Thread: Steam online failure still after suggested small fixes now what ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Steam online failure still after suggested small fixes now what ?

Hi,
    Been in offline mode for a few years, now I come to go online steam wont connect.
    googled this, tried ALL the suggestions, all except for disabling windows firewall, no way will I compromise my win7 pc for damn steam.
    faced with a total reinstall, it warns it will nuke all games from steam.
    I have CoD, and assetto corsa, all tweaked and modded over the years.

I have backed up PC just ready for the update if Bltz v5, cannot access emails until update now done.

and I get this steam fiasco.

there is one article on fiddling with ports on your router, ye gods..
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711
    come on , when someone installs steam you dont have to try and get hold of virgin media for an hour, then say you need them to fiddle with all the ports, steam just goes on, and works, the minnions at Virgin would most likely mess up an otherwise perfect setup,.

this is just nuts, we shouldnt have to go that deep, steam will have us hacking the registry next !

I fear its to be a total reinstall.

what should I backup and then copy paste back in so as not to lose anything as I cant redo years of work all over again.

will steam only attack the Blitz folders or all my earlier mod folders with suffix names such as mod3 ?

Bloody steam :-(

I have seen others complain of it, now I know why., that it attacks what was on your pc.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jan-23-2021 at 16:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: Steam online failure still after suggested small fixes now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Hi,
    Been in offline mode for a few years, now I come to go online steam wont connect.
    googled this, tried ALL the suggestions, all except for disabling windows firewall, no way will I compromise my win7 pc for damn steam.
    faced with a total reinstall, it warns it will nuke all games from steam.
    I have CoD, and assetto corsa, all tweaked and modded over the years.

I have backed up PC just ready for the update if Bltz v5, cannot access emails until update now done.

and I get this steam fiasco.

there is one article on fiddling with ports on your router, ye gods..
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711
    come on , when someone installs steam you dont have to try and get hold of virgin media for an hour, then say you need them to fiddle with all the ports, steam just goes on, and works, the minnions at Virgin would most likely mess up an otherwise perfect setup,.

this is just nuts, we shouldnt have to go that deep, steam will have us hacking the registry next !

I fear its to be a total reinstall.

what should I backup and then copy paste back in so as not to lose anything as I cant redo years of work all over again.

will steam only attack the Blitz folders or all my earlier mod folders with suffix names such as mod3 ?

Bloody steam :-(

I have seen others complain of it, now I know why., that it attacks what was on your pc.

BOBC
    I've never had an issue with steam.

a few with Cliffs for sure over the years but none since the official v5 was released.

all works seamlessly for me.

You have made a few posts in the last few days in multiple threads regarding legacy versions of cliffs.

by all means keep them... but do understand that they are unsuported.

my advice is update everything rather than using old software. keep the old stuff if you want... I have some very old software...... but... im not surprised when it doesnt work as it did on windows 3.11

oh.. also... i keep a backup of my drive using Macrium Reflect... free drive cloning software... its brilliant !! Baffin mentioned it a few years back and ive been using it ever since....

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

3. Likes ATAG_Noofy, ATAG_Soldat, Meaks, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Like Highseas said, you're opening too many threads for the same subject.
    I never had a problem with steam, but maybe your steam is too old to get updated since you've been offline for so long.
    So just download a new steam client to make it work.
    If it won't update the old version and you have to uninstall, before uninstalling, just rename your whole "Steam" folder with the games in it.
    Install new steam, then put the "Steam\steamapps\common" folder with your games in it.
    Once you try to "install" games on steam, steam will check if files are already there, so it won't take too long.
    Be aware steam will try to update, so you might want to change the download policy to - "update only when starting the game"

5. Likes ATAG_Soldat, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Tibsun View Post
    before uninstalling, just rename your whole "Steam" folder with the games in it.
    Install new steam, then put the "Steam\steamapps\common" folder with your games in it.
    Once you try to "install" games on steam, steam will check if files are already there, so it won't take too long.

Great tip that !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    I have backed up the 1C Softclub folders from C drive to an external usb drive, and also my Blitz4.53 folder as well as its clone that was ready for the update, from my D drive. Also my other steam game.
    add remove progs, no steam to select in list, I have Steam on D as D:\Steam so internet said to someone also unable to locate steam, to find and delete the folder, so I did that.
    I do wonder if that removes all the deep settings such as network settings that may be at fault.

