Thread: Recommendations for Rudder Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Recommendations for Rudder Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    MFG Crosswind, ...

And they are made of wood,...
    Is not in wood, this is bad information repeated in the Web by people who disdain the product (justifying for themselves their more expensive toys).

Crosswind is made from a composite material (Formica™ like) used in kitchen cabinets manufacture (MFG primary business).

I have seen pictures of "all metal" pedals with rust, what difficulty will happens with Crosswind.

BTW - Crosswind V3 new features:

- Mount holes for bolt a motorcycle steering damper, e.g. for use as helicopter pedal without the spring.

- Heels rest/stop on pads is now fixed with two screws, allowing removed then and use the pads "heels on floor".
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-15-2021 at 12:16.

2. Likes Karaya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    Was reading through it a long time ago, must have thought it's made of wood composite maybe because he comes from a furniture family businiss, but looking at it now, I can't find any description of what this composite is made of.
    Pretty sure this is indeed that case.

Certainly was what I have always been lead to belive.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

I found this review of the Crosswinds:
    http://c-aviation.net/review/pedaly-...wind-review-6/

A short search on the internet gives the answer – a composite based on phenol-formaldehyde resins. Rigid and highly resistant to damage. After shaping, they can machine it, but it is resistant to heat (as opposed to plastic).
    or here:
    https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic...-pedal-review/

Materials: The hardware that comes with the pedals is very robust, nothing skimpy there. The material the pedals are made from , is a thermoset composite material with phenolic resin. Coming from the industry I am very familiar with it, and can tell you it is a very durable strong material, that in a gaming environment I can't see ever having a material problem with. It is some very stout stuff.
    Last edited by Karaya; Jan-15-2021 at 03:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Here's a few pics of the new MFG Crosswinds V3 model with the new hydraulic damper......these are not my pedals BTW,mine are the V2 model,same colour(graphite)but no hydraulic damper.....just thought it would be nice to show others the V3 model.

The damper kits will be available shortly from Milan at MFG.....can't tell you what price they may be though....expensive I expect.

Last edited by Meaks; Jan-15-2021 at 08:26.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

6. Likes Baffin, ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    103.86 MB

Just to make UK buyers beware ordering from Europe,,mate bought rudder pedals and had £55 import tax, and a £12 royal mail handling charge.

Brexit

Red
    Target 4 'o' clock low

8. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Quote Originally Posted by EAF602_Red View Post
    Just to make UK buyers beware ordering from Europe,,mate bought rudder pedals and had £55 import tax, and a £12 royal mail handling charge.

Brexit

Red
    On the other hand you should now also be able to deduct the VAT from the other end, which should compensate, right?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

10. Likes ATAG_Vampire, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Just to give them a shoutout I bought a set of cheap O Pro Flight rudder pedals about 15 years ago and they still work just fine. I'm actually shocked at how well they've held up

12. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Hawk, Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Noofy View Post
    On the other hand you should now also be able to deduct the VAT from the other end, which should compensate, right?
    It's just such a hassle! When will politicians on both sides of the pond figure out how much indiscriminate taxes interfere with commerce. If England sells the same product for less $ out of pocket, I'll buy from England (Or any other free country).
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-28-2021 at 10:56.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

Wink Re: Recommendations for Rudder Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    When will politicians on both sides of the pond figure out how much indiscriminate taxes interfere with commerce.
    Politicians? Figure out? Really?
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

16. Likes DerDa, Baffin, Nightdare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post
    The damper kits will be available shortly from Milan at MFG.....can't tell you what price they may be though....expensive I expect.
    This damper is motorcycle steering damper, not much expensive, check eBay, Aliexpress.

Replika kit (image above) allow fit this damper in Crosswind previous version, as well R/C pig back shock in brakes - for have a hydraulic feel.

Accord the Replika guy, he convinced MFG to use his design in the V3 version.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-16-2021 at 14:12.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    353.11 MB

STOP IT you are all making me think I better get a set of these now .They look cool and I dont even know if I need them? . do you think I need them for my bombers ??

TGIF

PS they are calling them Graphite could they be some sort of carbon fiber material ?
    Last edited by tgif; Jan-16-2021 at 17:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

The Thrustmaster TPR Pendulum rudder pedals (Reviewed here in post #1) have arrived and been installed! I've had my feet on a lot of mechanical, hydraulic and fly-by-wire rudders in planes and simulators for about 45 years and these are the most realistic and most comfortable sim pedals I've ever used. They move like real pedals in a T-38 Jet Trainer, which are similar to most airliners and (I think) most fighters due the "Hanging Down" pendulum geometry. They are infinitely adjustable for pitch and tension.

After using them for a few sorties, it occurs to me that I needn't even think about them... they're just there, an extension of my feet... the way rudders ought to be. They center up with no pressure absolutely perfectly EVERY time.

Assembly was a "No-Brainer" requiring four hex screws and two metric nuts using the included wrenches. Windows USB installation was "Plug and Play" with Windows 10 or optional Thrustmaster drivers. It's as simple as it gets.

Programming Issue: SEE EDIT. Software is now OK. ...There seems to be a glitch when using Thrustmaster TARGET Script Editor program scripting in that the rudder may not be recognized when all three axes are combined by the software. This in no way affects the use of the rudders if rudders are left in the unprogrammed state. Windows will recognize the normal "Thrustmaster Combined" device for aileron and elevator and buttons programming with TARGET SE, while the rudder and toe brakes operate normally as a separate device in the Windows Game Controllers window. I've read that aftermarket programming (FSUIPC, etc.) utilities also work properly but I haven't needed to load any of them in my simulators.

Extra feature: My toes can fit under these pedals. It's not necessary to rest my feet on the pedals when not in use. (Just a little less wear and tear.)

Only criticism: They cost too much. (But don't they all?)

Final answer: Three Thumbs Up!

EDIT: TARGET Software works perfectly as of June, 2021.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-09-2021 at 10:01. Reason: TARGET Software Fixed
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

20. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_JackMaxx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

After 7 years I changed my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals for a set of VKB-T Rudder Pedals MKIV. €60,00 difference in price but in use a difference of day and night.If someone is looking for a not so expensive rudderpedal just go for VKB-T Rudder Pedals MKIV
    The only downside can be not having toebreaks on it.
    T-RudderMK4_5_small_blackbox.jpg
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

22. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

"The only downside can be not having toebreaks on it."

Errh:

- The only downside can be not having (physical) toebreaks on it, but virtual "differential brakes" emulation for any plane - regard the plane has "tommy brakes" or "joe brakes", in any game (like IL-2:GB "Bo'X" have native "differential brakes" for any plane).
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jan-17-2021 at 15:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

VKB-T pedals look like a less expensive alternative at $215US. Here's a link to the USA marketing site.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

I notice that my feet feel like they rest on horizontal "Bars" when using my high-priced TPR's, almost like they would on this VKB product. Unless you want toe brakes, they might work as a good replica for WWII British fighters with "Rudder Bar" controls.

EDIT: Please read Karaya's eval in post #47, below... can these really have no centering spring or other resistance?

VKB HQ ships all products from China.

... something to consider...
    Last edited by Baffin; Jun-09-2021 at 10:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

I tried the VKB T-Rudder pedals for ~2 weeks about 5 years ago but didn't like them at all. The way there is no resistance other than the force/pressure of your other foot is really weird when coming from more traditional pedals. I could never get the kind of precision out of them I would have liked to as it's way too easy to apply too much rudder with them. That's especially true for CloD where rudders are super effective compared to other sims. Imo they are best suited for helicopter sims, not so much for warbird and jet sims.

In the end I went for the VKB Mk.19-3 pedals which were out of production at the time but I managed to get my hands on the last set VKB Europe had lying around. These have now been replaced by MFG Crosswind V3 pedals.

26. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    I tried the VKB T-Rudder pedals for ~2 weeks about 5 years ago but didn't like them at all. The way there is no resistance other than the force/pressure of your other foot is really weird when coming from more traditional pedals. I could never get the kind of precision out of them I would have liked to as it's way too easy to apply too much rudder with them. That's especially true for CloD where rudders are super effective compared to other sims. Imo they are best suited for helicopter sims, not so much for warbird and jet sims.

In the end I went for the VKB Mk.19-3 pedals which were out of production at the time but I managed to get my hands on the last set VKB Europe had lying around. These have now been replaced by MFG Crosswind V3 pedals.
    Just an explanation for non flyers:

Older airplanes and many modern General Aviation types have rudder systems rigged mechanically with cables. So, when not in flight, there is no resistance (Like the VKB-T's). If you push it to the side, it will just stay there unless the manufacturer has rigged a rare, "Centering spring". During ground ops, a crosswind will deflect the rudder and pedals if you don't have your feet on the pedals. It's all very normal and easy to learn or get used to. Once you apply power or face into a significant headwind, the rudder will try to streamline, with deflection pressure increasing proportionally to the airspeed. In flight, the same simple axiom applies: the faster you go, the harder it is to apply rudder. But since the rudder is more effective at high speed, a little deflection goes a long way and the resistance is natural and appreciated.

In big and fast planes the controls are often powered by hydraulic actuators and are simply controlled by the rudder pedals. You move your feet to open the valves which moves the fluid to push the actuators which move the rudder that lives on the plane that Jack built. Since we can't feel the hydraulic pressure in the pedals like we can with direct cable controls, the engineers had to simulate that pressure with some kind of feel spring or other synthetic feel system to keep our feet happy. Hence, the problem with simulator rudder controls.

In a commercial simulator, they engineer very sophisticated systems that take into account all the variables of speed, altitude, air density, etc. to feedback into the pedals through "Feel Springs", so it feels like the real airplane at all speeds. In our "living room" simulators, we must settle for "no feel", (like Karaya's VKB-T's), or "Fake feel" like all the rest using centering feel springs. Since there's no feedback from the computer's airspeed to adjust your "Crosswinds" or my "TPR" for air pressure, we just have to settle for a well thought-out spring algorithm to make the pressures somewhat realistic and smooth. I think they work very well at cruise speeds and higher. Only at very low speeds do these feel artificially heavy. (Near the stall speed, rudders should have nearly zero resistance).

Finally, there are advocates for each kind of controls, both hydraulic and cable. Sometimes engineers must use hydraulics to overcome the forces required by high speed flight, but even some jet airliners had cable control systems before Fly-by-wire came along. One of the best flying airliners was the Douglas DC-9, known by many of us as the "Direct Cable - 9".

After all, it's just a video game...right?
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-28-2021 at 11:04. Reason: low speed effects

28. Likes Mender, Bonditaria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Is there any experience with these e TFRP MSRP.

https://www.amazon.de/Thrustmaster-R.../dp/B01649IVI8

Are they any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    Since there's no feedback from the computer's airspeed to adjust your "Crosswinds" or my "TPR" for air pressure, we just have to settle for a well thought-out spring algorithm to make the pressures somewhat realistic and smooth. After all, it's just a video game...right?
    That's why I like my Crosswinds. They have a centering spring as well as a cam design which means the force needed to deflect them increases somewhat exponentially towards full deflection. Comes closest to the control feel of the aircraft I've flown.

31. Likes Baffin, Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,019.37 MB

Well, the VKBs have a spring, it is not that they stay where you put them. And to my knowledge you can both adjust the spring tension and use 2 different cams.
    This is valid for the Mk IV, do not know if Karaya tested an earlier version without this feature?
    But of course, it is all about personal preferences and what requirements you have.
    For me for example it was important that they are quite small and easy to stow away as I do not have enough space and that they cannot slide on the floor when used.
    For me they feel reasonable real but my only experience is from flying PA28s not really comparable to a Wellington rudder bar I guess.

And toe brakes, well I do not miss them, use 2 buttons on my joystick for the US-planes in CloD, there I guess non of the pedals out there really can match the real world feeling, eg when you try to get this bloody Piper Cadet around this tight corner to align with the parking lines and you stand with all your weight in the one brake but it’s just barely enough

33. Likes Baffin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post

Are they any good?
    Flak Boss likes his. (I think they are what you are referring to.) see post #3, this thread.

35. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.42 MB

Are they any good?
    Hi Der Da.

I have these pedals. I like them perfect for my use. Nice and solid and the best thing is they don't move around very much, even on carpet. The only minus point is some people think the pedals are too close together. I have small feet so no problem but if you have large feet they may not be for you.

Flak.

Vickers Wellington Mk1c. OJ-F P2517 'F for Freddie' of No.149 Squadron, star of 'Target for Tonight' directed by Harry Watt released in July 1941.

Freddy prepares for an air test prior to departure from Ford on ops with No.149 Squadron for a daring daylight attack on Marshalling Yards in Caen France 31\1|21. ATAG Operation Milk Run. Target destroyed. Six Wellingtons, One Blenheim together with
    their Spitfire escort returned safely. One Wellington crashed on landing at Ford.

37. Likes Baffin, ATAG_Highseas, DerDa, Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

[QUOTE=FLAK BOSS;369451. The only minus point is some people think the pedals are too close together. I have small feet so no problem but if you have large feet they may not be for you.

Flak.[/QUOTE]

They do look very close.

To be honest though we all get used to whatever we have.

Some still prefer twist grip for rudder.

To me that makes no sense... but.... if it works...

That's all that matters.

(My rudders are better than your rudders. )

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

39. Likes DerDa, ATAG_Hawk, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by FLAK BOSS View Post
    Hi Der Da.

I have these pedals. I like them perfect for my use. Nice and solid and the best thing is they don't move around very much, even on carpet. The only minus point is some people think the pedals are too close together. I have small feet so no problem but if you have large feet they may not be for you.

Flak.
    That they are close together that's just the most important point for me.
    I would like to move my whole setup to my desk, but there are chests of drawers left and right and my old pedals do not fit there.

41. Likes ATAG_Hawk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post

Some still prefer twist
    [/COLOR]
    I certainly do!
    https://makeagif.com/gif/adamms-twist-Mvrv7m

43. Likes ATAG_Hawk, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.42 MB

That they are close together that's just the most important point for me.
    I would like to move my whole setup to my desk, but there are chests of drawers left and right and my old pedals do not fit there.
    Hi DD.
    Just measured the pedals only 31cm wide. You may have enough space? And under 100 Euros.

I bought mine on eBay £50.

Flak.

Vickers Wellington Mk1c. OJ-F P2517 'F for Freddie' of No.149 Squadron, star of 'Target for Tonight' directed by Harry Watt released in July 1941.

Freddy prepares for an air test prior to departure from Ford on ops with No.149 Squadron for a daring daylight attack on Marshalling Yards in Caen France 31\1|21. ATAG Operation Milk Run. Target destroyed. Six Wellingtons, One Blenheim together with
    their Spitfire escort returned safely. One Wellington crashed on landing at Ford.

45. Likes Baffin, Meaks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Here's a schematic diagram of the Thrustmaster TPR Pendular system:

TPR_Rudder_Schematic_Cockpit_Setup.jpg

There are holes and grommets for mounting the pedals to the floor, but they are unnecessary on most surfaces. My TPR sits on the carpet and stays put. I have a board behind it to guage the distance from the wall and to prevent pushback, but it is not really necessary. TPR is larger than most pedals but it still fits under my desk with room to spare.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-24-2021 at 08:04.

47. Likes DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking 1lokos,but where did you source your foot/heel rests for your MFG Crosswinds from,they look good

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post
    Hope you don't mind me asking 1lokos,but where did you source your foot/heel rests for your MFG Crosswinds from,they look good
    This foot rest are made/sell by a Croatian guy - who are in touch with Milan of MFG; their sales website.

https://www.combatpedals.com/

Another option of similar foot rest is the one made in Germany, see in DCS forum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/256148...combat-pedals/

50. Likes Meaks liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast