Thread: Once again: identification

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    324.93 MB

Cool Once again: identification

Hi folks,
    maybe a lot of you is younger than me and has younger eyes...
    Though I read all beginner guides of identification of friend and foe, in practice it is this way:
    1. I see a black dot - I come closer, the dot changes to a plane.
    2. I zoom in and my face is creeping inside the screen - with panic in my eyes I take a look on my identification-chart.
    3. The other plane opnes fire, I see tracers - now I'm shure it's an enemy.
    4. I got hit and die

A (very) few times I get closer and the other player doesn't see me. I have a look on the plane, it's a beauty = Spitfire = friend.
    Or: Ugly = 109 = pull the trigger! - don't take me too seriously, please.

Before anybody gives me this wink: Yes, I made an appointement with my optician for new glasses.
    But also I'm thinking of buying a new monitor. Now I have an old 27' screen with 1920x1080 resolution. But I also read, that higher resolution doesn't mean easier identification.
    What else could I do?

2. Likes ATAG_Marlow, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    812.8 KB

Re: Once again: identification

Actually I found it easier with an higher resolution, but basically it's all about aircraft details:
    wing's shape, radiators position, canopy and tail... You have to know them without use a identification-chart...

4. Likes Redhead69 liked this post
    varrattu

Hello all,

1920x1080 resolution and more is okay. Very important: the display should be properly calibrated for contrast accuracy and brightness. Depending on which display you are playing, having it properly calibrated allows you to have the most possible visual range on screen.

The following are the basic steps when performing a calibration with view to iL2CoD/iL2DWT.

Contrast as the difference between colors is very important. When you have contrast you can distinguish the whitest white and the darkest blacks in the sky.

White Point is a reference for daylight in color. Set the White Point to 6500K which is the color temperature of daylight.

Gamma refers to the tone curves. Gamma correction uses a mathematical formula that adjusts the levels of dark and light in relation to the contrast in an image. It can bring out the darker colors which can also increase saturation. Set the Gamma to Windows or TV Standard 2.2.

Check the color space that your display refers to. I use the sRGB color scheme on my display, it refers best to iL2CoD color.

~V~

6. Likes Redhead69 liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    324.93 MB

You have to know them without use a identification-chart...
    Yes, it allready works on the channel map, but I still have to get familiar with the new planes of Desert Wings.

Very important: the display should be properly calibrated for contrast accuracy and brightness
    Thanks resp. Dankeschön Varratu - I'll spend the nest hour doing this!.

varrattu

Kunden, die diesen Thread angesehen haben, haben auch angesehen:

Downsampling vs. Anti-Aliasing

~V~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    465.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by varrattu View Post
    Hello all,

White Point is a reference for daylight in color. Set the White Point to 6500K which is the color temperature of daylight.

Check the color space that your display refers to. I use the sRGB color scheme on my display, it refers best to iL2CoD color.

~V~
    Thanks for the information..., what do you use to measure White Point? In other words, how do you check the white point level?

thanks again.

I7 12700K @ 4.8Ghz|RTX 3080Ti|32GB DDR4|1TB NvMe l LG OLED 48”TV|1440P @120Hz|VKB STECS l VKB Gunfighter III/100mm extension l MFG V3 Pedals l Falcon Gear Quadrant l TIR 5 l Cloud X Headphone|Widows 11, C:\Program Files (x86)Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz|20Mbs dl, 2Mbs ul

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

In my opinion, high resolution (4K) greatly increases the range for airplane identification. It doesn't seem to improve initial (Dot) recognition distance, but doesn't hurt either. Most important is the combination of seating distance from the screen for the near vision glasses you are using. You should be able to see a single pixel... a white screen area should look like a grid... a "screen door" effect.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead69 View Post
    Hi folks,
    maybe a lot of you is younger than me and has younger eyes...
    Though I read all beginner guides of identification of friend and foe, in practice it is this way:
    1. I see a black dot - I come closer, the dot changes to a plane.
    2. I zoom in and my face is creeping inside the screen - with panic in my eyes I take a look on my identification-chart.
    3. The other plane opnes fire, I see tracers - now I'm shure it's an enemy.
    4. I got hit and die

A (very) few times I get closer and the other player doesn't see me. I have a look on the plane, it's a beauty = Spitfire = friend.
    Or: Ugly = 109 = pull the trigger! - don't take me too seriously, please.

Before anybody gives me this wink: Yes, I made an appointement with my optician for new glasses.
    But also I'm thinking of buying a new monitor. Now I have an old 27' screen with 1920x1080 resolution. But I also read, that higher resolution doesn't mean easier identification.
    What else could I do?
    I use a 55" monitor, but keep the resolution at 1920 x 1080. Resolution isn't any better than yours, but everything is bigger, including the gray dot that shows when an aircraft is inside your viewing area. I can see dots generally about 10 miles out. I occasionally switch to 4K resolution... the game is beautiful at this resolution, but I can't see enemy aircraft until they are about 2 miles away, which is generally too late. So, ultimately, resolution is not as important as size.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

varrattu

Manual calibration sometimes can be a little frustrating. An easier and more accurate method for doing this is to use a hardware-based calibration tool. I have the Spyder 3 by DataColor in use, which came in Express , Pro , and Elite versions. Meanwhile there have been several new monitor-calibrating devices developed.

~V~

Edit:
    how-to-calibrate-your-monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bill View Post
    Thanks for the information..., what do you use to measure White Point? In other words, how do you check the white point level?
    Last edited by varrattu; Nov-21-2020 at 12:04.