Thread: Spitfire "joystick"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Spitfire "joystick"

The guy need "Beta Testers" for their Spitfire Mk.IX "joystick" project.

Quote Originally Posted by Spit40;n7116273
    Anyone interested in some authentic flight controls for a Spit MkIX and, in time, other aircraft? I've started this project which will hopefully build into a community over time. Its primarily a VR thing and I'm focussing on the main tactile flight controls like spade/stick, throttle quadrant, elevator trim. Also flaps and landing gear - I love the action on that simple control. PointCtrl can handle the rest. I've developed a range of modular components that make it easy to build compatible products that go into a universal control hub.

Self-Build Kit for Non-Engineers
    This is a self-build kit and you need to 3d print the plastic. All the rest is cheap commodity stuff like bearing, magnets & hall sensors you buy off eBay and Amazon. It's not really a project for engineers - i'm building it for people who are game to assemble an Ikea wardrobe.

Beta Testing soon
    Before I upload everything to Thingiverse I'll be looking to beta test with some people who know what they want. There is no reason this stuff should not feel as good as proper commercial gear and that's my aim. Let me know if you're interested.

Flight Stick first
    Here's a render of the flight stick at the current stage of development as well as an early version I took down to Goodwood to compare against their MkIX simulator. Also how it looks with a dev. version of the throttle quadrant (landing gear lying on the floor)

More info here: AuthentiKit.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Spitfire "joystick"

The developed kit is very well engineered, with bearings in pivots and Hall sensor in axis, included brake lever, to be assembled with screws and even without use solder in wires - but the alternative is more complicated and less reliable.

In the actual version the "BBC" fire button is only B or C - easy to modify for work like the real part (Browning's, Both, Canons).

The center system is (IMO) more "swing" than desirable, when the guy release the drawings one can modify for more precise system like CAM.

Assembly guide videos:

Part I: https://youtu.be/EgKM_g82wyg
    Part II: https://youtu.be/NUmpx08Vtss
    Part III:
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-26-2020 at 10:51.

3. Likes von Graf, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    45.68 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    The guy need "Beta Testers" for their Spitfire Mk.IX "joystick" project.

Personally, I think the pitch axis needs strengthening, instead of a center post, it needs 2 outer mounts on the baseplate
    (you can see in other another video, it has way too much bend)
    Je Maintiendrai

PC Specs: Intel I5 8600k @4.8 Ghz/ Aorus Z390 Pro / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb @ 1905Mhz/ Corsair BX 2x16Gb @3200Mhz
    XPG Spectrix S40G, 256GB NVMe / Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe / Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4port USB 3.1 PCIe
    Asus VG278HE / Oculus Rift / Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick and T50 Throttle / Saitek Combat Rudders / 2x Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat and the occasional witty comment"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Now with true "BBC" fire button.

Very interesting how this is assembled, not even solder is required.

6. Likes Stormrider, Nightdare, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Grim Reapers review

Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-05-2021 at 10:54.