Thread: The Vulching Experience DCS vs IL-2 Great Battles vs 1946 vs CloD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

The Vulching Experience DCS vs IL-2 Great Battles vs 1946 vs CloD

Hello, over the Christmas holidays I took an advantage of the DCS free to play event to try out some of the warbirds they have on offer.
    When I was playing around with P-47 I found this airfield attack quick mission where you are supposed to vulch some planes parked/taking off.
    This at the start of the video where I drop the 500 pound bombs on the poor Doras. I have to say that I was not impressed by how the game handles bomb damage
    to live planes. As you can see the bomb exploded right on top of the middle one and it just got lots of damage decals and the engine stopped that is all.
    Several times when one of those plane survived in such good condition that it managed to take off.

It was similar story with the Great Battles series, a bit better as there were some wings being blown of and one plane was slightly moved by the explosion.
    The most interesting was watching those two AIs with blown engines and holes all over driving into a forest.

In good old 1946 I knew what I could expect and everything proceeded as I have foreseen. The planes were blown up into bits plus all the pilots near the bombs died.
    Other sims pilots proved much more bomb resistant.

Last but not least we have my personal favourite Cliffs of Dover. Since there is no P-47 I used the Hurri bomber to drop some 500 pounders on 109s about to take off.
    And results were spectacular you can see the shock waves travelling in real time and blowing bits of the planes away. The absolute best thing was when I got that great hit on the 109
    and it got tossed across the runway. It was most impressive of the bunch.

Had a lot of fun shooting the footage what was less fun was editing it cause the free editor I used had some trouble with audio in the clips and I spent three evenings reencoding everything several times to get rid of the issues.

In the end I did no buy any DCS modules. The Jug is really great looking and detailed but the flight model is a bit strange and you also need to buy like the asset pack and a map and who knows what else to play it. Bought the Great Battles modules instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re: The Vulching Experience DCS vs IL-2 Great Battles vs 1946 vs CloD

I had always wondered how it looked on the receiving end
    It doesn't get more glorious than that.
    Thanks for posting
    Intel Core i7 9700k (8-core), 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.6 GHz. 16GB DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz Dual Channel HyperX
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X. 512GB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD (Boot)
    Alienware 850 Watt power supply liquid cooled. Alienware 34in Curved WQHD 3440 x 1440 @ 120Hz. G-SYNC. DP 1.2 mode.
    Thrustmaster 1600, Saitek rudder pedals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.26 MB

Many recording programs use variable bit rate, which many editing programs can't use without audio desync issues. To solve this run your recording through another free program called "Handbrake" which will re-encode the clips and give a constant bitrate which your editor will be able to use without sound problems.
    Spec: Intel i9 11900k overclocked at 5.3 GHz, Asus Maximus XIII motherboard, 64 GB high speed DDR4 RAM, ROG Strix RTX 4090, M.2 HD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS with center stick and extension, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 or HP Reverb G2, CH Throttle Quadrant, LG UltraGear 48GQ900 monitor.

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Again and again I'm impressed how well old Il2 1946 (in its modded versions) could handle a lot of things.

6. Likes danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Did some more experimenting this time with bigger bombs the results were great several times i managed to send the remains of those 109s flying at what i assume must be supersonic speed. Tacked on some other amusing stuff behind the unfortunate 109.
    Another 109 direct hit by 500 pound bomb. Last clip is when I got hit and then rammed by 109 in Heinkel 111 but slowed down so much during the fall that i survived the crash.
    Also tried this in Battle of Stalingrad but the results were quite underwhelming when few planes survived even SC1800 hits and managed to take off.

8. Likes danperin liked this post