Thread: Spitfire and Hurricane gunsight glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Spitfire and Hurricane gunsight glass

The gunsights for the Spitfire Mk V and Hurricane Mk II are the same as we've always had in CloD on the Mk Is.

However, as far as I am aware, the gunsights were changed slightly, having the same base unit and reticule, but with a square glass panel rather than the round one.

Some images of the differences in the sights are on this page: http://spitfirespares.co.uk/gunsites.html

The square sights were being fitted as of 1941. I can't find any details on the specific introduction dates and it is likely that there was overlap. I would expect some early Vs to have the round glass still, but by 42 surely all the Vc trop aircraft heading to the desert would have had the square glass.

I would suggest making all Spitfire Vs include the square glass gunsight, and probably some Hurricane IIs as well. Perhaps some earlier Hurri IIs would have the round glass still, but by the time the IIb and IIc were arriving, especially in the desert, the square would be standard.

Last edited by ATAG_Flare; Oct-16-2020 at 16:29.

2. Likes MrSteven liked this post
    Manual Creation Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.81 MB

Re: Spitfire and Hurricane gunsight glass

Hi,

I thought Flare was wrong and the square gunsights came only with a Spitfire Mk. IX. But after a brief research, I have to admit I was that one who was wrong.

From what I have seen on the internet, Hurricanes Mk. IIa, IIb, IIc and Spitfires Mk. Va had the older gunsight type with the round reflector glass. But Hurricanes Mk. IId and Spitfires Mk. Vb already had a newer type of gunsight with the square glass.

I'm not sure if the information I have found is reliable. But I'm sure we have some experts with better knowledge here. I wonder what we will learn from them.

Josef

4. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

All I know for sure was that the square sights were introduced in 1941. When in 1941? It's hard to say.

Many Spit Va were just upgraded Mk. I airframes with the new engine. So I would expect the gunsights to not be replaced.

But I would imagine new production Spit Vb trops or Hurricane IIb/IIc trops going to the desert in 1942 would surely have the square sights.

From some educated guesswork I would assign the sights as follows:

All Mk. I Hurricanes and Spits: round

Spit IIa, IIb: round

Spit Va, Vb: round

Spit Vb late, Spit Vb trop, Spit Vb trop late: square

Hurri IIa, IIb, IIc: round

Hurri II lates: square

Hurri IIc trop and IId trop: square

Now I also wonder if any Beaufighters we have would have the square sight too? Probably not, I would expect it on a Beau VI or X however.

6. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB