurately).

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post

I adjust it in Options - Plane for every aircraft I want to use and this setting is for campaigns and missions in singleplayer too? Or is it only a multiplayer/online feature?

And do we have an 'Einschiessstand' mission template here by any chance? (A place where you can adjust and zero the guns on the ground accurately).

hmmmm I cannot find any convergence switch in the options or scenario editor?? I will need to look harder. I'm 60 and my eyes and brain don't work that well, so maybe "I" need to converge my senses ?

No i don't have Einschiesstand, just standard.
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

hmmmm I cannot find any convergence switch in the options or scenario editor?? I will need to look harder. I'm 60 and my eyes and brain don't work that well, so maybe "I" need to converge my senses ?

No i don't have Einschiesstand, just standard.
    It is where you change the loadout in general, ammunition belts or the bomb load/fuzes.
    Does anyone know how much/far the 'standard' convergence is in meters or yards?
    Last edited by von Graf; Oct-15-2020 at 02:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    The convergence adjust prevails for Single Player too, is easy to confirm.

In Options > Plane > select an Spitfire, e.g. that useless BS "Heartbreak" and set guns 1 and 8 convergence for 1000 meters or more.

Start a QM and shooting will see the bullets of this two MG going well above the others.

Does anyone know how much/far the 'standard' convergence is in meters or yards?
    Convergence adjusts values is in meters. British gunsight range adjust is in yards, do the conversion.

If use 250 yards range, set the convergence in 230 meters.

A boresight board was included in game as static object, but as it couldn't be, it was made in an "It's Clod!" way.

- The board was modeled mounted on an inverted V easel, so it is pointed upwards...

- The board has damage model, when it is hit by shots it is "shot down" - falls to the ground (but you can fly across then).

- There was no way to raise the tail of the plane to make it level for adjust the weapons.
    An attempted to use an inclined terrain, e.g. side of a hill was defeated by the physics of "Dr.WHO'leg World", the plane, even with brakes applied, slides down the slope.

The best "band aid" for this is the smart Varratu "Boresight Board" (Visierschuss) script, which place the board high on sky, allow adjust their position, and when the board is "shoot down" is removed and another spawn in place.

Link for mission download https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=222
    Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-15-2020 at 13:24.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

is that AI aircraft ?? key word here is "AI" in scenario builder ?

I cannot find any convergence input in the "Load out" or "weapons" or "ammo belts" sections.

Last edited by HurricaneHarvest; Oct-16-2020 at 00:32.
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Click in > Options> Plane > select any plane > Loadout > Guns tab > enter the value for Vertical and Horizontal convergence, hit APPLY and in next window APPLY again. Done.

16. Likes RAF74_Buzzsaw liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Does the AI convergence change when the player convergence is changed for a particular model? It might explain why some report poor accuracy by the AI?

You seem to be able to change the convergence on gun turrets, this must affect the accuracy when the AI uses your guns, so should it always be left as default... the problem there for me is the default seems to be really close in, I'd rather the fgunners hi tstuff when it was firther out than when it is close enough for the kill. Admittedly I have barely a minute of time spent shooting in a gun turret so far but was wondering how it worked. I'd seen in another sim that you can set the convergence and the range the AI fires (if I recall correctly) and wondered if that flexibility was here too.
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Thanks 1lokos, I'll try the script.
    Now I know the board is placed high in the air I understand the picture you posted better. I first thought the pilot is shooing somehow at the backside of a huge board standing on the ground... But the perspective wasn't right.

EDIT: Nice script, works well. I could verify my convergence settings on a Bf109 E7.
    Last edited by von Graf; Oct-16-2020 at 11:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Does the AI convergence change when the player convergence is changed for a particular model? It might explain why some report poor accuracy by the AI?

You seem to be able to change the convergence on gun turrets, this must affect the accuracy when the AI uses your guns, so should it always be left as default... the problem there for me is the default seems to be really close in, I'd rather the fgunners hi tstuff when it was firther out than when it is close enough for the kill. Admittedly I have barely a minute of time spent shooting in a gun turret so far but was wondering how it worked. I'd seen in another sim that you can set the convergence and the range the AI fires (if I recall correctly) and wondered if that flexibility was here too.
    AI convergence is not adjustable, for British fighters probable is set for that "historic" 370 yards (338.328 meters) of default player convergence - value for which reference is not easy to find, the common ones are 400 yards, 250 yards.

In original CloD commands (TAB-x-y) - what never work, had the possibility of set range for gunners open fire, typing the value, but not convergence, what (if have working) probable don't have good results, because if this new range value don't affect convergence will turn gunners less effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Difficult know what is default gunners convergence, an new bug don't show more the "default convergence" value in Plane > Loadout.

Neither write this value in User.in

Code:
    [Aircraft.BlenheimMkIV]
      belt _Gun01 Gun.VickersK MainBelt 6 0 0 10 11 12
      belt _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 0
      weapons 1 1 1 1 1
      regiment BoB_RAF_B_218Sqn
      hullNumber SOKOL
      serialNumber 212121
      aging 100
    And the bug is not recent, this above screen is from 4.312 version. Same in 5.009.

If set any value, this is show:

And write in User.ini

Code:
    [Aircraft.BlenheimMkIV]
      conv _Gun01 Gun.VickersK 300 301
      conv _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII 300 301 <<<<<<<<<<
      belt _Gun01 Gun.VickersK MainBelt 6 0 0 10 11 12
      belt _Gun00 Gun.Browning303MkII MainBelt 0
      weapons 1 1 1 1 1
      regiment BoB_RAF_B_218Sqn
      hullNumber SOKOL
      serialNumber 212121
      aging 100

BTW - Who are adjusting convergence, remember that this adjust need be done by weapon individually, just set once give you unexpected results.

21. Likes von Graf liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Yes, I was wondering about that too (setting for every single gun) Thought that 'convergence' implies at least always two guns.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    AI convergence is not adjustable, for British fighters probable is set for that "historic" 370 yards (338.328 meters) of default player convergence - value for which reference is not easy to find, the common ones are 400 yards, 250 yards.

In original CloD commands (TAB-x-y) - what never work, had the possibility of set range for gunners open fire, typing the value, but not convergence, what (if have working) probable don't have good results, because if this new range value don't affect convergence will turn gunners less effective.

Well it is good if the AI figthers are at least shooting at whatever distance and convergence they 'think' they should and it is not being affected by the player convergence setting.

And yes the second point is as I thought, I guess the AI doesn't get affected too much by the whole convergence thing as my limited time attacking Wellingtons has usually ended in damage to me.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Well it is good if the AI figthers are at least shooting at whatever distance and convergence they 'think' they should and it is not being affected by the player convergence setting.

And yes the second point is as I thought, I guess the AI doesn't get affected too much by the whole convergence thing as my limited time attacking Wellingtons has usually ended in damage to me.
    Convergence should be set by Pilot skill level, AI or player, ACES attack would wait for close range (historically correct) thus convergence should be around 300 -400 yards /metres ? but this seems not to be the case for AI pilots. They fly close to the target, open fire with wing cannons and .. nothing, many cannon shells fly past the target, exploding well ahead of the target.

I feel if this is fixed, AI ACE pilots will be far more realistic.

Last edited by HurricaneHarvest; Oct-16-2020 at 21:01.
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Convergence should be set by Pilot skill level, AI or player, ACES attack would wait for close range (historically correct) thus convergence should be around 300 -400 yards /metres ? but this seems not to be the case for AI pilots. They fly close to the target, open fire with wing cannons and .. nothing, many cannon shells fly past the target, exploding well ahead of the target.

I feel if this is fixed, AI ACE pilots will be far more realistic.

I think AI level variation is pretty borked at the moment from my experiments and attempts to use it in missions; if you tweak some of the settings it just ruins behaviour of the AI not make them more like an ace or novice.

So at the moment I just try to acheive one working setting where behaviour and gunnery is ok and a threat. Personally I would then control difficulty by having larger numbers or less in the encounters; I mean I would have a flight of 4 average against 2 in the player flight to make a mission tricky, but if I want a relaxed player mission just make it 2 vs 2. Yes I know I am approaching it from a playability and entertainment aspect rather than historic.

What I'm also saying is until the rediculous 'giving up' behaviour where fighters give up their mission and head directly to the last waypoint whilst ignoring all aircraft after one engagement is fixed, for me the accuracy of individual AI aircraft pales into insignificance; might as well just have them on whatever setting works.

26. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    809.23 MB

I made an English translation of the Test Your Gunsight mission by Viel Erfolg ~Varrattu~

Original here
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=222

My translation in English Gun_convergence_test_range.zip

28. Likes N/A, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    varrattu

Hello Stix,
    thanks for your translation.

~V~

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    I made an English translation of the Test Your Gunsight mission by Viel Erfolg ~Varrattu~

Original here
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=222

My translation in English Gun_convergence_test_range.zip

30. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Stix liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

The AI is garbage.

MP depends on it to backfill empty servers and they provided nothing but easy targets to be shot down in droves.
    The Quick Missions completely depend on the AI and well - its terrible.
    Servers like SOW and TWC have FANTASTIC concepts for their servers but the AI has them fighting with one hand behind their back. Again, AI serves only as easy targets and provide almost nothing to game play.
    I don't play SP because there is no dynamic campaign but I would have to assume that the AI makes them poor and offer little in the way of replayability.

Hoping future patches address this for the benefit of ALL players, MP or SP.

Other than the AI the sim is FANTASTIC!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Funny, I watched one of FLARES youtube historical BOB videos recently. His introduction shows a Emil firing at a Defiant, cannon shells flying over one wing and under the other .. lol

Last edited by HurricaneHarvest; Oct-29-2020 at 20:59.
    ((( 32 G Ram )))

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    809.23 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    The AI is garbage.

MP depends on it to backfill empty servers and they provided nothing but easy targets to be shot down in droves.
    The Quick Missions completely depend on the AI and well - its terrible.
    Servers like SOW and TWC have FANTASTIC concepts for their servers but the AI has them fighting with one hand behind their back. Again, AI serves only as easy targets and provide almost nothing to game play.
    I don't play SP because there is no dynamic campaign but I would have to assume that the AI makes them poor and offer little in the way of replayability.

Hoping future patches address this for the benefit of ALL players, MP or SP.

Other than the AI the sim is FANTASTIC!
    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=25174

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    Want to comment about the "BATTLE OF BRITAIN II Wings of Victory Edition".

It is undoubtedly true this game has great AI... and we would like to improve CoD.

But each game has a different code, and BoB II, with its great AI, also does not allow any kind of functional online play... where as CoD allows up to 125 players.

Adding complex AI behaviour does add to computing demands, which does reduce framerate. As it stands now in CoD, if you add a lot of AI flights, it reduces the number of Humans who can be online.

So we will do what we can for CoD's AI behaviour... but we also want to keep CoD's great online capability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

You are perfectly right Stix, but I don't think it is worth the time to discuss this with this particular forist.
    He decided from a seconds long pre-release video clip that was meant to show the damage model, that AI is flying only straight and, despite himself playing online almost every evening on the servers, he gave the game a thumbs down on Steam reviews and does not recommend it.

Most probably he is just such an incredibly perfect ace pilot, that he can shoot down all those 'backfill garbage AI in droves' while we lesser human beings get ripped apart by AI gunners.

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

code.JPG

Couldn't there just be a line of code?

Single PlayerEnhanced Ai
    Multiplayer=default Ai

Done?
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    You are perfectly right Stix, but I don't think it is worth the time to discuss this with this particular forist.
    He decided from a seconds long pre-release video clip that was meant to show the damage model, that AI is flying only straight and, despite himself playing online almost every evening on the servers, he gave the game a thumbs down on Steam reviews and does not recommend it.

Most probably he is just such an incredibly perfect ace pilot, that he can shoot down all those 'backfill garbage AI in droves' while we lesser human beings get ripped apart by AI gunners.

S!

DerDa
    Smh..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SamJoDo View Post
    Smh..

Smh = So much hate.*

*EDIT: I stand corrected, which softens the response considerably. Apologies to SamJoDo for the misunderstanding on my part.

What does SMH mean in text?
    shaking my head
    SMH stands for "shaking my head."

What Does 'SMH' Mean? | Slang Definition of SMH | Merriam-Webster

However, I’m still closing this thread; I’m going to Private Mail as this thread has run its useful course, with apologies to the OP.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Nov-06-2020 at 11:25.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

38. Likes DerDa, danperin, ATAG_Soldat, Little Bill liked this post