I have already backed up the entire folder so as to get at the steamapps and should steam fail on reinstall , paste it back in and be able to play CoD offline and forget about any V5 etc.
    I reboot PC and go to steam and click install steam, download the steamsetup.exe, bugcheck it then run it as admin.
    goes on in a second, says Steam fatal Error Steam needs to be online to update please confirm your network connection and try again.
    Oh hell.

How do I confirm my network connection ?

Internet network connection is working as I just went online to get steam.

why wont steam connect to internet when all other progs I have do so ?

I am win 7 64bit, is Steam now only win10 ?

I DO WONDER BY SIMPLY DELETING A FOLDER IS THAT A PROPER UNINSTALL, DID IT LEAVE BEHIND MAL SETTINGS IN C DRIVE TO DO WITH NETWORKS ?
    trouble was Steam was not in add remove progs. R/C shortcut showed no uninstall. Internet said locate folder and simply delete it.

I have looked into the Steam folder this made, and in there is an uninstall steam, so double click that, hoping it might remove any bits on C drive a simple folder deletion didnt handle, then reboot pc, reinstall Steam again, and yet again I get this network connection message.

Steam was on D drive because it launches CoD from the folder also on D there. Someone here talked us all through how to run the various mods with shortcuts to each one by installing to D. If I find something doesnt look right I can try an earlier mod to see where it went wrong. I need to do likewise with Blitz for my accurate RLM colours. When TF introduced frost supposed to be reflections I reverted to a previous MoD for correct appearance.

I am not fiddling with all those ports I found someones article on and break a perfectly good pc.
    If folk install Steam, do they have to ring their ISP and alter all their ports ? No they dont. Mine are as they came and I never touch them as I dont fiddle if it works., all works fine for all my progs and internet and emails.

Virgin media wont have a clue about steam, but I fear its now to be the minnions there after a 1hour wait, and languages I cant understand., and get cut off after 5 mins as happens again and again, especially if they struggle with a fix, conveniently the line gets cut off.
    Experiencing this again and again.

Having tried everything the internet says to fix Steam, and if all else fails a reinstall will solve it they say, but alas NOT HERE.... this is not looking good. 1 day and got nowhere.

I made this a separate thread as it may prove useful to others and also would have messed up the focus of that one on how to install CoD, this is how to install Steam, best kept well apart, else muddle and cross talk and cross/confusion reigns.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jan-23-2021 at 20:09.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Well that was a nightmare !
    several attempts and no joy. including ticking green the networks options beside all the steam progs (several) in kaspersky Internet Security, which filled me with hope, but still failure.

so try for install to C drive, and it ran ! Why wouldnt it run when installed to D drive ?

but now very bad news...
    so now to update my blitz, however, unlike what was said above, there was no update option showing. its all desert and more desert.

two at left in library :-
    IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover
    IL-2 Sturmovick Cliffs of Dover Blitz

so select IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover, click install
    it asks for a location for the actual sim, and as I have them on D drive, vanilla in D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover_0_original, and Blitz in D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz, and other mods suffix mod number (for backwards testing)

I give it D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover.
    it installs, the only way to play it is the big green button, do that., it plays. all controls everything all settings lost !

then to SAME ADDRESS to update vanilla to Blitz, install the blitz one.,

play it with green button., also all settings etc lost.

look into that folder and WHAT ??? where is paint schemes folder, where is missions folder ?,
    its all several folders drill down, are two folders the dover and the dover blitz, yet it should be one click inside the folder I made on D drive.

it ignored the address and buried it deep inside a folder also called IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

so how do I get this back where it should be,
    paintschemes being
    D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz\paint schemes

such that it will launch when I double click the start icon it made on my desktop.

AND NOW THE PC WONT SHUT DOWN, EVEN WITH FORCE SHUTDOWN, DAMN STEAM

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jan-23-2021 at 23:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

