Thread: Geforce movie recorder making me crazy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Geforce movie recorder making me crazy

Does anyone else use their Geforce overlay movie recorder? For me sometime it works and sometimes it doesn't Q up. Very frustrating I use to use fraps and that won't work anymore and don't say "who uses fraps anymore" lol I can't get OBS to work so the Geforce thing was all I could think of now it only works 20% of the time

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    100.64 MB

Re: Geforce movie recorder making me crazy

I use Shadowplay by Nvidia with no problems , is that what you are talking about?

3. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

I use it all the time, though it can be frustrating. After updating, it often stops working, or loses it's key bindings. I have to turn it off and back on a few times to get it working again. I also recently had a problem where it was recording the wrong screen. Even though I had may main monitor set as primary, it was still recording my secondary monitor. I had to go into the GeForce settings and tell it to change the primary to the other monitor, then back again, and it started working. Lastly, it wants to record audio on only 2 channels. I use a second sound adapter with my headset for Teamspeak, so Shadowplay only records the main speaker output, and the microphone, but refuses to record the Teamspeak audio, so conversations are one-sided. I was able to get around this limitation by using a 3rd-party audio plugin called Voicemeeter, but that introduced a lot of other problems, and I finally gave up using it.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

5. Likes IIJG27Rich liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Video recording software and CloD have always had a rough relationship. You can easily set it up well in OBS to bypass the problems though. Just tell OBS to record your main monitor as a whole, not just a certain game. This way -anything- on your main screen will be recorded for video, whether the game wants to be recorded or not. Of course this also means any notifications or popups will be recorded as well, so you are best to disable those.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Headshot View Post
    Video recording software and CloD have always had a rough relationship. You can easily set it up well in OBS to bypass the problems though. Just tell OBS to record your main monitor as a whole, not just a certain game. This way -anything- on your main screen will be recorded for video, whether the game wants to be recorded or not. Of course this also means any notifications or popups will be recorded as well, so you are best to disable those.
    I noticed that CLOD is video capture software unfriendly too. Probably the only thing I can whine about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Ok I got the it to work again with new drivers.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Well, one nice feature of Shadowplay is that you can record video after the fact. With Shadowplay running, after I get into a dogfight I can press a key and it will save the last 10 minutes of video. It's a nice feature.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kendy for the State View Post
    Well, one nice feature of Shadowplay is that you can record video after the fact. With Shadowplay running, after I get into a dogfight I can press a key and it will save the last 10 minutes of video. It's a nice feature.
    OBS has that feature too, it's called buffer recording.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    OBS has that feature too, it's called buffer recording.
    Thank you! I never knew about that with OBS, even though I’ve been recording with it since you first posted about it a year or two ago. I’ve learned the hard way to do a quick check of video and audio settings, especially if I’ve done any changes to my equipment and/or their Windows settings. I’ve had a few soundless recordings before I wised up! LOL

Setting the newly-discovered buffer was easy - just enable it, decide on how large a buffer you want (I chose 300 seconds/5 minutes to start), then just assign the hotkeys for start buffer, end buffer, and save/record buffer. I’ll play with it a bit to see if it puts any undue load on my PC, but this is a ton better than recording a LOT of boring ingress/egress footage and filling up a hard drive.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Thank you! I never knew about that with OBS, even though I’ve been recording with it since you first posted about it a year or two ago. I’ve learned the hard way to do a quick check of video and audio settings, especially if I’ve done any changes to my equipment and/or their Windows settings. I’ve had a few soundless recordings before I wised up! LOL

Setting the newly-discovered buffer was easy - just enable it, decide on how large a buffer you want (I chose 300 seconds/5 minutes to start), then just assign the hotkeys for start buffer, end buffer, and save/record buffer. I’ll play with it a bit to see if it puts any undue load on my PC, but this is a ton better than recording a LOT of boring ingress/egress footage and filling up a hard drive.

What I normally do is record a full sortie and cut out the interesting bits (takeoff, fighting, landing) right after using a tool called mkvtoolnix.
    Fairly easy to use: you throw your recording (.mp4, .mkv, ...) into it, enter the range you want to cut out via time stamps and repeat that for every part you want to cut out.
    The only thing to keep in mind is that the parts created by the tool are in .mkv format and not every video editor likes that. My video editor for example can load and process .mkv files but I get audio sync issues on a regular basis when working off of that. Fortunately there's an option in OBS under "File" that allows you to remux the parts from .mkv to .mp4 with a few clicks.

Btw I highly recommend recording in .mkv format when using OBS. The matroska container is much more robust than .mp4. Say for example OBS crashes during recording (only happened to me once or twice in like >5 years but there's always the possibility). If you recorded in .mp4 your video file is trashed and irrecoverable. The same recording in .mkv format however would still be useable.
    Last edited by Karaya; Nov-18-2020 at 09:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    What I normally do is record a full sortie and cut out the interesting bits (takeoff, fighting, landing) right after using a tool called mkvtoolnix.
    Fairly easy to use: you throw your recording (.mp4, .mkv, ...) into it, enter the range you want to cut out via time stamps and repeat that for every part you want to cut out.
    The only thing to keep in mind is that the parts created by the tool are in .mkv format and not every video editor likes that. My video editor for example can load and process .mkv files but I get audio sync issues on a regular basis when working off of that. Fortunately there's an option in OBS under "File" that allows you to remux the parts from .mkv to .mp4 with a few clicks.

Btw I highly recommend recording in .mkv format when using OBS. The matroska container is much more robust than .mp4. Say for example OBS crashes during recording (only happened to me once or twice in like >5 years but there's always the possibility). If you recorded in .mp4 your video file is trashed and irrecoverable. The same recording in .mkv format however would still be useable.
    Great info. I've tried .mkv in the past and had no problem converting it to .mp4 within OBS afterward. Since I never experienced any crashes with OBS I simply kept recording in .mp4 to eliminate that extra step, accepting the small risk that a software crash could bring. Incidentally, I used to use Shadowplay, but it records in variable bit rate to reduce processor load. The raw as-is video recorded looked great, but my video editor (an olde and ancient Adobe Premiere Pro CS6) couldn't handle VBR - I got terrible audio sync problems after rendering my final edits. Very frustrating!!! I used the free Handbrake utility to convert the VBR to Constant Bit Rate which worked well, but it was just another time-consuming process. Plus, I figure every time you render/convert a video clip you're gonna lose quality somewhere in the process.

Newer versions of Premiere Pro CC apparently handle VBR with no problem. I used to have a subscription with Adobe for CC, but ran into two problems: 1) expense, and 2) just when I would learn a certain editing process, some Adobe bright light would insert a "better way" with their weekly automatic update. I just didn't have time or the patience to constantly "relearn" the new shortcuts/techniques. It actually required a short online session with a bemused Adobe service tech to cancel and override my CC version of PP and reactivate my licensed copy of CS6 version again. Not a proud moment in my life.... LOL

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

14. Likes ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Would love to see a video showing how to set this up? Got to say as much as I love the simplicity of shadowplay, the variable audio bit rate means that 90% of the time the audio is out of sync in Premiere. Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

16. Likes ATAG_Headshot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Would love to see a video showing how to set this up? Got to say as much as I love the simplicity of shadowplay, the variable audio bit rate means that 90% of the time the audio is out of sync in Premiere. Cheers, MP
    You can run the video through Handbrake. Handbrake is a free program that will solve that, but it adds extra time to your project and every rendering can lose quality. Whenever I've had to do that I've turned up the settings in handbrake as high as I can get them, and the output movie file actually has a larger file size than the original and the quality stays pretty good. You can then load that into your editing software, but OBS allows you to skip that all completely.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

It's working fine now..Just made this

19. Likes Stormrider, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

You can run the video through Handbrake. Handbrake is a free program that will solve that, but it adds extra time to your project and every rendering can lose quality. Whenever I've had to do that I've turned up the settings in handbrake as high as I can get them, and the output movie file actually has a larger file size than the original and the quality stays pretty good. You can then load that into your editing software, but OBS allows you to skip that all completely.
    Yep, but 80gb of files is a pain, so removing any extra steps would be better? So a how to with OBS would be useful
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Yep, but 80gb of files is a pain, so removing any extra steps would be better? So a how to with OBS would be useful
    Just put "OBS settings" or something into YouTube. YouTube has a huge archive of videos about how to use it and how to best set it up already. I've gone through a bunch over the years to tweak my setup and recording/streaming settings, and every once in a while it's good to look at newer ones too, especially as you get hardware upgrades as you may be able to boost your recording settings without much of a performance hit. Many streamers use it so there is a lot of information about it available.