1.04 GB

Fire!

O MIA fuel fire of original CLoD, in an improved version:

2. Likes Mysticpuma, von Graf, farley, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Re: Fire!

Cannot help but think that this fire effect is way too bright, at least for a warbird. Maybe, as everything in DCS really, it is catering more to the jet crowd.

I've witnessed an aircraft (single engine turbo-prop) burn out first hand, fire starting from a ruptured fuel line. Was a dark orange/red flame with lots of thick black smoke and grime. Nothing like this blinding yellowish flame.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Exactly your points are being discussed on their Discord, Karaya.
    There is black smoke for engine fires and grey smoke for fuel fires. They get mixed too which people find weird too.

Another point was how and how fast the particles dissipated at the end of the trail. Someone called them Tim Burton smoke (kind of too plastic?).

This damage model was as a matter of fact intended for the WW2 birds. I don’t even know if the modern planes will get the same treatment.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    I've witnessed an aircraft (single engine turbo-prop) burn out first hand, fire starting from a ruptured fuel line. Was a dark orange/red flame with lots of thick black smoke and grime. Nothing like this blinding yellowish flame.
    You cannot compare. Turbo prop planes run on Jet A-1 fuel (i.e. Diesel). WWII planes use gasoline.
    These do not burn at the same temperature.
    Also don't forget the oxidizer effect of the air when the plane burns while flying.
    This being said, yes this looks a bit too bright...
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

The feedback there has been acknowledged by Nineline and will be passed on to the dev team.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

7. Likes ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Fire effect aside (I think the smoke is a bit too grey and not dark enough) the new DM looks great. Lots of other streaming effects can be seen as well as just a better DM overall, you can see the gear dropping on one of the 109s at one point.

Only thing I saw is that planes are burning and still fighting, maybe there's no good indication that you're on fire, or that your pilot is getting hurt? I don't think DCS has the "red screen" wounded effect.

I do like the fact that you can get hydraulic leaks, I don't think I've seen a sim with that before.

9. Likes 5th Hellrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    Only thing I saw is that planes are burning and still fighting, maybe there's no good indication that you're on fire, or that your pilot is getting hurt?
    I see an complain in DCS forum that pilot (player) are dying fast (some seconds) in case of plane fire, the guy ask for last longer.... probable he want play as James Brindley Nicolson ('B of B' Victory Cross).

DCS smoke are a bit exaggerated, smoke behind planes looks more the smoke of an steam locomotive chimney than smoke of fuel fire - is more like in Bo'x/WT, what in some way BLITZ* try imitate.

See at 1:10, the Bf 109 looks like dragging a big black "snake", and fire are lasting much longer, WW2 fighters planes are not a Australian fuel truck train.

https://youtu.be/9KFIUJhh7ls?t=66
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/798656350

* CloD original fire effects are very of what you see in this late war gun cam, just needing a bit tuning in colors:

https://youtu.be/0BeiNHKAa5o

IMO - For CFS dogfight fire and and smoke if apply the "more is bitter" result visually weird, leave this rule for Hollywood.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-11-2020 at 17:13.

11. Likes 9./JG52_J-HAT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I love what theyre doing but it needs a lot of tweaking, the smoke seems to stay at a fixed size for 90 percent of its life then very quickly expand and disperse right at the end of its life... they just need to change the size curves and it would look a lot better. The fire seems to hang really slowly behind the aircraft as well which looks a little odd.

It also seems that its always the same fire effect every time, same colour, same size, same smoke. They really should be varying it at this stage.

On the whole though its an excellent addition to DCS, something it has sorely needed for a long time, so bravo to them
    "So, the Sun is now a terrorist?"

13. Likes Karaya, No.119_Bruv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Everything I've seen so far is a vast improvement on what it was so credit to them. A few tweaks here and there and wow.