Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any news/hope?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Is there any news/hope?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any news that can give me hope on some issues that are still present?

1) Missing mirrors - Would it be possible to run a process that mimicks loading and closing a single mission for the first time that a multiplayer mission is started? Hide it behind a second loading screen or something? I'd be ok with an extra 30 seconds to a minute (or whatever) of loading screen (on the first instance only) rather than rage-quitting after I join a server, check loadout and skin, plan my flight, start my engines, taxi to runway,. then realise I have no mirror.

2) AI not using AttackAir after they've used it once - I've raised this before but would really like to know the official stance if possible, can TF access the code for this? Does someone have the knowledge to fix it?

3) AI jumping to last waypoint after engagement - Similar to above, can TF access this code, does someone have the knowledge to alter it?

4) Leader saying 'I can barely see you' - Can this be altered so it only operates when you are within 1km (or similar) of the leader? Do TF has access to this sort of code?

5) Can TF put user any more user-friendly triggers in the FMB? For example a 'pass into' rather than 'pass through'. I know it can be done with script but the lack of a 'making life eaiser' change like this gives the impression of not caring.

6) Draw distance for buildings - Now this may just be me being lazy and not looking properly in the options, but buildings seem to pop in very late; I mean targets, airfields, piers. I pretty much have to scan in 'lean to ginsight mode' constantly. Seeing your target is a massive part of the game, can this be improved? If it is limited for performance, can this be made an option in single player at least, especially when flying a bomber it is ALL about seeing navigation points, target and your home base.

7) Bonkers movement of ground vehicles; based on splines or whatever it is. Just makes me weep.

I realise that these points can be percieved as, or indeed are, unfair criticisms and it is never nice to have work criticised, but I stress CloD has the best flying experience, damage, engine management etc. etc. and I love simple things like the colour of the sea in Africa. No other sim that I have tried can give these elements, but the my current concern is that if these things are not being addressed, is it then that they simply cannot be addressed because the code is not accessible? So am I dreaming of miracles?
    I am Yo-Yo not YoYo (that's someone else)

2. Likes von Graf, ITAF_Airone1989, 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Is there any news/hope?

https://tenor.com/view/yoda-patience...e-gif-15254127

Please try not to forget, that TFS is just a small bunch of enthousiasts, working in their spare time, all having jobs and families in real life.
    They managed to release Tobruk not three months ago and, to my knowledge, none of them has ever seen a single cent for all their thousands and thousands of hours of work.
    I'm sure you agree that they all would deserve a break. But no, they are still relentlessly working to get out a substantial update with bugfixes and new content every week.
    I really don't think anyone could get the impression of 'no interest'.

I really appreciate your efforts to work with the game and I fully agree that it is the best flightsim we have. But keep in mind that there are many, many, many urgent requests and fixes and only very few people who can work on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re. the missing mirrors.
    Sadly it has been one of those bugs that loves to hide. Whenever you try to test/debug it, everything works fine.
    Is like taking the car to the mechanic because it has a weird sound only for it to not sound at all when in presence of the guy that's supposed to fix it.

Regarding other issues/requests. I'm sure they will be tackled eventually but there's only so much time in a day so fixes/changes will come as fast as humanly possible.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post

Please try not to forget, that TFS is just a small bunch of enthousiasts, working in their spare time, all having jobs and families in real life.
    They managed to release Tobruk not three months ago and, to my knowledge, none of them has ever seen a single cent for all their thousands and thousands of hours of work.
    I'm sure you agree that they all would deserve a break. But no, they are still relentlessly working to get out a substantial update with bugfixes and new content every week.

I really appreciate your efforts to work with the game and I fully agree that it is the best flightsim we have. But keep in mind that there are many, many, many urgent requests and fixes and only very few people who can work on them.
    I understand much of what you say, it is remarkable that they are able to create aircraft that in my opinion are better than other 'real commercial' development team sims out there.

My point is that there are bugs that negate the value/use of any new content that is released outside of multiplayer, and I am wondering if I am waiting in vain for them to be addressed because maybe the 'code' is simply not accessible to the team. Taking just the airattack one, the fix of that is worth any number of new aircraft for single player to me, I can't think of much that is more urgent than that in all honesty, and have felt like that since pre-blitz.

I believe that people enter SP then move to MP, not play MP then move to SP. Without improvements to SP you won't get the growth in MP, all you can hope for is to attract back some of the oldies who left.

I had feedback on my campaign so far, and for one person much of it related to bugs in the game, and it's left me wondering if there is any point in finishing it. I tried a dynamic misssion programme that someone else built and I thought, 'oo this is nice'....but then halfway through the first mission up pipes that ****ing commander with his 'much closer' message on repeat.

