Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Maintaining formation

  1. #1
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Question Maintaining formation

    Good day all

    and a happy Christmas to everyone. Many, many thanks to those members who have welcomed me to this forum especially those who I missed at the end of my newbie post..

    I am still in single player and am pleased to report that I have managed to learn enough control to get my Spit./ Hurri. (mainly Spit) off the ground without a nose dive, well most of the time. Landing somewhat more difficult although I am slowly mastering that.

    However, there always a however, although I am also beginning to learn the basics of engine management, quite fascinating I find, I hve awful trouble when in a mission maintaining formation with other aircraft. I seem to either overtake or get left behind whatever I do, in other words I cannot control my engine enough the match the speed of my AI wing or, squadron.

    I have assiduously studied the many fine treatises other members have posted but to no avail. Can any body steer me, no pun intended, in the right direction?

    regards to all and lets hope for a better 2021

    MalcolmG

  2. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
  3. #2
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,723
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    206.59 MB

    Wink Re: Maintaining formation

    Hi Malcolm,

    Welcome to the forum!

    I, too, find it tricky to stay in formation when flying offline with AI aircraft. The visual cues are subtle, meaning you have to react to changes in speed, climb, direction almost as if you can read the lead AI pilot’s mind!

    Conversely, flying with humans online in formation is much, much easier. The lead human pilot usually flies at reduced engine settings to allow those following to more readily stay in position. Also, through Teamspeak the lead pilot can communicate his engine settings to his wingmates, which is hugely helpful for all concerned.

    All to say, if you can stagger into the air in your chosen aircraft you are vastly qualified to fly online in the ATAG Allied vs Axis server (Blitz) and the TFS #3 server (Desert Wings Tobruk). Believe me, we are a friendly bunch - and we still nose over or groundloop at a regular rate!

    Let me know if you want to take the plunge. I’ll be glad to wing up with you, as will the other ATAG chaps. Just bring a keen sense of humour with you!

    Cheers!

    Snapper


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX980ti 6 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  4. #3
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Snapper

    thanks for the speedy reply I must confess that had not occurred to me, no reason why it should of course, but it explains a lot, as well as making sense. Has put my mind a bit more at rest.

    Thanks ever so for the offer I feel sure that would be a good way to get into multi. I have a similar offer from Marlow so after the hols I will be in touch, thanks again

    Just an aside I have relatives in Toronto My sister in law lived there for about 40 years and although she has returned to Blighty, weather!!, her youngest son still lives there.

    We visited many times and have fond memories of shopping in Eaton Centre on Yonge St, Egg Nog at Christmas, travelling to Niagara, Pioneer Village and so forth.


    regards

    Malcolm

  5. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  6. #4
    Admin ATAG_Snapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,723
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    206.59 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    No worries. If you can grab a cheap microphone to plug into a USB port, you’ll be all set to install Teamspeak 3 (it’s the right price - free ). I guarantee if you hook up with us lot you’ll be chuckling all through your online session. Marlow can show you what to do; I can show you what NOT to do!

    Toronto is about an hour’s drive from my home in Kitchener. With house prices the way they are, a lot of folks commute that distance these days. Someday I hope to hop across the pond to visit the BoB museums and locations. Another must-visit is the Flight Simulations Centre at Newcastle-on-Tyne for some in-cockpit sessions in their Spit and 109 mockups. These chaps are pioneering Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wing Tobruk for some virtually nail-biting dogfight action; would love to try it.

    Give us a shout when you’re back at your PC!

    Cheers,

    Snapper


    i7 4770K @3.5 GHZ, 24 Gigs DDR3 1600 DIMM, Gigabyte GTX980ti 6 Gig, Win 10 64 bit, TrackIR 5, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals

  7. Likes ATAG_TCP, ATAG_Knight, \Hawk/ liked this post
  8. #5
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post
    Snapper

    thanks for the speedy reply I must confess that had not occurred to me, no reason why it should of course, but it explains a lot, as well as making sense. Has put my mind a bit more at rest.

    Thanks ever so for the offer I feel sure that would be a good way to get into multi. I have a similar offer from Marlow so after the hols I will be in touch, thanks again

    Just an aside I have relatives in Toronto My sister in law lived there for about 40 years and although she has returned to Blighty, weather!!, her youngest son still lives there.

