Thread: Hurricanes of 56 squadron

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    326.30 MB

Hurricanes of 56 squadron

Hi all and happy new years,

I start making mk1 hurricane skins from 56 squadron during the battle of britain. I am looking for profiles or serial numbers with the letters.

I have already made:
    US-U P3153; US-S V7509; US-H N2434; US-P P2764; US-T N2429.

I still have to do:
    US-X P2970; US-Z R2689; US-C R4197; US-G P2689; US-R P3655.

Do you know of any other 56 squadron hurricanes please ? Thank you.

2. Likes ATAG_Vampire, biggles1666 liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Re: Hurricanes of 56 squadron

Quote Originally Posted by Fred901 View Post
    Hi all and happy new years,

I start making mk1 hurricane skins from 56 squadron during the battle of britain. I am looking for profiles or serial numbers with the letters.

I have already made:
    US-U P3153; US-S V7509; US-H N2434; US-P P2764; US-T N2429.

I still have to do:
    US-X P2970; US-Z R2689; US-C R4197; US-G P2689; US-R P3655.

Do you know of any other 56 squadron hurricanes please ? Thank you.
    Hello Fred!

I have checked your list above and most were allocated to 56 Sqn as far as I can see.

There are two, however, that I would double check.

P2764 / US-P AIR81/2282 the Casualty File describes this aircraft as being lost to enemy action at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine on 22 June 1940 whilst with 615 Sqn. The pilot P/O J R Lloyd was killed.

P2689 / US-G This aircraft was with 73 Sqn and lost on 14 May 1940 at Sedan. The pilot Sgt L G M Dibden was killed.

As for other Hurricane I's with 56 Sqn in the Battle of Britain try these:

R4117 / US-V

P3473 / US-K * This aircraft was shot down on the 26 August 1940. The pilot Sgt R T Llewellyn baled out.

N2712 / US-M * 'Fighter Squadrons of the R.A.F' lists this as a 56 Sqn aircraft and was eventually lost in a crash landing on 13 September 1941 whilst allocated to 52 OTU.

As with all this historical information there could be anomalies.

Anyway I hope this helps.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    326.30 MB

Thank you very much Vampire!

5. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

I fly the RAF Fighters in CLoD, and I adopted US-A about five years ago for the obvious Yankee impact, but all I could find online indicates that 56th never flew Spitfires in WWII, only Hurricanes and Tempests. Nevertheless, I'd love to hear any history you may discover regarding US-A. Could the "A" plane indicate squadron leader's ship, or is it just a delivery sequence number (Letter)?
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-04-2021 at 21:47. Reason: airplane type corrected
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Hi Baffin!

As far as I am aware 56 Squadron RAF flew the Spitfire IX for a short time between April and June 1944. The squadron converted to the Tempest V in June 1944.

The squadron code US was used by 56 from the start of the war up to 1946. LR was used previously during the period known as the Munich Crisis up to the commencement of hostilities.

Squadron code letters were introduced in March/April 1939 as a means of identifying squadrons. Three letters were used, two to denote the squadron and a third to denote the individual aircraft within the squadron. On the outbreak of war the two letter allocations were changed to confuse enemy intelligence.

As for the individual aircraft letter A being used by the squadron leader on his aircraft I do not believe that was a laid down requirement. On some squadrons the 'Boss' may well have flown aircraft with 'A' as its letter. However, in a wartime situation, especially during the Battle of Britain, it was not practical.

Later on in the war some squadron/wing leaders did have specific individual aircraft codes. One who immediately comes to mind is Douglas Bader when he was Wing Commander of the Tangmere Wing.

One of the wing leader's "perks" was permission to have his initials marked on his aircraft as personal identification, thus "D-B" was painted on the side of Bader's Spitfire. These letters gave rise to his radio call-sign "Dogsbody".

Hope this is of interest.

"A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    Hi Baffin!

As far as I am aware 56 Squadron RAF flew the Spitfire IX for a short time between April and June 1944. The squadron converted to the Tempest V in June 1944.

The squadron code US was used by 56 from the start of the war up to 1946. LR was used previously during the period known as the Munich Crisis up to the commencement of hostilities.

Squadron code letters were introduced in March/April 1939 as a means of identifying squadrons. Three letters were used, two to denote the squadron and a third to denote the individual aircraft within the squadron. On the outbreak of war the two letter allocations were changed to confuse enemy intelligence.

As for the individual aircraft letter A being used by the squadron leader on his aircraft I do not believe that was a laid down requirement. On some squadrons the 'Boss' may well have flown aircraft with 'A' as its letter. However, in a wartime situation, especially during the Battle of Britain, it was not practical.

Later on in the war some squadron/wing leaders did have specific individual aircraft codes. One who immediately comes to mind is Douglas Bader when he was Wing Commander of the Tangmere Wing.

One of the wing leader's "perks" was permission to have his initials marked on his aircraft as personal identification, thus "D-B" was painted on the side of Bader's Spitfire. These letters gave rise to his radio call-sign "Dogsbody".

Hope this is of interest.

Very much so! Thank you. Now I don't feel so much like a cheat using US-A on my Spitfire!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

9. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    433.78 MB

https://www.airteamimages.com/hawker...ce_120506.html
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cb/de...b80d32cd7e.jpg.

6155.jpg I`ve just finished this skin 615squadron from Kenley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by biggles1666; Mar-28-2021 at 06:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    760.03 MB

Hi Fred
    I did Pilot Officer G. Page US-X 'Little Willie'(P2970) & Flt Lt E. Gracie (R2689) ages ago and if it saves you time
    feel free to to use them unless of course You would prefer to do them Yourself.
    Regards
    Keith

Click on Image Below and you will be taken to the POSTIMAGE site, at the top of the page is a box marked 'Download original Image'

click on it then 'Save As ' in \STEAM\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\PaintSchemes\Skins\HurricaneMkI

Last edited by KeefyBoy; Mar-28-2021 at 10:31.

12. Likes 56RAF_stickz, major_setback liked this post