You need to have the documents folder in place (once Steam Cloud is disabled), for Blitz and Vanilla its named like this "\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" - no "Blitz" or anything there.
    Don't forget to disable "Steam Cloud", if it's enabled, it will do a a seperate savegame folder (saved controls) and will load it independently of the one in the documents, I already said this.
    Controls from the Steam mod or Vanilla do not work with Blitz.
    Whatever directory you choose the game to install, it will be always be inside a "\steamapps\common" folder.
    Put your skins and missions there.
    But to be honest, if you place the paintschemes and missions into the documents folder, they will load faster.
    If you put and old version into place and press "install", obviously steam will try to update upon installation, not sure if you did that, but if you want to keep the old version, don't "install" them.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Jan-24-2021 at 01:49.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    So just download a new steam client to make it work.
    Did that to D where faulty Steam lived. it still wouldnt work. I went into Kaspersky , though no internet pages said of this clever move and saw red dots against steam under network, so ticked them all, alas even after reboot no joy, still said network fault.
    Had to try to uninstall but add remove progs didnt show it, as mentioned, after a new install I then used the uninstall icon in folder Steam, I then had to aim Steam Client install to C drive.
    AND IT UPDATED.  so no need to disable firewall and risk PC.
    Trouble is now the PC wont shut down having done that, it refuses, even with force shut down, only if I end task steam will it allow PC shutdown.
    I cannot be having that, PC worked fine before Steam installed to C. many years it was on D and went online no problem, then had to do offline due to the mentioned attack on TF mods by a change Steam made for everyone. No liaison with TF. Never sure of how that got fixed.
    [B][U]Will need to rip steam off, I will reinstate the C drive backup I did, to be sure I have removed any nasties Steam caused, but then what ?
    We know it wont update if on D.
    I am stumped, don’t know what to do now. HELP !!!
    If it won't update the old version and you have to uninstall, before uninstalling, just rename your whole "Steam" folder with the games in it.
    Did that saved out to usb HDD.
    oops forgot that as being talked through this at pace. Would the fact they came from a D drive install matter ? would not doing that account for Steam messing up shutdown ?
    Part 2..Now we are at the Steam interface…
    Steam installed to C showed no update option, in my library was only a fresh download, so I gave it a new folder D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover to install to,
    but unlike my others of that name it placed the files and folders deep down inside, within a folder 'common'.
    Whatever directory you choose the game to install, it will always be inside a "\steamapps\common" folder.
    Why ? my previous installs were straight into the folder I gave, never buried deep inside.
    Is this new practice by Steam, to install CoD Blitz deep inside the named folder than into the folder root as in past installs ?

But they were on D and it didn’t.
    I looked around for an update blitz option but all I saw was loads of desert stuff. I selected the plain CoD version in library, clicked install, being told by CoD friend it would need that one first to then update to Blitz.
    it then wanted a new folder, it was suggesting C drive as well, which I expected as is common practice. It only looked on C I presumed.

I created D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover for it by using its new folder option, and install began.
    If I had selected an existing D drive CoD Blitz folder would it then have offered an update option on the steam interface, something saying click here to update Blitz ?
    IMPORTANT THIS AS FOLK WITH BLITZ WONT WANT A NEW INSTALL BURIED DEEP.
    With install to C of Steam it wouldn’t know CoD Blitz was on D.
    If you put and old version into place and press "install", obviously steam will try to update upon installation, not sure if you did that, but if you want to keep the old version, don't "install" them.
    By that do you mean if I point the Blitz version from library after clicking install to my existing D drive Blitz folder, it would then enter update mode. ?
    I was expecting to see an update option as Desert war has , each DW update is with a number on it.
    So if I had selected my existing D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz folder for the install, WOULD STEAM HAVE RETAINED THE FACT THAT THE FOLDERS SUCH AS PAINT SCHEMES LIVE IMMEDIATELY INSIDE or would it have placed them further doen inside as it did on the new install in ‘common’ etc. ?
    I had by the way copied the Blitz folder also to D, then suffixed its source as BlitzV4.53, and tested both for flight, removing suffix to do so each time. To avoid losing it to Steam.
    You need to have the documents folder in place (once Steam Cloud is disabled), for Blitz and Vanilla its named like this "\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover" - no "Blitz" or anything there.
    yes I had that there.
    Don't forget to disable "Steam Cloud", if it's enabled, it will do a a seperate savegame folder (saved controls) and will load it independently of the one in the documents, I already said this.
    at 4am and hours of hell I overlooked that, understandably, as I was being talked through what to do by a friend (CoD user) and looking outside of the interface wasn’t possible in the fast paced talkthrough and panic.

Controls from the Steam mod or Vanilla do not work with Blitz.
    Is there a backed up file I can paste in to bring back all my controls and keyboard settings or do WE Blitz users have to redo everything all over again ?
    Previous mods inc 4.53 have always brought them in from existing CoD.

In summary I cant have Steam on C, and it wont run on D.
    I should have selected existing D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz after selecting from Library IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz and selecting install.
    It would have updated it rather than install new deep into a new folder of same name.
    All is no use if I cant get Steam to run though on D, or C and not F up my PC shutdown.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Trouble is now the PC wont shut down having done that, it refuses, even with force shut down, only if I end task steam will it allow PC shutdown.

