Thread: The complexity of Ai, BoB:WoVII coded by Buddeye. His explanation of the difficulties

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

The complexity of Ai, BoB:WoVII coded by Buddeye. His explanation of the difficulties

I am not sure if a commercial game developer would feel comfortable releasing his product (his source code). His source is his future with respect to new products which he plans to use as a baseline for future products. A flight sim developer must sell a string of products base on his engine to make any real money these days (you do not develop a new engine for only one product).

The COD manager might be willing to assign a programmer to work with a committed team of AI testers who would test, offer suggestions, analysis, and refinements. All parties would need to understand that the project would be long term (multi-year) with updates maybe every 6 months. A new priviate forum could be used to coordinate the work (the BOBII approach).

I do not want to bore you guys with BOBII but for those interested in AI (and I understand that some players are only into MP), I will offer a document. I offer the document to show an overview of BOBII AI's the scope and complexity. Please skip it if not interested and am sorry for boring anyone.

Overview of the BOBII AI Performance and Design

The redesign of the AI Maneuver Selection

The redesign of the AI maneuver Selection Criteria was driven by the need to become more deterministic and less random in selecting AI maneuvers. I felt the need to move in this direction to improve the AI offence and defense so the AI selection software had more control. Of course there is a big danger in this strategy. We do not want BOBII to become repeatable. This will become a fine line to follow in the future and I will need both our testers and customers help and feedback.

Here is a summary of the new selection criteria design:

1. Altitude (how much altitude and rate of change)
    2. Speed (how much speed, and rate of change)
    3. Position of A/C to each other (none to tail, tail to tail, nose to beam, tail to beam or left, right, front, back)

To implement the new selection criteria I built a 3 X 6 matrix (a truth table) and many new programs. For each A/C (the unfriendly and the AI or the player), I designed programs to look at Altitude, Speed, and position and to first try and select the best maneuver option (aggressive or defense) based on AI skill level.

Altitude and speed can also be thought of as “energy” as altitude can be turned into speed.

The new design uses the A/C’s current position but I am thinking about implementing the A/C’s “lead” position (his future position which would be a small delta in the future).

Anyway, this new design is a long term work BOBII AI strategy (work in progress) that I can work on as I have new ideas for the AI from our testers and customers. It should position the BOBII AI design for future improvements by using more deterministic rather than random selection criteria. The goal is very simple "to improve the AI performance" and keep BOBII the best off line AI.

My gut feel based on my experience and testing is that the AI is now stronger at selecting the best/correct maneuver, avoiding bad positions (like low altitude), better at avoiding low energy, and in general a bit stronger fighter and defender. Of course, the Player will always “win” with experience/practice but if we give the player a better fight (scrap), I personally consider that real progress.

BTW, I also gave the Terminator AI a bit of boost in performance and tune-up so you might want to try it out. With the boost in Terminator performance, he was getting “cocky” so I implemented a spinout feature. The Terminator flies so close to the edge now that he has a tendency to “spinout”. This is when you can get him.

I also implemented a new AI feature called “Flying Factor (FF)”. This is the knowledge of the AI pilot to fly a given maneuver (experience) and how well the AI pilot will actually fly the given maneuver (skill). The FF is based on the Skill Level (customer selected in Instant Action Missions and software assigned in the Campaign). The Terminator AI is assigned a Skill Level of Hero2 (the highest in the game) so that is where he gets his boost in performance (edge).

AI Maneuver Selection is KEY

First, the BOBII AI has a special case for selection called “Evasive maneuver selection”. The Evasive maneuver is required when an AI is shot at (either a hit or near miss). The AI will select a defensive maneuver based on the criteria/data for both Player and enemy AI (speed, altitude, and the position of the targeting AI and the AI being targeted with respect to each other).

The first key decision to be made is to select either an aggressive or defensive maneuver. This is a complex decision based on the available information on both the Player and the Enemy AI or the friendly AI and the enemy AI. The data considered for both Player and enemy is speed, altitude, and the position of the targeting AI and the AI being targeted with respect to each other.

