Thread: New old newbie

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

New old newbie

Hello all

Just joined, old fart but been playing flight sims since the Amstrad 128. Been playing single player to get the feel of things without a lot of success so far but I will persevere, I must say this is a whole new ball game. Reluctant to go into multiplayer until I have had more experience, wouldn't have been much good in BOB would I?

Can anyone point me to newcomers advice and advice on loading and installing mods I would like to work through a historic campaign if possible.

80 years old but still have some marbles, father was Nav' in Lancaster, me member of 1(B0 Squadron Association, fathers squadron.

My regards to all

Malcolm Grant

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Re: New old newbie

Good to see you with us!

You don't need any mods. The game is constantly updated by Steam and always running the current version.
    For information about airplanes and game please check under 'Options' > 'Manuals'.

While the historical campaigns are truly well made and interesting, multiplayer is where Cliff is at its best and so is the community.
    If you download Teamspeak (free) and join the servers, I can guarantee that you will get more advise than you ever wanted

Joking aside: this is a game mainly played by grown ups. No need to be shy on coms, and it will help to flatten the rather steep learning curve.

See you in the skies!

S!

DerDa

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Welcome to the ATAG forum Malcolm and thank u for your service to your country

Here is a link to some guides u may find useful https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=30894

The "Flashcards" found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\manuals
    are your friend and will give the operating parameters of all flyable aircraft.

As DerDa has said, don't be shy about jumping on to TeamSpeak and joining in the conversation and ask all the questions u want. The only silly question is the one u don't ask.
    Multiplayer might look daunting but it's the best way to learn combat and navigation when u wing up with others. Be prepared to be pasted often and quickly but it's the right of passage we all have to go thru.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

4. Likes farley, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

DerDa and ATAG_Torian

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your prompt and reassuring replies, they are very much appreciated.

I have little doubt now having received such a warm welcome that I will join multiplayer, despite my fear of letting people down and of course the usual English fear of ending up looking like a complete wazuck

Once again, thank you both

Malcolmg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Welcome Malcolm, from me, another Malcolm from the UK.

Good to have you on board sir

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post
    ... ending up looking like a complete wazuck
    That describes me on every flight so, don't worry about that

Welcome to the community!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.33 MB

Welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.39 MB

Welcome my good man!

Hope to "wing up" with You soon!

Intel 6Core i7 coffee lake 8700k delidded@4.8ghz1,225v. is-60cpu cooler. msiz370 gaming pro carbon ac itx hk.Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti 11gb palit w. custom cooling.
    16gb 3200mhz lpx ram. Corsair sfx 600w gold psu. Samsung 960 evo 512gb m2 nvme+250gb ssd. Samsung c32f391. Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog+VKB T-Rudder Pedals

Supporting Member 9./JG52_J-HAT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    266.37 MB

Welcome!

If you are interested in a historical campaign, check this out:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...omment-1033176

It‘s online but the only difference to offline is that there are other people and set dates and time for the missions.
    Happens every Wednesday 2000 GMT.
    i7 13700KF @5.3 Ghz | RTX 4090 526.86 1440p | 32 Gb RAM 6000 | Win10 64 bit | TrackIR 5 | VKB Gunfighter III | MFG Crosswind V2 | Warthog Throttle | Reverb G2 100% SteamVR SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hi Malcolm.......sorry I have been a bit tardy writing to you but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your first post. I admire anybody who has the guts to take on learning a complicated flight sim like CLoD! I started flying in 2015 and I am still very much learning. There are so many layers to peel through...always something new to get your teeth into but I think that's what fascinates us old farts. (I'm 64!)

I flew single player for the first year trying to get the hang of things. I very much enjoyed the single player RAF campaign...flying Hurricanes and later Spitfires...but I got a little tired of shooting at AI. So I ventured onto multiplayer, all the time thinking I was entering the 'Black Hole of Calcutta!' First sortie out of Lympne I ended up dangling from a parachute over Dover harbour! But I loved it.....and was hooked!

If you would like to 'wing up' for a quick flight through South Eastern England...to see the sights.....recognise the 'way points' and simply chat about all things CLoD...I'm your man! I am retired and living in Bucks, so we could easily sort a rendesvous time and fly in a 'quiet' part of the map until you feel a little more at home! You will learn masses in hopefully a very short time. And if we both get shot down...at least we'll die laughing!!!!!Just post here if I can help!

Hats off to your Dad! Anybody who flew Lancs during the last war stands ten feet tall in everybody's eyes on this Forum. I'm sure we would all love to hear more about his story.

Have fun! Don't forget to post for help and let us know how you get on. Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

A big hearty welcome here Malcolmg!! I hope you will join us on TeamSpeak some evening soon.
    Much mirth and merriment to be had (along with the inevitable expletives....)
    Just set your microphone up with a push to talk and close the gaming room door.
    If you can wing up with those of us in the Bloated Blennie Brigade some evening nothing will escape the door except maniacal laughter and
    only the worst of the cursing......so as not to disturb Mrs. Malcolm.....

We're really a good bunch here though and laughter and a merry heart doeth good like a medicine.....

See you up there
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

Gentlemen, Laser, Colander, Argonauta, Jeepy,, 9/JG52_J-HAT, Marlow and Snarglepuss,

Apologies for slow reply, however thank you all for your kind and supportive words and apologies if I have misspelt anybodies name.

I must confess to being somewhat overwhelmed at the offers of help, support and encouragement I have received. I am still learning having only installed the software approx three weeks ago.

Marlow, I very much appreciate your offer, sounds like a good start to lose my apprehension and quell the panic at the thought of letting the side down in multiplayer.

Give me a couple of weeks to continue on the steep curve of taking off in a Spit without 'nosing' it! and I will be back to you if that is OK?

My dad? I could give a little potted history if you and others so wish.

best regards to all and stay safe

Malcolm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Excellent, Malcolm! Do not feel you are alone feeling a little overwhelmed.' This sim is a tough nut to crack!

We all remember starting....and none of us have yet finished! Ha ha! It's a long and steep learning curve! Keep at it and do let us know how you are getting on.
    Snargle is absolutely right...we are all a strange sort of happy, family of boy/men who never quite grew up but we do like to laugh and fly together and its that camarderie that is perhaps the biggest bonus of Cliff of Dover. It certainly helped get me through lockdown!

Yes, we would love a potted history of your Dad's career...when you have time! Happy landings......Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Hi Malcolm

Welcome aboard sir . Great to see another new guy joining in and be assured you are most welcome .

As already mentioned by my ATAG brothers and other sim enthusiast's you will not spoil any body's day by jumping online and asking for help , the complete opposite in fact .

We've all been there at some point and still make basic errors ( my radiator control lever has always been a bit sticky ) . So it would be great to see / meet you and help you become a more accomplished flyer .

Good Luck

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

Welcome malcolm,
    I still have an amstrad64 in a bedroom cupboard upstairs. along with apache64 or something like that. Along with 2 Archimedes. Fascinated my kids showing them how we would wait 10minutes for a game to load. My wife and her family hail from leicestershire, met her when posted to Cottesmore and tornados in 80s. Like every other base I served on now closed (my magical effect) but thats probably in Rutland anywat. Never feel you can "let the side down" in multiplayer, we are all probably on the certified lunatics list anyway. And its not compulsory to tell any one when it ineviteably all goes belly up, I bin getting away with it for 20yers anyway