I'm not meaning to be critical of CloD for the sake of it, I am completely lost at how people are still so simply vindictive towards it, grown men at that, especially after TF have done so much for it, but, I also wish to be honest and it seems that whilst the MP environment is leaping forward, the single player world is barely a shuffle forward in the sense of gameplay/fixes. Ironically this is exactly the problem that BoX has.

I'm happy enough to jump online from time to time to get use out of it, but really can't see much point in mission building right now, and that has got me down somewhat. (Although perhaps I'm just in a low point generally, so my attitude will improve in time)
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Oct-26-2020 at 12:56.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Re. the missing mirrors.
    Sadly it has been one of those bugs that loves to hide. Whenever you try to test/debug it, everything works fine.
    Is like taking the car to the mechanic because it has a weird sound only for it to not sound at all when in presence of the guy that's supposed to fix it.

Regarding other issues/requests. I'm sure they will be tackled eventually but there's only so much time in a day so fixes/changes will come as fast as humanly possible.
    Funnily enough I had a car that constantly made a squealing scraping sound as I drove it, people would turn their heads in the street. I dropped it off at the garage to get it fixed only to pick it up later where they said they 'couldn't hear anything ' after taking it round the block. My arse. When it went in for the MOT at a different garage a few weeks later it turns out one of the brake pads had been wearing down continuously and that was the noise.

Either straight up a lying mechanic who couldnt be bothered to check it, or his ears were so old they lost their high frequency hearing!
    Last edited by Yo-Yo; Oct-26-2020 at 12:54.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.06 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if there was any news that can give me hope on some issues that are still present?

1) Missing mirrors - Would it be possible to run a process that mimicks loading and closing a single mission for the first time that a multiplayer mission is started? Hide it behind a second loading screen or something? I'd be ok with an extra 30 seconds to a minute (or whatever) of loading screen (on the first instance only) rather than rage-quitting after I join a server, check loadout and skin, plan my flight, start my engines, taxi to runway,. then realise I have no mirror.
    The trick (not my discovery) seems to be to start a flight in single player first, then exit that and join a server - works for me, anyway

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by paulferris1964 View Post
    The trick (not my discovery) seems to be to start a flight in single player first, then exit that and join a server - works for me, anyway
    Yes thanks, I'm aware of that, but it's a load of action to have to take each time, and I do forget. It's not gamebreaking though, but it is something that affects first/returning impressions. What might become second nature to old hands, appears like a big unnecessary bug to newcomers.

My random thought on it was just that if they can't fix the thing, could they not have a process that runs the first time multiplayer is started in a game session, that opens a single mission and cancels it immediately but all behind a loading screen, then, run the process to open multiplayer. The time it takes doing this would be shorter surely than the user clicking a number of times through to do exactly the same and avoid the pyschological impact of 'must do this to get around the bug'. But I realise this is just the musings of a madman and as I refer to in my other post, I just have no idea what to hope for from TF outside of the clearly apparent additions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Yo-Yo

Sorry, but your noble fight remind me this guy fight:

10. Likes 5th Hellrider, N/A, von Graf, carbolicus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Yo-Yo
    Is that a Rotol?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Yo-Yo

Terry Gilliam?
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

My random thought on it was just that if they can't fix the thing, could they not have a process that runs the first time multiplayer is started in a game session, that opens a single mission and cancels it immediately but all behind a loading screen, then, run the process to open multiplayer. The time it takes doing this would be shorter surely than the user clicking a number of times through to do exactly the same and avoid the pyschological impact of 'must do this to get around the bug'..
    This would not work, because some people like to fly in different ac.
    If you do this procedure before joining a mp server, you will have your mirror. If you then spawn in an ac without mirror (twin engine) and subsequently again in one with a mirror, the mirror will be gone.
    At least this was the case before Tobruk, now there seems to be some additional randomness added.

14. Likes Yo-Yo liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

This would not work, because some people like to fly in different ac.
    If you do this procedure before joining a mp server, you will have your mirror. If you then spawn in an ac without mirror (twin engine) and subsequently again in one with a mirror, the mirror will be gone.
    At least this was the case before Tobruk, now there seems to be some additional randomness added.
    Ah, I see, well that is interesting and good to know thanks (as I now know to come out and back in if I change aircraft.)

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Thanks, that's valuable information for me, as I falsely had the impression TF at last get paid when the project for 5.0 started some years ago. But I have no clue about game development.

Playing CloD since the early days, but only in SP, I'd like to see some of the issues fixed too. Of course, who not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    Thanks, that's valuable information for me, as I falsely had the impression TF at last get paid when the project for 5.0 started some years ago. But I have no clue about game development.

Playing CloD since the early days, but only in SP, I'd like to see some of the issues fixed too. Of course, who not.
    None of TF5 Desert Wings development work was paid. The only way we get paid is if people buy the game.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    None of TF5 Desert Wings development work was paid. The only way we get paid is if people buy the game.
    I didn't realise this either. Really appreciate the sacrifices and dedication of TF even more now!

Any chance that 777 might allocate resources to bring things along a bit quicker?

Might be a good investment for them - e.g. a quicker introduction of VR capability might easily double sales perhaps?

19. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

If you put "Single Mission" in your personal startup checklist, activating mirrors can be as routine as releasing the parking brake before shifting into drive. I personally use the single mission startup to also check flight controls, communications and voice control items (VAC, Voice attack, Target, teamspeak and Discord, etc.).

Like you, I hate being surprised by accessories that aren't working or USB's that didn't initialize properly.
    Last edited by Baffin; Oct-28-2020 at 10:45. Reason: typo
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

21. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for your dedication and good work.

23. Likes major_setback, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Hello All

None of TF 5.0 development work done by TF members was paid.

To this point, we have received nothing from 1C for sales. (normal for there to be delays in reporting and payment from Steam, etc. sources)

Even when we do, the fact the sales are not large means most people in effect will have been working for perhaps 1/4 of minimum wage.

I personally have been working on this project since November 2012 and have not yet been re-paid for the thousands of dollars I personally put up to set up TF as a company. (required by 1C before a contract could be signed giving access to the Source Code)

This is a group of flight sim enthusiasts who do the work because they like the game not because they thought they'd get rich.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

Buzzsaw = All you TF guys are stars!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

I'm using this thread that I started to just quietly say I'm taking a break from all things single player (and therefore CLoD pretty much).

Today flying a mission it just got too much and rather than gnash my teeth and fester over such a 1st world problem, it is probably best if I take some time away. I love the aircraft that you (TF) have built so much, but damn, trying to fly single player stuff just gets so unbelievably annoying.

MP is so quiet most of the time I try to get on, but I will try to drop in there from time to time.

Good luck with the future patches, I still cling to the hope some big bugs in the single player can be squashed and until then will hopefully give some of you a nice easy target in MP when I do get on there as I'm spending too much time marvelling at the beautiful cockpits rather than checking my 6.

S!

27. Likes danperin, von Graf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

I'm using this thread that I started to just quietly say I'm taking a break from all things single player (and therefore CLoD pretty much).

Today flying a mission it just got too much and rather than gnash my teeth and fester over such a 1st world problem, it is probably best if I take some time away. I love the aircraft that you (TF) have built so much, but damn, trying to fly single player stuff just gets so unbelievably annoying.

MP is so quiet most of the time I try to get on, but I will try to drop in there from time to time.

Good luck with the future patches, I still cling to the hope some big bugs in the single player can be squashed and until then will hopefully give some of you a nice easy target in MP when I do get on there as I'm spending too much time marvelling at the beautiful cockpits rather than checking my 6.

S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

You should try the TWC Campaign server with its Knickebein and Cover system, it's a great time investment!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

S!
    Have a little faith Yo-Yo - there's some fantastic new weather coming, and VR!!

Here's a couple of Dunkirk Spits showing who's the daddy to a Stuka. CLoD seascapes can look amazing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

31. Likes danperin, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Quote Originally Posted by carbolicus View Post

Here's a couple of Dunkirk Spits showing who's the daddy to a Stuka. CLoD seascapes can look amazing.
    Everyone is aware of the features, no-one is aware of when either will arrive.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

That's where it gets annoying, you're ignoring what I'm saying and that compunds the bad feeling towards the game.

New weather and VR is not:

Wingmen commands that work, AI following waypoints after a battle, turning Air_attack back on after an engagement, stopping porpoising and rolling of aircraft, land vehicles following paths, and stopping the stupid 'I can't see you radio call' etc. I'm not even thinking about the lack of a 'proper' career engine, I understand that is most likely impossible.

At the moment SP missions can be good to a point, but generally 99% of them get some bug or glitch in them that drags you out of the emjoment with a crash. As time goes by the feeling is just ' oh jesus, not again'.

I've had the 'faith' to make a mission building guide and buy a second copy of tobruk for someone else as a gift, and I tried to make a campaign; I'm taking a break to try and keep the faith. But this is harder when the response to the discussion of SP bugs is:

- TF are not paid
    - Play MP
    - Wait for new features that aren't addressing the SP issues

Is it that hard to understand that no matter how good MP is, if SP is not improved then SP people will not be interested in it?

I've said before, CloD MP is the best I know apart from the lack of numbers in it, but SP it is not and whilst I know how awesome it can be to be part of a squad flying coordinated and spanking loners, or having more balanced battles against other squads, this is actually a completely different kettle of fish to what the average SP player wants (I beleive).

An example from BoX not CLoD is that on one of the servers they have removed the buildings from Stalingrad,... removed... the... buildings! Whilst that may be acceptable to many in a MP environment, it is madness for me, and that is because it is a crucial part of the environment, the game, the experience.

Anyway, I will leave it there because I'm starting to rant, which I really didn't want to do.

So do zobaczenia, look out for a Welly in the desert from time to time and give it a squirt, or escort.

34. Likes Mysticpuma, von Graf, Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

I'm happy enough to jump online from time to time to get use out of it, but really can't see much point in mission building right now, and that has got me down somewhat. (Although perhaps I'm just in a low point generally, so my attitude will improve in time)
    Well, I don't want to be the kingslayer but when it comes to SP the Great Battle-Series is probably the better choice. Nice SP-campaigns, a lot of planes, pretty graphics, tons of eye candy. (I still prefer MP-Clod because of the war theaters, the Ju 88 variants and the commnity.)

cheers
    Henry
    Last edited by HenryLuebberstedt; Dec-07-2020 at 12:56.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

36. Likes danperin liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    589.91 MB

That's where it gets annoying, you're ignoring what I'm saying and that compunds the bad feeling towards the game.
    I take your point Yo-Yo, I'm SP only too and the poor AI, aircraft flying straight and level with full rudder on, 50% weathering regardless on track playback (not a bug before), the claim that AI aircraft will fly at 10 metres when they still don't etc etc irritates me hugely too.

But CLoD has come so far thanks to Team Fusion, and I don't want to discourage them from achieving more.

For me personally, the ten-year-old graphics are better than any other sim, most of which are newer - the current cumulus style clouds (admittedly the only ones we get at present) are actually superior to the MS 2020 flight sim cumulus, which look like candy-floss.

The sea also looks excellent when you're viewing east or west as in my screenshot (for some strange reason when you're viewing north or south it doesn't look so good as you get those peculiar lines...!)

38. Likes Fred Karno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

...there's some fantastic new weather coming, and VR!!
    Unfortunately, none of this will change the Single Player, if AI related issues remain as is.

BTW - The new weather was a teaser a long time ago, and has not been implemented, probably caused one of the typical CloD "collateral effects" if used.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    22.61 MB

I take your point Yo-Yo, I'm SP only too and the poor AI, aircraft flying straight and level with full rudder on, 50% weathering regardless on track playback (not a bug before), the claim that AI aircraft will fly at 10 metres when they still don't etc etc irritates me hugely too.

But CLoD has come so far thanks to Team Fusion, and I don't want to discourage them from achieving more.

For me personally, the ten-year-old graphics are better than any other sim, most of which are newer - the current cumulus style clouds (admittedly the only ones we get at present) are actually superior to the MS 2020 flight sim cumulus, which look like candy-floss.

The sea also looks excellent when you're viewing east or west as in my screenshot (for some strange reason when you're viewing north or south it doesn't look so good as you get those peculiar lines...!)
    Yep sorry, my reply reads more aggressive than it was intended.

They shouldn't be discouraged because what they (TF) have done is not being criticised, it is the original unfixed SP things that are game breaking (except maybe the vehicle paths thing). This thread was originally posted because I wondered if they would or could ever fix the SP things, what was the limiting factor etc,... there was no answer to that.

Clod is a great multiplayer game, and they (TF) have got something already that provides all the elements for excellent MP play, and if they get no money for it, I hope they at least get the gameplay enjoyment time (they deserve) and whilst they do so they can think 'I made this', which is what the payback is for Mods anyway.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    484.9 KB

Wingmen commands that work, AI following waypoints after a battle, turning Air_attack back on after an engagement, stopping porpoising and rolling of aircraft, land vehicles following paths, and stopping the stupid 'I can't see you radio call' etc. I'm not even thinking about the lack of a 'proper' career engine, I understand that is most likely impossible.
    Big sympathy YoYo. I also bought a new copy of Blitz+Tobruk to support the guys and don't regret that, but have now uninstalled again because SP is still broken - and I needed the disk space for AC Valhalla

I personally feel like asking Team Fusion to fix SP is wasted energy though, so I haven't plagued them. A little like asking a fish to be a bird. They have built a great MP game and got that working with a new map and kites and so the way I think of Cliffs is that it is a MP game. No real point asking for it to be what it isn't.

H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast