Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Wimpey - Desert Wings Tobruk Wellington Bomber Tutorial

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Desert Wimpey - Desert Wings Tobruk Wellington Bomber Tutorial

Join us as during a 'Learn to Fly' Livestream tutorial of the IL-2 Sturmovik Desert Wings Tobruk, Vickers Wellington Mk.1 and variants.

Snapper edit: Hi everyone, regretfully due to unexpected circumstances today’s scheduled livestream is being moved to Sunday, Dec 27, 20:00 GMT. Sorry for any inconvenience. Stay safe and wishing everyone the best of the holiday season!

Saturday 19th December, 2000 GMT.

TFS #3 Server

We will be running players through TFS Vickers Wellington Mk.1 8-page Flashcard document, including with the game.

Giving players a tutorial of the Pilotage, navigation, gunnery and bombing/torpedo bombing techniques necessary to complete your mission successfully.

The Desert Wings Tobruk Wellington features one of the most visually stunning cockpits in WW2 flight simulation currently available to players.

TFS's Pattle will be joined be fellow Aussie ATAG Ezzie during the Livestream.

We hope to see many players jump in a Wellington and follow us as we teach even the most ardent fighter and bomber pilots, the sheer joy that is the Wimpey!
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Dec-19-2020 at 17:46. Reason: Changed date to Sun Dec 27

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Re: Desert Wimpey - Desert Wings Tobruk Wellington Bomber Tutorial

Oh, great! Even though I feel quite comfortable with this beauty I will try to join to learn the black art of level bombing. Good addition for our low level strike squadron, isn’t it DerDa?

3. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

That's why Ezzie is joining the commentary team - he knows bombing!

5. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Great stuff Pat.

As one who has failed miserably in learning the complex art of fighter tactics , I have been taking a look at flying this fine bird lately, with mixed results I have to say.

Unfortunately I won't be able to join in on the 19th, either flying or watching the livestream, but I hope the event is a success and that you can encourage more in the community to try out bombers.

By the way, you are right about that cockpit, it really is stunning

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

The 1c late is the easiest bomber in game to level bomb at medium altitude from. Point and shoot almost.

Other than turning the sight on, selecting bomb mode and adding the tgt's altitude there's not much else to do once you are lined up on tgt. thats the hard bit though and key to success i reckon.

The nose gunner is the key to altitude bombing but once you know how to use it for this purpose and can do map-to-ground ok and plan your route accordingly its pretty straightfwd. Provided you have lots of tracer in at least one nose gun.

I guess we'll go thru this in detail during the live stream.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Well, you just made it sound like a walk in the park Ezzie... Not.

9. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

It looks as if I will have to assign quite a few keyboard buttons until Saturday ...

11. Likes Kayo, ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

It will be the Flashcard Gang getting back together DerDa.

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Really looking forward to this one. Been flying the Wellington over the past couple of weeks and having a fine old time of it. Will be great to get some detailed pointers on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I’m really looking forward to Saturday’s tutorial. Already some good tips in this thread.

Some of you may have seen me flying a Welly online but off-comms. Not being anti-social, but I get distracted very easily! LOL Nothing worse than finally lining up your target, then discovering too late you forgot to open your bomb bay doors, or set your bomb string to “salvo”, etc

I resurrected my old Cougar flightstick (the throttle got bricked years ago during a flash update), and assigned a bunch of bombing-related functions, only to find myself punching, prodding, pushing the wrong damn buttons at the wrong bloody time. Almost mercifully the Y-axis gimbal snapped in two (Cougar flightsticks were notorious for their cheap potmetal innards), forcing me to go back to my simpler TM16000 stick and keyboard commands. Hey, the things we do, eh?

But - loving every minute of it!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    The 1c late is the easiest bomber in game to level bomb at medium altitude from. Point and shoot almost.

Other than turning the sight on, selecting bomb mode and adding the tgt's altitude there's not much else to do once you are lined up on tgt. thats the hard bit though and key to success i reckon.

The nose gunner is the key to altitude bombing but once you know how to use it for this purpose and can do map-to-ground ok and plan your route accordingly its pretty straightfwd. Provided you have lots of tracer in at least one nose gun.

I guess we'll go thru this in detail during the live stream.

Ezzie
    Marlow went through the 1c late bomb sight with me. Had a go at using it to bomb the ships in the somme estuary on the circus map last night but couldn't hit anything. The problem I had was lining the plane up so that once you switch to the bomb aimers position a ship appears in the cross hairs. The field of view from the bomb aimers position is very limited to adjust until it is too late. In the end I gave up trying to get a ship in the cross hairs and just came in low and released my bombs from the pilots position as normal.. and I still missed

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Another tip I can give, which I have found out the hard way is that trying to climb in a fully laden Wellington after take off, as you would in a fighter, is never going to end well

18. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Marlow went through the 1c late bomb sight with me. Had a go at using it to bomb the ships in the somme estuary on the circus map last night but couldn't hit anything. The problem I had was lining the plane up so that once you switch to the bomb aimers position a ship appears in the cross hairs. The field of view from the bomb aimers position is very limited to adjust until it is too late. In the end I gave up trying to get a ship in the cross hairs and just came in low and released my bombs from the pilots position as normal.. and I still missed
    Well ships are pretty ambitious!
    I'd be glad if I could learn how to hit an airfield from a height that gives me at least some chance to return home.

20. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Hi all
    Really looking forward to this as had my first few sorties in a Welli last weekend with Bubbadeluxe and ATAG_Marlow.

Big shout to Bubba for talking me through the bombsight set up as i was just glad to make two successful take offs and landings.
    He has spent quite a while working out what to do.

We had a lot of fun on our own and the Welli model is a joy to fly and credit to the TFS development team.
    The Spit V, Kitty and Welli are fast becoming my favourites.

The Welli is a great plane and the thought of a mass player bomber raid is exciting.

NB I can confirm it is possible to do a loop in a Welli and bail out is in two parts with "eject canopy/hatch" first then the normal default Ctrl E.

Can't wait for Saturday.
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Laser View Post
    Yes, once your target appears in the bombsight you only have time to make very slight adjustments to bring the crosshairs dead on. Per Ezzie’s post, I use the front gunner’s position to line up the target from afar. First, go into T22 Mode to allow hands off straight & level flight after setting your directional gyro setting to zero. Allow the Welly’s flight to stabilize, and move from the pilot’s position to the front gunner spot. Hit “move to gunsight” (I have a joystick key assigned to that), turn on your gunsight, then find your target in the distance through the gunsight. Be sure your turret is in neutral traverse position (ie pointing dead ahead, not to the left or right). I have the Numberpad 4 (move left) and NP 6 (move right) assigned to move the aircraft left or right.

Make left or right course adjustments to bring the gunsight pipper onto the distant target (you can zoom in to make precise course adjustments). You can move the gunsight up or down to keep target on the pipper, just don’t traverse the turret left or right doing so. Once you’re satisfied that the plane’s course is staying true to the target (as determined by the gunsight pipper), then move to the bombaimer’s position. Verify that your speed and altitude settings are still accurate (I usually quickly go back to the cockpit to verify IAS and altitude), then return to my bomb sight. Very soon (at ~180 mph IAS) your target will appear in the bombsight. Make any slight course adjustments to bring the crosshairs onto the target, and hit the bomb release.

Then curse out Snapper for not reminding you to open your bomb bay doors!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Dec-16-2020 at 08:46. Reason: spell czech errors

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Yes, once your target appears in the bombsight you only have time to make very slight adjustments to bring the crosshairs dead on. Per Ezzie’s post, I use the front gunner’s position to line up the target from afar. First, go into T22 Mode to allow hands off straight & level flight after setting your directional gyro setting to zero. Allow the Welly’s flight to stabilize, and move from the pilot’s position to the front gunner spot. Hit “move to gunsight” (I have a joystick key assigned to that), turn on your gunsight, then find your target in the distance through the gunsight. Be sure your turret is in neutral traverse position (ie pointing dead ahead, not to the left or right). I have the Numberpad 4 (move left) and NP 6 (move right) assigned to move the aircraft left or right.

Make left or right course adjustments to bring the gunsight pipper onto the distant target (you can zoom in to make precise course adjustments). You can move the gunsight up or down to keep target on the pipper, just don’t traverse the turret left or right doing so. Once you’re satisfied that the plane’s course is staying true to the target (as determined by the gunsight pipper), then move to the bombaimer’s position. Verify that your speed and altitude settings are still accurate (I usually quickly go pack to the cockpit to verify IAS and altitude), then return to my bomb sight. Very soon (at ~180 mph IAS) your target will appear in the bombsight. Make any slight course adjustments to bring the crosshairs onto the target, and hit the bomb release.

Then curse out Snapper for not reminding you to open your bomb bay doors!

Seems like I have a lot to learn about bombing correctly in the Wellington, or any other bomber come to that. It sounds like quite a complex process actually. I have never used the T22 mode before. It's a shame that I won't be around for the tutorial on Saturday. Hopefully I will be able to catch up with it all later.
    Well, at least I remember to open the bomb bay doors, like I always remember to open the rad in a Spit or Hurri

24. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    908.31 MB

I've updated my Bombsight Practice missions to include some Wellington missions. These show how close to the target you are.

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=193

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Oskar View Post
    I've updated my Bombsight Practice missions to include some Wellington missions. These show how close to the target you are.

SPLENDID!!! I look forward to giving this a go.

Thank you, Oskar!

27. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Thanks Oskar.

Great timing. Time to practice up, so When I do drop the bombs on a westerly desert target, they don't land in Le Havre Habour on the channel map

29. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Ezzie, DerDa liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Great, thanks Oskar will give this a go!
    Just what i needed.
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).

31. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Thanks Oskar. I will try this

33. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

I won’t make it today
    Have to watch on yt afterwards. Have fun!

35. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

HI all,

Due to real life job commitments around COVID, that have come in overnight my time, I have had to move the livestream until next Sunday.

Cheers,

Pattle

37. Likes ATAG_Snapper, DerDa, ATAG_Marlow, Meaks liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

No worries Pattle. Gives us some extra practise time. Stay safe and well.

39. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Slot, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

And anyone who checked out my impromptu practice livestream yesterday arv my time will know I need a bit

Hope the local residents in the target area weren't home!

41. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Thanks Pattle as watched your video and have Oscars practice mission to try out. I definitely need it.

Very informative as i now realise you have to remove the bombsight cover on late variant!

Had a couple of Wellington runs over to Coquelles with Blacknight, Marlow and Bubbadeluxe last Saturday and it was my first time in the later variant.
    I wondered how the heck I sighted the target and had not bound a key to remove the cover. Rookie error.

Blacknight has an amazing level of knowledge and experience (and patience) and all of us had a great time. Totally different experience to being a fighter jock.

The care and attention in TFS Wellington model is fantastic.

Look forward to next sortie.

43. Likes ATAG_Bubba, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Pattle....Would it be possible for some start up notes etc ahead of the tutorial and the 27th,just so we're all singing off the same hymn sheet as it were ?

I flown the Blenheim IV to death over the years,so have got the experience of twin engined 'CoD' bombers,but would like to get the start up for the Wimpy up to scratch before the big day,like Snapper and others,I have also used the T22 Mode to gain level flight in order to make my drops reasonably accurate,but again,it would be great to see some keyboard settings/notes before the tutorial,thanks.

EDIT
    I have downloaded Oscar's practice mission and will have a go at that for starters......as I certainly need a polish,in all areas.

Any further help or information in setting up the Wimpy would be very warmly appreciated.
    Last edited by Meaks; Dec-23-2020 at 16:28.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

45. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

JRB,

Just making sure you have read the Welly flashcard in case you havent checked it out yet?

Its based on the real life Welly manual - all the engine settings and cowl flap positions are as per the real manual. In practice you can fly the welly in game to higher settings with care.

Ezzie

47. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Meaks, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Ezzie View Post
    JRB,

Just making sure you have read the Welly flashcard in case you havent checked it out yet?

Its based on the real life Welly manual - all the engine settings and cowl flap positions are as per the real manual. In practice you can fly the welly in game to higher settings with care.

Ezzie
    Hi Ezzie,thanks for the heads up,I've just downloaded it.....life saver mate
    Last edited by Meaks; Dec-23-2020 at 17:17.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

49. Likes ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Thanks Ezzie.

Meaker, we will be going through the flashcard during the stream.

Oscars mission is great, it's not easy to be accurate, as anyone who watched me having a go on a short weekend livestream could see

51. Likes Meaks, ATAG_Ezzie, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast