Thread: Attack ships

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Attack ships

Is possible set Beaufighter's for strafe ships?

2. Likes Jamal liked this post
    varrattu

Re: Attack ships

Why not?

~V~

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Is possible set Beaufighter's for strafe ships?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

I am testing what ships can be destroyed by Beaufighter cannons - with Attack Target waypoint.

So far these:

Fishing ship
    Schnellboot
    Type VII submarine

And notice that my wingmans just report see the ships and start repeat endless "That's do the trick." but not attack and leave the area.

5. Likes DerDa, 5th Hellrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I am testing what ships can be destroyed by Beaufighter cannons - with Attack Target waypoint.

So far these:

Fishing ship
    Schnellboot
    Type VII submarine

And notice that my wingmans just report see the ships and start repeat endless "That's do the trick." but not attack and leave the area.
    It is also possible (and was already pre-Tobruk) to sink a Minensuchboot, using the cannons. You have to hit the gun on the forecastle. That means if you ever get close enough to shoot, which happens about 1 time in 100 attempts.
    I always found it strange that it is possible to sink a (small) warship, but not one of the smaller freighters or tankers.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

110s can sink vospers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Well, make mission with Beau attacking ships result no fun.

They don't strafe.

Beau 1C can drop bombs, but AI drop a bit high and miss most time.

The only thing positive is that if you have two ships and set one as target the AI wingman's divide for attack both.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-10-2020 at 08:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

"It's CloD!"

AI strafe targets only over ground. I put two fuel trucks, one in sea (Dr.WHO'leg physics) and one in ground near.

AI attack the second (burning in background), ignore the first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

"It's CloD!"

AI strafe targets only over ground. I put two fuel trucks, one in sea (Dr.WHO'leg physics) and one in ground near.

AI attack the second (burning in background), ignore the first.
    If a player strafes the smaller ships with 20/30mm cannon they can eventually sink or damage them to the point they stop moving.

We will look at making code changes so certain types of AI aircraft will also strafe ships.

But we don't want AI aircraft which can't do any damage strafing ships and getting themselves killed by AAA for no reason... so its complicated.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Nov-10-2020 at 20:12.

11. Likes danperin, ATAG_Noofy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    We will look at making code changes so certain types of AI aircraft will also strafe ships.
    At least Beaufighter need an waypoint "Attack sea - area" and "Attack sea - target".

Well, I end using a "dirt tick" for force AI simulate attack (static) ships, for a campaign mission.

Better than nothing...
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-11-2020 at 00:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

If a player strafes the smaller ships with 20/30mm cannon they can eventually sink or damage them to the point they stop moving.

But we don't want AI aircraft which can't do any damage strafing ships and getting themselves killed by AAA for no reason... so its complicated.
    When skip bombing ships, during the low level approach towards the target, shooting machine guns/cannons should at least cause the ships AAA staff to duck and stop/reduce shooting back.

This does not seem to be the case as AAA are equally lethal regardless if we shoot at them or not...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    I always found it strange that it is possible to sink a (small) warship, but not one of the smaller freighters or tankers.
    The only thing I was able to destroy of the freighters is their AAA guns - the 30mm, the 20mm(?) seems more "bullet proof".

Apparently those ships have a "cloack" over the hull, see where cannons shells are exploding.

I put some (static) fuel truck over the ship - adjusting their vertical height; where AI are shooting, and so far they are not able to blow any.

Ahhhhh, a thing that could be done "in 2 minutes", take hours and hours of trial, for achieve a so so result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The large freighters should not be destroyable with these cannon. You can't expect to sink a 10,000 ton vessel with small caliber cannon.

The small coastal freighter can be destroyed as can the E-Boat/Vosper, the various other small boats and sometimes the Minensuchboote.

The only thing I was able to destroy of the freighters is their AAA guns - the 30mm, the 20mm(?) seems more "bullet proof".

Apparently those ships have a "cloack" over the hull, see where cannons shells are exploding.

I put some (static) fuel truck over the ship - adjusting their vertical height; where AI are shooting, and so far they are not able to blow any.

Ahhhhh, a thing that could be done "in 2 minutes", take hours and hours of trial, for achieve a so so result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

You can't expect to sink a 10,000 ton vessel with small caliber cannon.
    Is not the case, I am not trying sink the ship with cannon fire. Already have test what can be destroyed like said in OP.

The case is, since AI Beaufighter can't attack (strafe) ships - like their RL counterparts; only IC can bomb ships, like any other game bomber, I am trying simulate an attack, for create scenery for the mission, destroy that ship itself don't matter.

The mission goal should be achieved by player flight IC with bombs, targeting an specif ship.

These AI attacks is just "Hollywood" - in this case the fuel trucks was hit by player:

So if AI blow the fuel trucks over the ship make good effect... but seems that neither this they are capable, their shells explode above...

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    When skip bombing ships, during the low level approach towards the target, shooting machine guns/cannons should at least cause the ships AAA staff to duck and stop/reduce shooting back.

This does not seem to be the case as AAA are equally lethal regardless if we shoot at them or not...
    Naval Gunners don’t “duck” and the closer you get the more accurate they get. Look at the videos of ships firing on Kamakazi as an example, attackers flying directly at them firing and every AA gun keeps the barrage going all the way to impact.

IRL bombs and torpedoes are launched at much greater ranges than in game skip bombers, the correct tactic is for multiple attackers to approach from different directions simultaneously to divide the concentration of fire.

18. Likes 1lokos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

No. 242 Squadron gun cam of July, 1941 - at time operating Hurricane Mk.IIB attacking ships - at 1:06

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1060016180

Of course no one was "instant blow up" - and pilots aim seems very off, but these kind of attacks are part of war... "gameplay".

Manual Creation Group fenbeiduo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    282.61 MB

No. 242 Squadron gun cam of July, 1941 - at time operating Hurricane Mk.IIB attacking ships - at 1:06

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/i...ect/1060016180

Of course no one was "instant blow up" - and pilots aim seems very off, but these kind of attacks are part of war... "gameplay".
    I understand your idea

Pilot will do the strafe run regardless of the fire power capacity they have.

Sometimes they just attempt to kill some crews or put some damage to the ships.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

On mission 'Mirror' we managed to damage U-Boats with Beaufighter cannons.
    It takes a lot of hits on the tower but then they start to burn.

They need a lot of time to sink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    On mission 'Mirror' we managed to damage U-Boats with Beaufighter cannons.
    It takes a lot of hits on the tower but then they start to burn.

They need a lot of time to sink.
    Did you try sinking them with Hurricane IID?

40mm cannon should be more effective... also the Bf-110C-6 should be more effective.

23. Likes fenbeiduo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Did you try sinking them with Hurricane IID?

40mm cannon should be more effective... also the Bf-110C-6 should be more effective.
    Thanks for the advise!
    The Hurri will certainly be the next thing we give a try

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

As we did not know where exactly the Wolfpack was located the Beau seemed to give us more options (range, bombs etc) but now that we know where to search we can try the mighty Hurricane next time.

26. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post