Thread: Hi new oldish guy feeling overwhelmed

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    140.72 MB

Talking Hi new oldish guy feeling overwhelmed

Hi,
    I realise I registered a long time ago. I've played flight sims most of my life - Started on a ZX81! I've mostly been playing WW1 sims but got CLOD way back, but never found the time to learn it properly. I'm intrested in joining a group of chaps who like flying - Ive mostly been offline player but fancied having a go online.

Im a bit overwhelmed in knowing what to do next?

I'm in the UK south coast..

Thank you

Seb

Edit ....

Please ignore this ... I've realised I said almost exactly the same thing a few years ago! And have just been reading the answers! like I say an old guy here - memory not what it should be! Thanks again for having me!
    Last edited by SebToombs; Oct-26-2020 at 12:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: Hi new oldish guy feeling overwhelmed

Welcome!

I'm sure lots of the British chaps will be around immediately offering you more help than you ever wanted
    If you just get Teamspeak installed you will learn the basics in no time.

See you up there

DerDa

3. Likes ATAG_Snapper, SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SebToombs View Post
    Edit ....

Please ignore this ... I've realised I said almost exactly the same thing a few years ago! And have just been reading the answers! like I say an old guy here - memory not what it should be! Thanks again for having me!
    I see the benefits of being old.. you can rewatch movies!! I WANNA GET OLD NOW!

5. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I WANNA GET OLD NOW!
    Believe me, you don’t...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    I see the benefits of being old.. you can rewatch movies!! I WANNA GET OLD NOW!
    You wanna swap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

seb you should install discord or teamspeak or both and talk to the players you will find a community that welcomes new (old) players we all had to learn some where stop by the TWC website and join our discord most of us are 50+ years old
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper, SebToombs liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Us DangerDogz got lost of old gits.
    Experienced ones.
    But also the ones that like will really never learn ... and we are in the majority there! Proud of it!

But... not to worry, we do have lots of fun, we are relaxed... then again, very little of us still fly Cliffs of Dover. Mostly it's GBS at the moment.

We do have 2 Cliffs servers running 24/7 - ish ... and a public TS server:
    dangerdogz.com:9988
    pw:sheep

So, if you want some online stuff to start off, check http://dangerdogz.com/forums, you can see who's on TS there ... Or just hop on in a server, and go for it!

Have Fun!

11. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    213.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    You wanna swap?
    Sorry not that old, how old you are now? Around 103?

13. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    140.72 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Us DangerDogz got lost of old gits.
    Experienced ones.
    But also the ones that like will really never learn ... and we are in the majority there! Proud of it!

But... not to worry, we do have lots of fun, we are relaxed... then again, very little of us still fly Cliffs of Dover. Mostly it's GBS at the moment.

We do have 2 Cliffs servers running 24/7 - ish ... and a public TS server:
    dangerdogz.com:9988
    pw:sheep

So, if you want some online stuff to start off, check http://dangerdogz.com/forums, you can see who's on TS there ... Or just hop on in a server, and go for it!

Have Fun!
    Thank you - I'll check the website ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Seb.......sorry, I'm a bit late in responding to your request but......if you are looking for somebody who can take you for 'a tour' through the various multiplayer servers and have a good old chin-wag about 'all things Cliffs of Dover'...I'm yer man! We can just pick a time...wing up....talk on Team Speak3...and see how you like it. If you're happy you could then 'wing up' at a later date with everybody on our multiplayer server...and I can introduce you to all the chaps. They are all to a man 'stout fellows and true!' You really can't fo wrong and there is so much fun to be had!

I live in Marlow, in the Thames Valley, England so our timings should not be a problem. If you fancy this idea just drop a post here on this thread and we can sort out a time to suit both of us! Not a problem! All the best.......Salute!

16. Likes DerDa, SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Forgot to say...I'm an old ish guy at 63. As Fatal said, there's a lot of us around! All a bit of a mystery though! Time goes so fast....I swear this time last week I was only 32! Salute!

18. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    140.72 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Seb.......sorry, I'm a bit late in responding to your request but......if you are looking for somebody who can take you for 'a tour' through the various multiplayer servers and have a good old chin-wag about 'all things Cliffs of Dover'...I'm yer man! We can just pick a time...wing up....talk on Team Speak3...and see how you like it. If you're happy you could then 'wing up' at a later date with everybody on our multiplayer server...and I can introduce you to all the chaps. They are all to a man 'stout fellows and true!' You really can't fo wrong and there is so much fun to be had!

I live in Marlow, in the Thames Valley, England so our timings should not be a problem. If you fancy this idea just drop a post here on this thread and we can sort out a time to suit both of us! Not a problem! All the best.......Salute!
    Marlow, thats wonderful. I'd like that very much.

I'm in East Sussex but grew up in Beaconsfield so know Marlow very well indeed. Back in the day, we'd often go the the Checkers. I had a friend who worked at the bar there. I'm around this week with the exception of Friday Evening and Sunday. Please do drop me a line when we might fly.

Thank you again

Seb

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Seb.......ha ha! Fancy that! I took my wife for a very early date at The Checkers. I think it was a Bernie Inn at the time and probably all I could afford but we didn't care! Young love, and all that! We're still together after 43 years...and proud of it!

I'm retired now so fixing a time should be relatively easy! Hang on to your straps and I'll be back with a time...maybe even tomorrow afternoon! Cheers....salute!

21. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Talking Re: Hi new oldish guy feeling overwhelmed

Hi,
    I realise I registered a long time ago. I've played flight sims most of my life - Started on a ZX81! I've mostly been playing WW1 sims but got CLOD way back, but never found the time to learn it properly. I'm intrested in joining a group of chaps who like flying - Ive mostly been offline player but fancied having a go online.

Im a bit overwhelmed in knowing what to do next?

I'm in the UK south coast..

Thank you

Seb

Edit ....

Don't knock getting old. We will re-release TF5 again after New Year without any new content, just so that old guys will buy it all over again.

I have several books at home that I have purchased twice - forgetting I'd already got them. Not only books either ...
    Last edited by major_setback; Oct-28-2020 at 06:29.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

23. Likes SebToombs, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post

I have several books at home that I have purchased twice - forgetting I'd already got them. Not only books either ...

It feels so good not to be alone ...

25. Likes SebToombs, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

I once purchased a book to improve my memory. Can't remember where I put it...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Marlow, thats wonderful. I'd like that very much.

Please do drop me a line when we might fly.

Thank you again

Seb
    Hi Seb...just wondering whether you would be up for a quick sortie this afternoon around 3.30pm? No problems if you are busy. We can always find another time.

It would be good to go up when the servers are relatively quiet so we can chat and I can hopefully find out 'where you're at' and what you'd like to achieve/do. I won't pretend to have all the answers but I'm hoping I can provide some pointers.....

This is a very difficult sim and I still get shot down regularly, espescially in the new Tobruk scenario, where the aircraft are all new and we are trying to get used to the heavier cannon armed aircraft. The 1940 set of aircraft are lighter and are far more forgiving when it comes to tight turns and stall speeds.

Do you have Team Speak3 downloaded? That's the easiest way for us to chat. I don't have the new alternative, discord. If not here is a 'sticky' thread on the Forum on setting up:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...read.php?t=732

Are you using some sort of head tracking device? I use Track Ir5 and for me it's a game changer. Mind you some of the best pilots here (Eg Moose) do not use a headtracker but look about using their hat switch! Too slow for me!

I will be in the lobby of Team Speak3 ATAG Server at 3.30pm. That's the room you automatically find yourself in on joining Team Speak. Then we can find a nice quiet channel and see where we're at. It'll be fun! Hope to 'see you' later! Salute!

P.s. Tried to drop you a PM but no joy? Strange.

28. Likes SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
    Don't knock getting old. We will re-release TF5 again after New Year without any new content, just so that old guys will buy it all over again.

I hate it when that happens!!

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    I once purchased a book to improve my memory. Can't remember where I put it...
    I know the feeling. My daughter got me taking fish oil pills. They’re good for two things - memory retention and something else....

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

31. Likes ATAG_Noofy, SebToombs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    I hate it when that happens!!
    Before long we'll be driving the wrong way down the motorway.
    Virtual reality if the only safe way ahead - Buy Desert Wings now!!!
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

33. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hi Seb.......ha ha! Fancy that! I took my wife for a very early date at The Checkers. I think it was a Bernie Inn at the time and probably all I could afford but we didn't care! Young love, and all that! We're still together after 43 years...and proud of it!

I'm retired now so fixing a time should be relatively easy! Hang on to your straps and I'll be back with a time...maybe even tomorrow afternoon! Cheers....salute!
    Hi Seb and Marlow,

It was a real pleasure meeting up with you both today. Seb, you are a quick study, I must say. You held perfect formation with Marlow during various maneuvres. Other than one Me 110 intruder, I’m glad your training session went uninterrupted for the duration of the map.

Looking forward to meeting up with you again soon.

Cheers,

Snapper

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

35. Likes SebToombs, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    140.72 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Hi Seb and Marlow,

It was a real pleasure meeting up with you both today. Seb, you are a quick study, I must say. You held perfect formation with Marlow during various maneuvres. Other than one Me 110 intruder, I’m glad your training session went uninterrupted for the duration of the map.

Looking forward to meeting up with you again soon.

Cheers,

Snapper
    Thank you for making me so welcome! I loved it!