    We visited many times and have fond memories of shopping in Eaton Centre on Yonge St, Egg Nog at Christmas, travelling to Niagara, Pioneer Village and so forth.


    regards

    Malcolm
    Hi Malcolm....yes, I am still here and ready to 'wing up' when you are.

    However, I must reassure you that Snapper is just as qualifieda 'wingman' as I! Hmmn! I may have a bit of a struggle getting into the air due to the number of mince pies I've eaten lately! I mught have to take a Wellington (with a reduced bombload, of course!) but, who knows, we might all three be able to 'wing up' for a tour of Kent and

    Northern France, when the Christmas dust has settled?

    I promise we'll try and get you home again in one piece! Ha ha! Salute!

  9. #6
    Ace Bonditaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.44 GB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    1. Trim.

    2. Throttle.

    On the Hurricane and Spitfire you have controls for 'elevator trim' and for 'rudder trim'. If you do not have your aircraft 'trimmed' it is more difficult to fly in formation.

    Use the elevator trim so you don't have to either, push the nose down or pull the nose up with the joystick, to keep the aircraft attitude as you want it . *Attitude being how much the nose is pointing up or down.

    You have to use the rudder trim so your aircraft doesn't constantly fly a bit sideways, called skidding, which it will do naturally if you don't get it under control. In the cockpit instruments is a ball or arrow (Hurricane) which indicates if the aircraft is flying straight forward; 'center the ball' with the rudder trim to make the aircraft fly straight forward without requiring constant input from the rudder pedals.

    You can easily find more coherent explanations not written by me elsewhere explaining the importance of trim. Do not ignore the cockpit familiarization charts provided for you under the extras/manuals in the game menus, to find basic instruments. Trim controls may need to be applied in the controls options menu. Bear in mind that trims need adjustment as you change attitude (climb, level, dive) and speed.

    If you can adjust the trim so you are flying comfortably, you will not need constant input in the control stick and rudder pedals. You will have much finer control of direction when flying trimmed. You need this to fly in formation.

    Throttle control is the way to stay in formation. The closer you fly to your leader, the more frequently you will be adjusting the throttle to keep the distance between you. So if you are adjusting the throttle on the keyboard in 10% increments you will not have much fun. Better hardware helps here: if your throttle controller axis is accurate and easily moved small degrees it helps a lot with closer formations. Look carefully on your instruments of engine boost pressure when flying in formation and make small, controlled adjustments to the boost - do not just flap your throttle up and down. Observe what your aircraft is doing, decide what you want changed, remember how to do it, do it, observe what happened, make the next change. And watch six.


    One more thing

    This game came with several campaigns and missions made by several highly informed and passionate historical mission builders, and personally I find this forum to be a place where this happens
    hi?
    >hi welcome!
    i got a problem on Single mission?
    >screw that get teen-screech and get on the servers!
    oh ok maybe next time k thx bye

    which is a shame. You should be encouraged to fly all the single missions and quick missions and all the campaigns, and THEN go online. imho

    If you have never read "Stick and Rudder; An Explanation of the Art of Flying" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, you should download the pdf here

    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=129

    All will be revealed in time but it takes many hours of flying. Have fun.

    Fractal Design Define R5, Corsair AX 760W, Corsair Hydro H110, Asus X99-DELUXE, Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair Vengeance 16GB, MSI GeForce GTX 970, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Western Digital Black 2TB, Win 10 Home 64-bit, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, Track-IR 5, Logitech G933, Eizo ColorEdge CS240

  10. #7
    ATAG Member ATAG_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Great Yarmouth UK
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    201.68 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post

    This game came with several campaigns and missions made by several highly informed and passionate historical mission builders, and personally I find this forum to be a place where this happens
    hi?
    >hi welcome!
    i got a problem on Single mission?
    >screw that get teen-screech and get on the servers!
    oh ok maybe next time k thx bye

    which is a shame. You should be encouraged to fly all the single missions and quick missions and all the campaigns, and THEN go online. imho
    I would always encourage any new player to take the plunge and try online flying at the earliest opportunity, and get Teamspeak as there is so much in this complex sim that you will learn a lot quicker with direct help from more experienced players than you ever will by trying to learn by yourself in single player, and of course there is that sense of camaraderie, friendship and banter that you just don't get in sp, BUT, Bondi has a point here. There are so many great Single player missions
    and campaigns in Cliffs of Dover that are all too often dismissed by many in the community as too easy, not challenging enough or whatever. I myself have only recently started looking at and flying some of these missions and campaigns after getting on for 5 years of getting my backside regularly whooped on the servers, and I have been pleasantly surprised at just how enjoyable they are to fly, and for the record I haven't found any AI 109's in single player that just sit in front of you waiting to be shot down as many have claimed.

    Single player and multiplayer are both great. They offer the flight simmer different experiences and I would say fly both and decide for yourself where you wish to fly and when for maximum enjoyment.

    Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

    Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

    PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

  11. #8
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonditaria View Post
    1. Trim.

    2. Throttle.

    On the Hurricane and Spitfire you have controls for 'elevator trim' and for 'rudder trim'. If you do not have your aircraft 'trimmed' it is more difficult to fly in formation.

    Use the elevator trim so you don't have to either, push the nose down or pull the nose up with the joystick, to keep the aircraft attitude as you want it . *Attitude being how much the nose is pointing up or down.

    You have to use the rudder trim so your aircraft doesn't constantly fly a bit sideways, called skidding, which it will do naturally if you don't get it under control. In the cockpit instruments is a ball or arrow (Hurricane) which indicates if the aircraft is flying straight forward; 'center the ball' with the rudder trim to make the aircraft fly straight forward without requiring constant input from the rudder pedals.

    You can easily find more coherent explanations not written by me elsewhere explaining the importance of trim. Do not ignore the cockpit familiarization charts provided for you under the extras/manuals in the game menus, to find basic instruments. Trim controls may need to be applied in the controls options menu. Bear in mind that trims need adjustment as you change attitude (climb, level, dive) and speed.

    If you can adjust the trim so you are flying comfortably, you will not need constant input in the control stick and rudder pedals. You will have much finer control of direction when flying trimmed. You need this to fly in formation.

    Throttle control is the way to stay in formation. The closer you fly to your leader, the more frequently you will be adjusting the throttle to keep the distance between you. So if you are adjusting the throttle on the keyboard in 10% increments you will not have much fun. Better hardware helps here: if your throttle controller axis is accurate and easily moved small degrees it helps a lot with closer formations. Look carefully on your instruments of engine boost pressure when flying in formation and make small, controlled adjustments to the boost - do not just flap your throttle up and down. Observe what your aircraft is doing, decide what you want changed, remember how to do it, do it, observe what happened, make the next change. And watch six.


    One more thing

    This game came with several campaigns and missions made by several highly informed and passionate historical mission builders, and personally I find this forum to be a place where this happens
    hi?
    >hi welcome!
    i got a problem on Single mission?
    >screw that get teen-screech and get on the servers!
    oh ok maybe next time k thx bye

    which is a shame. You should be encouraged to fly all the single missions and quick missions and all the campaigns, and THEN go online. imho

    If you have never read "Stick and Rudder; An Explanation of the Art of Flying" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, you should download the pdf here

    https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...downloadid=129

    All will be revealed in time but it takes many hours of flying. Have fun.
    Hmmmn! Thinks........'very well written, Bondi! Certainly explains why we all struggle to shoot the man down!'

    Ha ha! Salute!

  12. Likes Bonditaria, ATAG_Knight liked this post
  13. #9
    ATAG Member ATAG_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Horley , Surrey , England , UK
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    I promise we'll try and get you home again in one piece! Ha ha! Salute!


    "Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

    Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

  14. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Malcolmg, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
  15. #10
    ATAG Member ATAG_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Horley , Surrey , England , UK
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Hey MalcolmG

    Don't be shy , come and fly
    Last edited by ATAG_Knight; Dec-28-2020 at 06:06.

    "Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

    Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

  16. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
  17. #11
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knight View Post
    Cheeky basket!

    But he's right, Malcolm...come and put your life in our ...cough, cough....capable hands! Salute!

  18. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Knight liked this post
  19. #12
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Good day gentlemen and a Happy New Year to all

    I am still trying in single player to get my act together. Have started the COD campaign again this time with some realism added. I seemed to be doing OK in the Hurricane, well ish, but then I was transferred to a Spitfire squadron and after severely damaging several props I managed to get airborne.

    However I have hit a problem in the mission I am on at the moment, I cannot get off the ground, which I am sure you will admit is a serious drawback. Every time I roll down the runway at an ever increasing speed then pull back the stick the Spit starts to take off, then pulls strongly to port before hitting the deck. I must have made ten or twelve attempts to no avail. I have reconfigured the joystick, but that made no difference at all.

    I know I haven't given much to go on but does anybody have an inkling what I might be doing wrong / it is really embarrassing and nobody is watching.

    regards and stay safe all

    MalcolmG

  20. #13
    ATAG Member ATAG_FLAK BOSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    West Yorkshire England UK.
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.42 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post
    Good day gentlemen and a Happy New Year to all

    I am still trying in single player to get my act together. Have started the COD campaign again this time with some realism added. I seemed to be doing OK in the Hurricane, well ish, but then I was transferred to a Spitfire squadron and after severely damaging several props I managed to get airborne.

    However I have hit a problem in the mission I am on at the moment, I cannot get off the ground, which I am sure you will admit is a serious drawback. Every time I roll down the runway at an ever increasing speed then pull back the stick the Spit starts to take off, then pulls strongly to port before hitting the deck. I must have made ten or twelve attempts to no avail. I have reconfigured the joystick, but that made no difference at all.

    I know I haven't given much to go on but does anybody have an inkling what I might be doing wrong / it is really embarrassing and nobody is watching.

    regards and stay safe all

    MalcolmG
    Hi Malcolm and welcome to ATAG.

    The problem is probably due to a faulty rudder setting. As you take off the prop is pulling you naturally to the right so your rudder setting should be set to bring you back left to a central position. The faster you go the worse the swing as you try to correct. Check the ATAG flashcards for advice on take off in the Spit, rudder setting and take off speed. The flashcards are available in the game menu under manuals I think.

    Regards FB

    Vickers Wellington Mk1c. OJ-F P2517 'F for Freddie' of No.149 Squadron, star of 'Target for Tonight' directed by Harry Watt released in July 1941.

  21. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
  22. #14
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post
    Good day gentlemen and a Happy New Year to all

    I am still trying in single player to get my act together. Have started the COD campaign again this time with some realism added. I seemed to be doing OK in the Hurricane, well ish, but then I was transferred to a Spitfire squadron and after severely damaging several props I managed to get airborne.

    However I have hit a problem in the mission I am on at the moment, I cannot get off the ground, which I am sure you will admit is a serious drawback. Every time I roll down the runway at an ever increasing speed then pull back the stick the Spit starts to take off, then pulls strongly to port before hitting the deck. I must have made ten or twelve attempts to no avail. I have reconfigured the joystick, but that made no difference at all.

    I know I haven't given much to go on but does anybody have an inkling what I might be doing wrong / it is really embarrassing and nobody is watching.

    regards and stay safe all

    MalcolmG
    Hi Malcolm.......Happy New Year to you too. Do not panic we've all been there!

    The Spitfire has a tendency to drop the port wing just before lift off so you need to ease the stick to the right slightly, to offset this. The torque of the engine also tends to make the aircraft veer to the right so you need to counteract this with rudder inputs. As soon as you are airborne you can dispense/centre both and concentrate on trimming the aircraft. Hope this helps.
    I'd be very happy to talk you through some circuits and bumps if you think it would help to talk it over. I'm retired now so have the luxury of time.

    Just let me know! keep going......it will come right! Good luck! Salute!

  23. #15
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    FB and Marlow

    Thanks for the advice gentlemen, it has helped. I actually managed to get off the ground this afternoon.After reading your comments I came to realise I was putting for to little attention into the flight characteristics. I slowed myself down and stopped trying to rush it all and slowly I realised that this is a proper simulation. Many thanks I have been playing so called flight sims which aren't for too long.

    Marlow your offer of a few bumps and circuits yes I would like that. I have joystick, obviously and Razer headphones with mic I have tried FaceTrackNoir but am struggling with curves and all that so I will stick with hat for the moment. Now what do I do to meet you online please? Guess the first thing is to download Team Speak?

    All advice welcomed

    regards and stay safe

    MalcolmG

  24. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
  25. #16
    ATAG Member ATAG_Torian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    1,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Hi Malcolm,
    Yes TeamSpeak is ur friend. Download here https://www.teamspeak.com/en/downloads/
    and install the 64bit client.

    Once intalled go to the "Connections" tab top left and then clik on "Connect". The ATAG Server Address is 104.153.108.10 and the Password is calais and put your name in the Nickname box and then hit connect. U can then "Bookmark" this address by right clicking on the "ATAG Community TS3" tab and select "Bookmark"...thereafter when u need to connect u simply go to the "Bookmarks" tab and select the ATAG TS3 and it will connect u.
    U will have to set up your microphone and speaker to your headset if it doesn't default to that. Simply go to the "Tools" tab top right (next to Help) and then go to "Options" down the bottom. On the left select "Playback" to set to your headset speakers and then again on the left select "Capture" to set your microphone to your headset microphone. Most of us set the microphone "Activation" to "Push to Talk" and set it to a button on your flight stick. U can set it to "Voice Activity Detection" so u don't have to push a button but that will transmit any sound loud enough to activate it including the dog barking, the TV, your wife yelling at u, etc.
    Last edited by ATAG_Torian; Jan-09-2021 at 17:23.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

    Gaming PC: Asus Rampage III Gene mobo, i7 960 3.2Ghz cpu (running at 3.8Ghz), Noctua dual HS & fan cpu cooler, 24GB Kingston 1600mhz triple channel ram, Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Corsair 750w psu, EVGA GTX 1070 6GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

  26. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  27. #17
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Torian

    Many thanks for that, have downloaded Team Speak, mic and phones operative. I had to change the address for the server as I think that is only for Auststralia. I kept getting connection failed or something similar. got there in the end by going on ATAG website. So thanks again, Maybe we might meet up in the game although time difference might be a problem.

    regards

    stay safe
    Malcolm

  28. Likes Redhead69, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
  29. #18
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post

    Marlow your offer of a few bumps and circuits yes I would like that. I have joystick, obviously and Razer headphones with mic I have tried FaceTrackNoir but am struggling with curves and all that so I will stick with hat for the moment. Now what do I do to meet you online please?

    MalcolmG
    Hi Malcolm....sorry, I've only just come across your reply above, mentioning circuits and bumps! Firstly, huge thanks to Torian for the brilliant help on Team Speak! Now you've got that, Malcolm, we can chat away for England and hopefully help you along.

    I am ready to fly today, if that suits. Just name your time and look out for me on Team Speak. Then, join the same Channel and say 'hello.' We can then scoot off somewhere 'quiet' and have some fun!

    I will look out below for a post from you re dates and times! Salute!

  30. #19
    ATAG Member ATAG_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Great Yarmouth UK
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    201.68 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Hi Malcolm,

    Yes, the Spitfire is a tricky aircraft to take off in compared to the Hurricane because of it's tendency to dip a wing and swing to the left.

    It took me a while to master this when I started, but as has already been suggested, the trick is to counter the torque with the rudder and slight right pressure on the stick. I also find that it helps to open the throttle slowly at first, ensuring that you are tracking down the runway in a straight line before opening the throttle fully.

    Do join us on Teamspeak anytime. It is probably the easiest way of getting any problems that you may have, ironed out and questions answered.

    Another tip I can give is to practice those circuits and bumps using the cross country quick mission where you start with a warmed up aircraft at the threshold of the runway. The default aircraft for this mission is the Blenheim, but you can change this to a spitfire (pick a spitfire 1a 100 oct or a Spitfire 11a) or any other aircraft you wish to fly. Just make sure to touch your brakes before you start to release them.

    Good luck

    Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

    Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

    PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

  31. Likes ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
  32. #20
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Leicestershire UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    162.00 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Marlow hi

    Just done the same as you, just found your answer re meeting up for a bit of instruction. I am a bit tied up now could you make tomorrow afternoon say around 14.00?

    My regards

    malcolm

  33. #21
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Marlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Marlow, Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

    Re: Maintaining formation

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmg View Post
    Marlow hi

    Just done the same as you, just found your answer re meeting up for a bit of instruction. I am a bit tied up now could you make tomorrow afternoon say around 14.00?

    My regards

    malcolm
    Hi Malcolm......(we must stop meeting like this.....the others will talk! Ha ha!)

    Good man! You're on! 14.00 should be fine! If we just join Team Speak...probably in the Lobby, then we can find somewhere to go and try a few take offs and landings! See you then! Salute!

  34. Likes Malcolmg, ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Snapper liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •