Thread: Hurricane I Vs Hurricane II performance

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

Hurricane I Vs Hurricane II performance

The Hurricane IIa released in Tobruk DW in my opinion seems to have a poorer performance then the Hurricane I 100 oct. The IIa runs hotter and seems slower or at least has no noticeable improvement in speed over the Hurri I 100 oct.
    Is this performance as expected?
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Re: Hurricane I Vs Hurricane II performance

At +14lbs boost the Hurricane Mk.II was not much faster (if at all) than a Hurricane Mk.I at +12 lbs boost at sea level. It was only at altitudes above ~17,000 ft that the Hurricane Mk.II overtook the Mk.I speed and climb wise.

Here's a graph showing topspeeds of the Mk.IIc at different boost levels:
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...hart-level.jpg
    The IIa/b were on average 9-10mph faster than the c at all altitudes at the same boost settings.

The last patch supposedly corrected top speeds at higher altitudes but I havent done any speed trials on the Hurricane myself lately because of the engine overheat. It's really bad right now, cant even run +12lbs boost without reaching coolant temperatures of 130°C and higher in a very short amount of time even at high speeds, which severely limits the way speed tests can be performed. Hoping that this week's patch will rectify this issue.

3. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.23 GB

"The IIa/b were on average 9-10mph faster than the c at all altitudes at the same boost settings"

Do you know if this difference in modeled in game?
    Don't let Grudges fester and poison your future happiness......get your revenge as quickly as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Right now I think the drag differences between models are not modelled correctly. In my tests in a previous patch I found all models to be the same speed wise on the deck, except for the Mk.IIa which was a handful of mph slower than the rest when it should actually be the fastest, with the IIb a close 2nd and the IIc noticeably slower than both.

These are my findings from a previous patch, tested over a month ago. Havent tested the Hurricane since. Things might have changed since then although I think only topspeeds at altitude have been touched so far.

These are the speeds I was able to attain at sea level

Hurricane Mk.IIa
    285-290mph (12lbs)
    Only 12lbs tested as there is no "late" model

Hurricane Mk.IIb late
    295mph (12lbs)
    300-305mph (14lbs)

Hurricane Mk.IIc late
    295mph (12lbs)
    300-305mph (14lbs)

What did surprise me is that the IIa seems to be slower at +12 lbs boost than the IIb and IIc. Also the IIb and IIc are exactly the same in terms of speed.
    As there's only limited test flight data publicly available I also tried guestimating the real life topspeeds of the IIa/b and IIc at +9, +12 and +14 lbs boost.
    Hurricane Mk.IIa/b all out level speed (at +9 lbs boost, blue line)

This is also supported by the type sheet for the Hurricane Mk.IIa which lists the same top speeds for MS and FS gears.
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.o...ne_IIA_ADS.jpg

Hurricane Mk.IIc all out level speeds for +9, +12 and +16 lbs boost

Topspeed at sea level for +14 lbs can be extrapolated from this data and should be 380 mph for the Mk.IIc model. The Mk.IIa/b is ~9 mph faster at sea level than the c when using +9 lbs boost. A similar speed difference is to be expected when using +14 lbs, so topspeed for the Mk.IIa/b at +14 lbs boost should be ~289 mph.

So summarizing this:
    Altitude: 0m
    Boost: +9 lbs

Hurricane Mk.IIa/b: 269 mph (documented)
    Hurricane Mk.IIc: 260 mph (documented)

Boost: +12 lbs

Hurricane Mk.IIa/b: 281 mph (extrapolated)
    Hurricane Mk.IIc: 272 mph (documented)

Boost: +14 lbs

Hurricane Mk.IIa/b: 289 mph (extrapolated)
    Hurricane Mk.IIc: 280 mph (extrapolated)
    Last edited by Karaya; Dec-09-2020 at 08:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Main problem with Hurricane for me is that you cannot use the full power for very long without blowing your engine. I tried playing with the engine thermal effects off and while still not very fast it becomes much better dogfighter since you don't lose energy so fast in turns when your engine is at full power all the time.
    And though it becomes better doesn't mean it's good. You can create a nice light show with the 12 machine guns but that will not help you if all the 109s just outclimb and outrun you.