...SNIP...

In summary I cant have Steam on C, and it wont run on D.
    Seems to me that you are barking at the wrong tree by asking for help in this forum. You should be contacting Steam support for these issues.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi, thanks,,
    will they know of the way Blitz ends up deep inside a folder, and how to get Steam to recognise installs to D:\Blitz ?

also the big one, pc shutdown., definitely thats their territory., but the other CoD stuff I didnt immediately think of them.

I will try for them, how good are that at knowing about CoD andresponding ?

Do I need to be online with Steam to do so as I need to revert my PC back to functional which means steam only works offline again.

Its a catch 22 situation, or can one get hold of them outside of steam ?
    as would be vital if steam wont work !

will they know how to bring across my control settings or is there a file to copy across from my backup ?

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Seems to me that you are barking at the wrong tree by asking for help in this forum. You should be contacting Steam support for these issues.
    BOBC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Hi, thanks,,
    will they know of the way Blitz ends up deep inside a folder, and how to get Steam to recognise installs to D:\Blitz ?

also the big one, pc shutdown., definitely thats their territory., but the other CoD stuff I didnt immediately think of them.

I will try for them, how good are that at knowing about CoD andresponding ?

Do I need to be online with Steam to do so as I need to revert my PC back to functional which means steam only works offline again.

Its a catch 22 situation, or can one get hold of them outside of steam ?
    as would be vital if steam wont work !

will they know how to bring across my control settings or is there a file to copy across from my backup ?

BOBC.
    They will be aware of all issues relalated to the official TFS/Steam release candidate of the game.

Talk to them.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Did you do a hard shutdown yet and it still wouldn't shut down normally?
    To be honest, it sounds very much like you messed up the uninstall of Steam, you should've uninstalled it with the remove programm properly, not just delete files.
    Theres no way how you would uninstall them and still not be able to make Steam work with a fresh downloaded client. Did you actually downloaded a fresh Steam from the Internet?

If you really did uninstall Steam with windows, (Btw I am using Win7 still no problems with Steam) and afterwards also removed leftovers, there really shouldn't be any problems.
    The last problem can only be leftover registry files, but I think that's highly unlikely and I surely don't want you to talk through that stuff, as it can wreck your computer if done wrong.

If games are in place inside the directory you pointed upon "install" and inside there in "steamapps\common", they get recognized and updated.
    If not, steam won't do anything. Why do you ask me if Steam recognizes folders outside of the directories it has listed? Directories are shown in "steam -> settings -> downloads" section
    And if directory is named like game, it's not appropriate as all games can be installed in there. You don't want DCS or so inside "CloD" folder do you?
    Everything else had been said, but don't ask me "why" stuff is like it is when it doesn't matter and don't answer me to this statement either.

First get Steam working, if Steam works or not is not a CloD problem.
    About controls, I already said how to get controls working why do you keep asking again the same thing?
    Rather do them freshly and remove documents folder to avoid issues there and get to know new controls. Don't ask me now about controls, just look at it once you are there.

At some point it seems to me that you messed your whole windows 7 up.
    After everything, it sounds like you got more issues with other stuff aswell and not just Steam or CloD.
    Maybe it's worth for you to do a fresh new windows install.
    Get Steam, do not point directories towards a folder named like your game.
    Run your game, close it then put your paintschemes and missions inside the mentioned documents folder and you should be free to go.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Jan-24-2021 at 17:00.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Did you do a hard shutdown yet and it still wouldn't shut down normally?
    PC woulsnt shit down, had to end task steam, today same thing booted up ok steam no warnings, connected to steam, sent support request,.
    start> shutdown, hung,force shutdown nothing, had to end task steam.

To be honest, it sounds very much like you messed up the uninstall of Steam, you should've uninstalled it with the remove programm properly, not just delete files.
    I went to add rem progs as I always do, it wasnt there, internet said when that happens delete the folder, so did that.

Theres no way how you would uninstall them and still not be able to make Steam work with a fresh downloaded client. Did you actually downloaded a fresh Steam from the Internet?
    yes went to steam site using google and selected steam client, it downloaded a exe file which I bug checked, put into a folder then ran it as admin, as I always do all my progs. aimed it D drive, goes on in a few secs, clicked run and steam fault it said network etc.

If you really did uninstall Steam with windows, (Btw I am using Win7 still no problems with Steam) and afterwards also removed leftovers, there really shouldn't be any problems.
    The last problem can only be leftover registry files, but I think that's highly unlikely and I surely don't want you to talk through that stuff, as it can wreck your computer if done wrong.
    yes registry bad place , last resort,. how do I get at the bits it left behind ?
    best I reinstate C from backup made., then get steam to tell me how to remove steam if its not in add rem progs.

How should I have uninstalled Steam if it wasnt showing in add rem progs ? (it was sitting in D:\Steam) had always worked fine, then I went offline for a year or so ever since Steam messed up CoD for you guys, I saw mention and I acted just in time. when I selected steam go online it wouldnt/couldnt. Kaspersky had red blobbed steam but after ticking them it still failed.

I have asked steam why the install is different now to in the past, where my game folders such as launcher.exe, paintschemes and mission were at root of install folder.

At some point it seems to me that you messed your whole windows 7 up.
    After everything, it sounds like you got more issues with other stuff as well and not just Steam or CloD.
    entire PC never ever has problems, ever. this is first ever. All works perfectly, until steam fiasco.
    I back up PC before installing anything and revert to backup if anything is not satisfactory. Very cautious and careful with my PC. Beenm with PCs sinmce win 3.1, built a few, had to maintain my own, good job as covid nuked all visits, some folk must be in a pickle now. Everything is logged, all settings during install, any nasties given a deaths head symbol, experiment to see why , then I reinstate the backup (Acronis) and do what I have found works, or bin the idea of the prog. MAC progs are vetted, PC anyone can make anything and not test for compatability.

Maybe it's worth for you to do a fresh new windows install.
    no need, revert to healthy backup. else 150 progs to reinstall.

Get Steam, do not point directories towards a folder named like your game.
    I need clarification, do you mean dont select existing Blitz folder on D drive when installing Blitz V5 ? surely thats how it would update it as was desired.
    That leaves me with what I did, though I should have called the folder a non game name before installing to it. , but if I dont name it to reflect whats in it, when all my game folders are named as per the games, its a little unsettling to have a folder with a non game name with a game inside.

Run your game, close it then put your paintschemes and missions inside the mentioned documents folder and you should be free to go.
    I need to get steam working on PC, it lived on D and worked. on C it screw up PC.

See what they say, meanwhile I am putting acronis back up back on.
    Tonight I have flown my accurate skins in v5 to at least have a record of how they will look before reverting PC to v4.53 and comparing them.
    Cockpit shadows almost black, cant see much in them, were perfect in 4.53,.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Tonight I have flown my accurate skins in v5 to at least have a record of how they will look before reverting PC to v4.53 and comparing them.
    Cockpit shadows almost black, cant see much in them, were perfect in 4.53,.

BOBC
    Don't forget to delete the cache file.

A reminder:

- TF does not support older versions of the game, including the original CLIFFS OF DOVER or any mod versions prior to BLITZ. And Steam does not either.

- TF current versions require Steam to be updated.

If you want to play around with the early versions, you are on your own.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Jan-24-2021 at 21:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

How should I have uninstalled Steam if it wasnt showing in add rem progs ? (it was sitting in D:\Steam) had always worked fine, then I went offline for a year or so ever since Steam messed up CoD for you guys, I saw mention and I acted just in time. when I selected steam go online it wouldnt/couldnt. Kaspersky had red blobbed steam but after ticking them it still failed.
    Good question, how did it remove itself from the list in first place?
    Steam is in the list on my end.
    See here how to manually remove steam with registry:
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...elect%20Delete.
    Don't tell me you couldn't find this on steam.

no need, revert to healthy backup. else 150 progs to reinstall.
    Do you use them all at the same time?
    I need clarification, do you mean dont select existing Blitz folder on D drive when installing Blitz V5 ? surely thats how it would update it as was desired.
    That leaves me with what I did, though I should have called the folder a non game name before installing to it. , but if I dont name it to reflect whats in it, when all my game folders are named as per the games, its a little unsettling to have a folder with a non game name with a game inside.
    If games are in place inside the directory you pointed upon "install" and inside there in "steamapps\common", they get recognized and updated.
    If not, steam won't do anything. Why do you ask me if Steam recognizes folders outside of the directories it has listed? Directories are shown in "steam -> settings -> downloads" section
    And if directory is named like game, it's not appropriate as all games can be installed in there. You don't want DCS or so inside "CloD" folder do you?
    Everything else had been said, but don't ask me "why" stuff is like it is when it doesn't matter and don't answer me to this statement either.
    That's how your folder with Blitz should be called, at any directory you point it towards to and want to have it and want to use it with steam:
    "steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz"
    Last edited by Tibsun; Jan-25-2021 at 00:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

You have a backup of your games folder.

