Thread: Skins conundrum

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

Skins conundrum

I am playing the Pik As campaign which uses skins named BF109E3_JG53_1940_#.jpg. Now, I don't have those skin files in either of my bf109e3 folders (i.e. in docs and in game folder), so I as player cannot select the specified skin for my aircraft.

The conundrum:

The AI is using a skin which is not default and is presumably not BF109E3_JG53_1940_#.jpg as specified in .mis, because I don't have those files. I can't find the skin the AI is using, in my 109E3 folders.

What skin is the AI using. What am I missing??

Thanks

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Skins conundrum

This attached?

Are four skins, the difference in between is the kill marks in the tail.
    Perhaps the player change skin as campaign progress, based in their kill score.

Bf109-E3_JG53_1940.jpg.rar

Skin of player plane in campaign is problematic.
    Is not assumed the skin defined in mission (.mis) files, but the last skin selected in "plane" or "plane options" before start an mission.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-26-2020 at 12:01.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

Yes those look like the right skins, I will try them tomorrow.

I still don't understand though, how AI have a skin with yellow wingtips and rudder when that skin is not in the skins folder.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Probable was assume one of default skins - those are not in Skins folder but in SFS files, are several for JG53 and with one exception all suffer from "Hollywood syndrome" - have yellow nose, rudder (a latter B of B thing).

BTW - In mission one of Pik As player is nº 2 and is instructed to use this skin, white tail with no kill marks.

Skin1 BF109E3_JG53_1940_4.jpg
    Last edited by 1lokos; Nov-26-2020 at 16:18.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

Ah yes, more skins in sfs files makes sense!

If only we could unpack sfs and mod the files! I think there would be an explosion of modding.

Thank you 1lokos

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Marcost View Post
    If only we could unpack sfs and mod the files! I think there would be an explosion of modding.
    This was done in day 2 of CloD release - because at time SFS has no protection, but just result in "Frankestein's", like Hurricane with Bf 109 cannons, G.50 capable of 900 KMH... and some MP cheater, nothing productive until TS start.

By extracting this files I figure - with 0 code knowledge, how simple is fix things like several of commands names "shenanigans", like the Vertical x Horizontal convergence adjust, that took years to be fixed, or the "dreaded" Alt+F2... that took 8+ years to be fixed.

7. Likes danperin liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

It would be good to even just have limited access - no code but access to image folders and text files. They have done this in GB.

I would mod the landscape and menu background pictures. Also the i18N files to get rid of problems like voice message display Come_in_Over. They are just like that because the correct long name for display is not written in the reference file. If there is no reference, then just the 'code' reference shows. Access to the voice code would be better, there are lots of things to fix there.

In terms of 'easy' code fixes, the force feedback problems could quickly be sorted out, but it's probably not a priority because not many peolpe use FFB (I do!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Marcost View Post
    It would be good to even just have limited access - no code but access to image folders and text files. They have done this in GB.

I would mod the landscape and menu background pictures. Also the i18N files to get rid of problems like voice message display Come_in_Over. They are just like that because the correct long name for display is not written in the reference file. If there is no reference, then just the 'code' reference shows. Access to the voice code would be better, there are lots of things to fix there.

Yes, i18 folder accessible like in Il-2:46 4.10+ what allow user do translations of GUI and messages for "non important" languages, simplify HUD messages the dread, useless "Wheel brakes:1%, 2%...99% if the first to be erased.

As well the index/messages corresponding to the Samples folder records, this will allow fix improve the voice acting.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

True!

Thanks for the skins , they work fine now - the squadron all has the new skin. The previous skin must have been default from sfs file as you said