Thread: Dedicated Server: Mission fails to load because the temporary DLL cannot be created

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Dedicated Server: Mission fails to load because the temporary DLL cannot be created

On missLoad the server console (suddenly) reports:

Code:
    System.Exception: (0,0): error CS0016: Could not write to output file 'c:\Users\...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\cache\12173315498102512690.dll' -- 'The directory name is invalid. '
    This is totally misleading: The invalid directory name is not in the path the DLL is to be created in, but a part of the temporary-file path set in the TEMP or TMP environment variable (e.g. the “2” in “TMP=C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\2”).

You can check the current values of TEMP and TMP by using the set command in a command line window. “Current” is highlighted, because “current” may well differ from “settings” (e.g. in My Account, environment).

The underlying cause for this problem is that you access the server remotely (e.g. with RDP). Then an obscure windows group policy template setting hits: “Use separate temporary folders for each session”.

Read https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldne...25-00/?p=11673 and follow the link within for an explanation on how to change that policy.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Re: Dedicated Server: Mission fails to load because the temporary DLL cannot be creat

Interesting.
    'suddenly' - is that after a windows update?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Re: Dedicated Server: Mission fails to load because the temporary DLL cannot be creat

No, suddenly is suddenly (anytime). As the linked text explains, the 'meaning' of TEMP and TMP (may) change with every RDP login. And the idiocy is that it can assume a path that does not even exist.

Working on a CloD side fix for this ...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Ok, thanks for that.

I do remember seeing this, but from like ages ago... and only on Windows Server versions.

Currently, DangerDogz are running CloD Server on a Windows 10 Client, indeed controlled via RDP session.
    (Even got two users logged onto it, to have two dedicated server processes running)

Have not seen this issue popup on the Windows 10 client.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DD_FT View Post
    Ok, thanks for that.

I do remember seeing this, but from like ages ago... and only on Windows Server versions.

Currently, DangerDogz are running CloD Server on a Windows 10 Client, indeed controlled via RDP session.
    (Even got two users logged onto it, to have two dedicated server processes running)

Have not seen this issue popup on the Windows 10 client.
    Yes, it only happens on dedicated servers on Windows Servers you RDP into. And I think it only happens if you RDP (and run CloD) as "normal user" or "power user"

Those two users you mentioned, are they "normal users", "power users", or Administrators? Which one runs the steam client?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Artist View Post
    Yes, it only happens on dedicated servers on Windows Servers you RDP into. And I think it only happens if you RDP (and run CloD) as "normal user" or "power user"

Those two users you mentioned, are they "normal users", "power users", or Administrators? Which one runs the steam client?
    They are both Administrators.
    And whichever logs on first and starts Steam client will be running it: Can't seem to find a way to have them both have a Steam Client up.
    (And that might be the reason using the Watchdog will work for one, but not for both accounts)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

No, steam can run only once on any machine, regardless which and how many users.

The problem this thread is about seems to occur only when clod-running user is a normal (or power) user, when running as administrator it does not (at least I could not reproduce it).

I'd prefer running Clod as normal user, administrator reserved for really administrating windows server only ... in a perfect world. But I think this is the only problem left to fix for this, otherwise Clod server runs without problems under normal user.

Would be interesting if it would work if the administrator runs steam and the two normal users then run two Clod servers. But this would also need (to be perfect) that all three auto-login on startup, which sems to be possible (my incomplete researches hinted at that).

But the watchdog then could not check/start steam anymore, which raises more problems. A separate 'steam watchdog' for the administrator account? There's a function in the watchdog to restart steam every x mission launch, which then would be impossible. Is that still needed at all?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.05 MB

Your theory on three users: One admin running steam, others running the game is a good one.

Now as stated, the DD server runs on Windows 10... nót Windows Server 20xx ...

Our current setup is that one admin-user runs the Watchdog and thus Steam. The other admin-user does not, and simply uses a power shell script to check whether Clod DServer is running, and if not, it will start it.
    Now this just appears to work out.

In my earlier attempts:
    1. Running Watchdog and Steam on both accounts failed. Watchdog and/or Steam cannot not handle that.
    2. Running the powershell scripts with both accounts works, but it lacks Watchdog's magnificent power to handle the 'Connection to Steam lost'. 'Logged out of Steam. Exiting' (?) errors occuring. So the DServer will be unavailable to clients until it gets restarted, manually.

So, one running Watchdog and the other running Power shell script appears to work, looks like the Watchdog-Steam-client-fix works for both accounts.

Then again, I dunno, really

9. Likes Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

Fixed with a workaround in patch 5.014: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=34589

11. Likes DD_FT liked this post