After selecting either an aggressive or defensive, then a random approach is used to select a category (choose good, choose bad, or choose “neither” good nor bad maneuver).

Maneuvers are then divided into three parts Climb, Horizontal, and dive for each of our categories (choose good, choose bad, and choose neither good nor bad maneuver).

The individual maneuver selection is then based on speed, altitude, and position of both the player and the enemy AI.

In BOBII we have over 80 complex maneuvers for selection (both the aggressive and defensive maneuvers) for the fighters (Spit,Hurri,109.110) and over 50 simple maneuvers for selection for the JU87 and Defiant. The following are BOBII’s complex maneuvers (each maneuver is a significant program for completing the assigned maneuver):

MANOEUVRE_SELECT
    MANOEUVRE_LOOKROUND
    MANOEUVRE_WELDEDWINGMAN
    MANOEUVRE_BAILOUT
    MANOEUVRE_TOPCOVER
    MANOEUVRE_FORCETOPCOVER
    MANOEUVRE_LINEABREAST
    MANOEUVRE_PINCER
    MANOEUVRE_MULTIWAVE
    MANOEUVRE_DIVEANDZOOM
    MANOEUVRE_INSIDELOOP
    MANOEUVRE_LAGPURSUIT
    MANOEUVRE_SPLITMANOEUVRE
    MANOEUVRE_HEADON
    MANOEUVRE_LINEASTERN
    MANOEUVRE_VICATTACK
    MANOEUVRE_BARRELROLLATTACK
    MANOEUVRE_SCISSORS
    MANOEUVRE_MILDSCISSORS
    MANOEUVRE_TURNINGFIGHT
    MANOEUVRE_SPLITS
    MANOEUVRE_ZOOMANDDROP
    MANOEUVRE_STRAIGHTANDLEVEL
    MANOEUVRE_SPINOUT
    MANOEUVRE_DIVEFORHOME
    MANOEUVRE_GOHOME
    MANOEUVRE_MAKEFORFRIENDLY
    MANOEUVRE_MOVEAWAY
    MANOEUVRE_QUICKROLL
    MANOEUVRE_IMMELMANNTURN
    MANOEUVRE_IMMELMANN
    MANOEUVRE_STAYWITHPREY
    MANOEUVRE_CLIMBFORHOME
    MANOEUVRE_STRAIGHTDIVE
    MANOEUVRE_OUTSIDELOOP
    MANOEUVRE_SHOOTTOFRIGHTEN
    MANOEUVRE_SHOOTTOOEARLY
    MANOEUVRE_GAINHEIGHT
    MANOEUVRE_LAGROLL
    MANOEUVRE_EXTENSION
    MANOEUVRE_DIVINGROLL
    MANOEUVRE_REVERSETURN
    MANOEUVRE_SELFASBAIT
    MANOEUVRE_JINK
    MANOEUVRE_BREAKTURN
    MANOEUVRE_LAZYTURN
    MANOEUVRE_BREAKLOW
    MANOEUVRE_BREAKHIGH
    MANOEUVRE_BREAK90
    MANOEUVRE_BREAK180
    MANOEUVRE_HIGBARRELROLL
    MANOEUVRE_PANICTURN
    MANOEUVRE_TURNANDRUN
    MANOEUVRE_LOWALT
    MANOEUVRE_ZOOM
    MANOEUVRE_INTERCEPTHIGH
    MANOEUVRE_INTERCEPTLOW
    MANOEUVRE_GAINSPEED
    MANOEUVRE_HEADONATTACK
    MANOEUVRE_LUFBERRY
    MANOEUVRE_STEEPDIVE
    MANOEUVRE_UPANDUNDER
    MANOEUVRE_STALLTURN
    MANOEUVRE_SLASHINGATTACK
    MANOEUVRE_CLIMBTURN
    MANOEUVRE_ROLL360
    MANOEUVRE_STRAFFE
    MANOEUVRE_TRANSITION
    MANOEUVRE_PEELOFF
    MANOEUVRE_SNAPSHOT
    MANOEUVRE_STAYONTAIL
    MANOEUVRE_FLYTHROUGHCLOUD
    MANOEUVRE_REGROUP
    MANOEUVRE_DISENGAGED
    MANOEUVRE_SPINRECOVERY
    MANOEUVRE_COLLIDE
    MANOEUVRE_LAST
    MANOEUVRE_ALIGNMENT
    MANOEUVRE_DROPANDZOOM
    MANOEUVRE_COLLISIONAVOIDANCE
    MANOEUVRE_TURNTOHDGANDPITCH
    MANOEUVRE_SCREWYOUGUYSIMGOINGHOME

The AI Performance Criteria/Dependencies

Skill Level

The AI performance is dependent on AI Skill Level (which is customer selected in Instant Action and SW assigned in the campaign). BOBII AI do make mistakes (spin, crash, dumb maneuvers, bad judgment, shoot late , shoot bad, etc) which is after all very human.

The skill level of the AI is key in making decisions on about everything with respect to AI performance like (1) how well the AI fly, shoot, shoot fast, slow, accuracy, or not shoot, (2) how well the AI fly, what maneuvers are selected, and how well the AI will fly the chosen maneuver.

Random Numbers (Luck of the draw)

The BOBII AI A/C is also dependent on luck (specifically on random numbers). Random number decisions are coded through out the AI code. BOBII’s random approach keeps BOBII from doing the same thing each time. Even something as simple as the direction to start a maneuver (left or right), I will use a random number to decide (why hard code something when you can use a random number).

For example, most BOBII vertical maneuvers use a random number to assign a length of time to for a specific vertical maneuver (Like Zoom). The AI pilot will sometimes cut off early, or late, or somewhere in the middle. If early the maneuver may carry too much speed and if late the AI may slow down so much that control is lost (very human).

The bottom line is that the customer will always see a somewhat different maneuver (very good, good, not so good, and loss of control) both because of the random implementation and the different physic’s parameters (speed, roll, heading, pitch, and overall energy) going into each maneuver.

The very real downside of random numbers is it is very hard to test (not repeatable) and the processing power used.

Conditions

The conditions for each maneuver are always different (energy, speed, altitude, skill, damage, and enemy position). This also changes how the maneuver is performed. A damaged AI will not fly as well as an undamaged AI.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    186.71 MB

Re: The complexity of Ai, BoB:WoVII coded by Buddeye. His explanation of the difficul

I wish this could be implemented into COD. Even though I am strictly MP the servers are rarely full and therefore AI is used to make up the differences. The AI is pretty garbage/useless - just mindless drones to get shot down in droves. They provide very little in terms of challenge or replayability and do not mimic what a 'real' pilot would do in almost any scenario. What's worse is that the servers trying to build massive battles (TWC, SOW) are VERY reliant on COD AI and this unfortunately makes them operate with one hand tied behind their back.
    Last edited by SamJoDo; Oct-21-2020 at 09:58.

3. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Re: The complexity of Ai, BoB:WoVII coded by Buddeye. His explanation of the difficul

Thanks for posting this..Its amazing the level of detail that he put into the AI. with BOBII WOV being only Single player It was absolutely crucial to have the best AI as humanly possible. Looking at some of the Maneuvers he has in there..Even the Luftberry! Every game engine handles these maneuver trees differently..but If it gives the TFS guys any Info that can help, its well worth it!
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    13.04 MB

I would be willing to pay the equivalent of the TF 5.0 Tobruk add-on for an add-on that simply incorporates this level of AI alone.
    ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 PC
    Intel Z390 Chipset
    Intel 8-Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz
    Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6
    2TB 7200RPM HDD
    1TB Solid State Drive
    64GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM
    850W PS
    Windows 10 Gaming Desktop

In honor of Arlie "Jack" Campbell, (1923-2006), United States Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done, Sir.