Thread: Relic of WWII, British Tallboy bomb explodes in Polish canal

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Relic of WWII, British Tallboy bomb explodes in Polish canal

65 years after British 'Tallboy' bomb dropped by a Lancaster in the raid which sunk the German Cruiser/Pocket Battleship Lutzow was left unexploded, Polish Sappers attempted to disarm it by removing the fuse and gradually burning out the explosive.

But the bomb exploded with spectacular results. No one was hurt and no damage except to a remotely controlled underwater mini sub used by the sappers.

Strangely enough the best video and images I can find are from a Seattle USA station. You need to click to remove a popup after a few seconds.

https://www.khq.com/news/watch-bigge...f44faaeb0.html

Aftermath of the raid on the Lutzow below... two other Tallboy craters can be seen off to the side of the ship.

The ship was not hit directly, but the bomb was powerful enough that the shockwave shattered its hull and it sank till it was resting on the bottom of the canal.

The same bombs were used to sink the Tirpitz... in that case the ship capsized. Bombs were 12,000 lbs/5400 kg.

Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Oct-13-2020 at 17:29.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Re: Relic of WWII, British Tallboy bomb explodes in Polish canal

We have the sappers regularly working in our city (Duisburg, Rhein-Ruhr area) approx. once. twice a year. Mostly British bombs armed with this nice long-time' delay fuze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    65 years after British 'Tallboy' bomb dropped by a Lancaster in the raid which sunk the German Cruiser/Pocket Battleship Lutzow was left unexploded, Polish Sappers attempted to disarm it by removing the fuse and gradually burning out the explosive.

But the bomb exploded with spectacular results. No one was hurt and no damage except to a remotely controlled underwater mini sub used by the sappers.

Strangely enough the best video and images I can find are from a Seattle USA station. You need to click to remove a popup after a few seconds.

https://www.khq.com/news/watch-bigge...f44faaeb0.html

Aftermath of the raid on the Lutzow below... two other Tallboy craters can be seen off to the side of the ship.

The ship was not hit directly, but the bomb was powerful enough that the shockwave shattered its hull and it sank till it was resting on the bottom of the canal.

The same bombs were used to sink the Tirpitz... in that case the ship capsized. Bombs were 12,000 lbs/5400 kg.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work (for me at least).

I get this message:

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
    We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact q6news@khq.com or call 509-448-6000.
    Last edited by major_setback; Oct-14-2020 at 12:16.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Drone View of the explosion

My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    me neither... so I used a VPN and logged in form America instead.

Boo's post contains the same video footage.

text on Buzzsaws link is:

SWINOUJSCIE, Poland - The biggest World War II bomb found in Poland exploded underwater Tuesday while being defused.

The tallboy bomb was used by Britain's Royal Air Force in World War II.

It was dropped in 1945 in an attack on a German cruiser.

It weighed nearly 12,000 pounds, including 5,300 pounds of explosive.

A navy spokesman told state-run news that the object can be considered as neutralized and will not pose any more threats. He added that all mine divers were outside the danger zone.

More than 750 people were evacuated from the area.

Officials said no one was injured and no infrastructure had been damaged.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    We have the sappers regularly working in our city (Duisburg, Rhein-Ruhr area) approx. once. twice a year. Mostly British bombs armed with this nice long-time' delay fuze.
    Hm, not more? Or did you mean bombs which had been found underwater only? I live in Hamburg, every week or so unexploded ordnance has been discoverd. Last year 136 bigger bombs, around 10.000 smal ones like incendiary bombs.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

7. Likes von Graf liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

A navy spokesman told state-run news that the object can be considered as neutralized [/I]

No Shit Sherlock!

Cant help but think the Bomb Disposal Pros knew it was highly likely to happen. Why else would at least three cameras be trained on a flat bit of water?
    Last edited by BOO; Oct-14-2020 at 18:00.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

No fishes were hurt in the making of this movie.... chemical pollution had rendered the canal sterile.
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

10. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    This videos are on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv5KeeBvNOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lgxySltuw

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLuebberstedt View Post
    Hm, not more? Or did you mean bombs which had been found underwater only? I live in Hamburg, every week or so unexploded ordnance has been discoverd. Last year 136 bigger bombs, around 10.000 smal ones like incendiary bombs.
    Yep, I guess there is more every year. In my post I thought at the bomb disposals which are announced in the news because they have to evacuate a 500 -1000 m circle. The daily work of the disposal teams I don't know but according to a memorial here it's the most bombed place in WW2 (ca. 300 air raids) so they surely have enough to do.
    In my childhood during the '60s they apparently found a lot of ammo in the habour and Rhine; I saw the temporary storages on the river banks, heaps of all sorts of ammunition 'secured' by a small fence only and an 'Achtung' sign.
    Perhaps they served as a kind of illustrative material to warn the people.

13. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post