Thread: CloD Blitz/Desert Wings won't start; original works

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

CloD Blitz/Desert Wings won't start; original works

I know there are various topics about this issue but mine seems to be slightly different. As with some others with the issue, my game also starts up, then stalls with a black screen and logo. I can actually alt-f4, which seems to separately close the logo -when moused the over logo has the spinny loading mouse cursor sometimes- and the game, and i even get the "do you want to exit" UI question on the black screen of CloD when I do that, with sky visible on top half of the game window for a split second as the game closes after i click yes to quit. I have so far tried these:

1. Uninstalling, deleting, renaming original and Blitz CloD files, in documents and steam folders (including cache folder), then verifying cache for blitz/desert wings
    2. Turning off and close various services, programs, USB drivers and devices - including but not limited to, logitech software, display management software, joysticks, MSI Afterburner
    3. Trying to install/uninstall .NET frameworks of various version as much as windows let me. (Windows 10, so didnt have much success there as it says I have a newer version already part of the OS)
    4. Disabling audio devices, trying on another screen, with different desktop resolutions (EDIT- also tried lower refresh rate as my main screen is a super ultrawide)
    5. Setting Blitz main and documents folders as safe from windows defender
    6. Running the Launcher64 as admin, with various compatibility settings
    7. Reinstalling the game on various drives, including the primary OS drive, verifying cache
    8. Removing steam cloud data, turning off steam cloud
    9. Turning off Tobruk DLC.
    10. Trying different resolution and display settings via .ini
    11. Disabling Steam, AMD overlays
    12. Setting windows Documents folder to default location

Probably a few more I can't recall. None of these had any effect on the way the game failed to launch.

Here's my specs:

Windows 10, 3900X, AMD Vega 64, 32GB RAM. Stock settings.

I've reinstalled the original CloD (With TF updates) after these steps and it doesn't seem to have been adversely affected by any of these steps, and launches to UI without issue.

The only clue I've been able to get was by turning on logging and here's what I got:

[13:48:51] INI: HotKey 'Joystick2+Key0' is unknown
    [13:48:51] INI: HotKey 'Joystick+Key0' is unknown
    [13:49:02]
    [13:49:02] =================================================
    [13:49:02] Main begin:
    [13:49:02] System.OverflowException: The image data generated an overflow during processing. ---> System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation.
    [13:49:02] --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    [13:49:02] at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.ColorConvertedBitmap. FinalizeCreation()
    [13:49:02] at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeC reation()
    [13:49:02] at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.EndInit()
    [13:49:02] at $8Q6ow0hjytyFq4E9NKpZFIU$Xn3z9upjLKx9RA3hDBd..ctor ()
    [13:49:02] at jidsLLHmWDQDJi3bx8uX5oJuwCEPp5Yg5TsjiXmVU1vz.QHpsD n22hZvcXuqiKOKzeyg()
    [13:49:02] at jidsLLHmWDQDJi3bx8uX5oJuwCEPp5Yg5TsjiXmVU1vz.jZav_ 9zGKStpDwqwtI0ktP4(Boolean )
    [13:49:02] at AYB56PA7FbyE$$8MFI6r974O4H8hT6AeUdaoTWW4GX4D.dIpkx XebLtWgGXTdBc5GdyA()
    [13:49:02] at RIBv6rZ4rWCEDrD_jR11yJglo$kmWoA8pzekY30BkcFZ.ccgEw iqz06skldTjEnhRh8k(RIBv6rZ4rWCEDrD_jR11yJglo$kmWoA 8pzekY30BkcFZ , String[] , String , String )
    [13:49:02] =================================================

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to really make sense of this, but I think it may be about the game failing to load an image file, possibly for the UI? I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide.
    Last edited by Chamot; Nov-27-2020 at 06:56. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

Re: CloD Blitz/Desert Wings won't start; original works

3. Trying to install/uninstall .NET frameworks of various version as much as windows let me. (Windows 10, so didnt have much success there as it says I have a newer version already part of the OS)

Have you tried to install everything inside this path, mate? "\\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist"

3. Likes Chamot liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by danperin View Post
    Have you tried to install everything inside this path, mate? "\\Steam\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\_CommonRedist"
    Thanks for taking the time to help. I have tried that, and actually redid it again after reading your post just in case. I have also tried installing .NET 5.0, and installing an "all in one" pack for C++ redistributables. Nothing helped or even changed the error reported in the log.

Edit- I should tell you I tried running them as admin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

You are welcome, mate

People with similar problems were trying different refresh rates on Nvidia panel. It seems refresh rates greater than 60hz were having problems with the game.

6. Likes Chamot liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by danperin View Post
    You are welcome, mate

People with similar problems were trying different refresh rates on Nvidia panel. It seems refresh rates greater than 60hz were having problems with the game.
    I had tried that and it didn't help either, but I've tried a few more things, and for some reason this time the game fired up! Among what I tried was removing custom colour management profiles from my displays and uninstalling an older printer driver - I had removed it as a device as I'd seen it mentioned in the list of possible issues, but apparently there was leftover software that i spotted while going through stuff in my programs list to look for possible culprits. It might be one of those or something else, as it's difficult to keep track of everything I've tried to get it working.

Thanks again, if I do pinpoint the issue I'll post again.