Thread: Video: Henrys Tow Plane Weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Video: Henrys Tow Plane Weekend

Hi folks

a few weeks ago I had a Tow-Plane-Training in Uelzen 90 km sw of Hamburg and made a little video. It was so much fun! 1 weekend, 2 tow planes, 4 Gliders and around 20 pilots of our club. We did 70 take offs a day! The weather was a dream at that late september weekend. 18 degress celsius, alomost no wind, no thermals - perfect for beginners! My personal highlight had been my sunset flight back to Hamburg.

System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Re: Video: Henrys Tow Plane Weekend

That was nice!
    Good to see that you make progress in gliding. Maybe one day I will test that as well.
    The clubs here in the vicinity do not have any winch, there it is tow plane from the beginning.

3. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kayo View Post
    That was nice!
    Good to see that you make progress in gliding. Maybe one day I will test that as well.
    The clubs here in the vicinity do not have any winch, there it is tow plane from the beginning.
    A winch is a pretty good thing in the begining. Good because inexpansive compared to a tow plane But be warned: gliding is a time eating hobby.
    But there are these little perfect moments: It was mid august, I drove to our airfiled and didn't expect much. It was very late in the afternoon, thermals were mostly gone. A last glider was standing there. Fancy for a ride?, one of the instructors asked me. So I jumped in. This tiny cloud north east, try it there, he said. A few seconds later the winch brought me up to 450 meters. I had no luck under this tiny cloud and lost 100 meters. I turned back towards the airstrip. At 230 meters I felt a some lift under my left wing. Stick and rudder hard left into a tight turn, one circle, another one and then I've got the thermal. 300 meters, 400, 550 ... 1000 meters. 45 degrees, 70 - 80 km/h. A second plane came into the circle and a hawk. All together we three were dancing silently in the warm evening airflow. It was so fuc.. peaceful. After an hour I had to return.
    Last edited by HenryLuebberstedt; Oct-29-2020 at 17:50.
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Yes, I know, takes a lot of time. I have a PPL for SEP but could not manage to sustain enough currency to feel save so I paused it for now. But I remember how fantastic it was to go up early a Sunday morning, driving out to the airfield and taking up our old Piper Cadet for a spin out over the archipelago in the low morning sun. Ok, not as peaceful as gliding but completely and utterly giving you a break from everyday life.
    Hope I can start again when the kids are grown up, have high hopes on electrical gliders as the future means of freedom for hobby pilots.

6. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

That's gotta be such a buzz. Thx for sharing that Henry.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

8. Likes HenryLuebberstedt liked this post