Go to the control panel, select apps and uninstall Steam the correct way.

Now download cleaner.

Launch it and choose clean registry.

Let it analyse the mess left in there.

Choose "Fix All".

It will ask you if you want to backup your registry before fix registry. Choose yes and back up to the default location which is usually My Documents.

Once you choose fix all it will clean a load of junk out of your registry.

Repeat this 3 times, backing up each time.

Now reinstall Steam.

That should fix it.

Cheers.
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Now download cleaner.
    I think MP means Ccleaner

I got advised by the tech team at work not to use this... I dont recall why now but i stil use it on occasion on my gaming PC.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Yes CCleaner, never had an issue with it
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas, Stormrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Yes CCleaner, never had an issue with it
    Me neither !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

CCleaner is my favorite cleanup utility, but the user needs to read about what the features do on the http://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner website. My major uses are the Registry cleaner and the uninstaller.

Registry cleaner is quite safe as long as you save the removed registry items (as prompted by the program) to a folder of your choice. If you find you have removed a necessary item, you can then put things back where you started.

Uninstaller is like using the Windows Control Panel but claims to also clean up some items that may be left over from a routine WCP delete. It has always worked well for me.

Health check and some other features may remove cookies from the system. If this happens, you'll need to input some user names and passwords that used to be automatic. A good example is this ATAG forum. You'll have to log in and tell the forum to remember you and your password to restore automatic forum log on in the future. It's just a short term nuisance, and it will also happen on other websites with auto log on features after their cookies are removed.

Good product!
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-27-2021 at 10:08.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

24. Likes ATAG_JackMaxx, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

CCleaner gets my vote.

Good free product.
    Never had any issues.
    Part of my regular scrub routine.
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the tips.
    I have been with PCs since win 3.1, anyone remember the true floppy discs ?
    Golden rule, mine anyway, from bitter experience, and if I have to dabble in registry, i am bloody careful..is dont !
    I back up PC when everything is healthy, using Acronis True Image Home to an external usb_HDD. then verify the backup with Acronis.
    many moons ago Norton Ghost was the choice, that was good as one could access the folders in the backup., then norton messed up and we had to look elsewhere.
    Never ever rely on a system restore point, I did just the once when told would be fine, and some nasty happened to C drive and destroyed the restore point file as well, meant an entire rebuild. Never again.
    I dont save any user files to C, if I can avoid it, as reinstating C drive loses anything since the backup. 1cSoftclub gets backed up every so often and just before anything to do with CoD !
    After the Acronis backup of C is made (and it runs in pre windows bootup mode from a CD) , I then install the potentially dicey prog, and test various progs, reboot etc etc, check is fine, if not ok, reinstate C drive to how it was with the backup, I keep a few previous ones as well.
    I have some old progs that maybe might not be understood by a cleaner, if it was programmed after they were last made.
    If I am asked to make decisions when using a registry cleaner then I may not know what to select.

I will certainly bear it in mind should I need to fix registry.

Now mostly good news eventually with Steam after a week of this and that.

Prior to attempting Blitz update to 5.015 I sensibly backed up 1CSoftclub from C drive as well as D:\Steam and D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz to an usb_HDD
    to rid myself of PC shutdown failure and any bits of steam left behind with the ill advised deleted steam folder, I reinstated C drive.
    PC now shuts down fine.
    I reset Kaspersky to approve of Valve and all steams under it. checked with Steam website anything else in Kaspersky to check, and of course their article didnt match the current Kaspersky interface after getting so far through it, but a bit of navigating around found it seemed to be ok.
    reboot PC (always do that , sod advice not to !)
    try steam and it connected to the internet ! BINGO.

Now I already had a new Blitz download to the folder D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Tibsun, perhaps your advice was to avoid overlong file names, 255 chars I think is the rule, but now steam has that address in its braincells so I am stuck with it !

So in there lives Blitz 5.015 and my desktop shortcut it made runs it.

I still had Blitz 4.53 in the D:\Steam location
    I set Steam to offline to avoid it updating that, as I do/must also fly 4.53 just in case 5.015 doesnt make my skins look ok, or does something to what are photo-realistic aircraft., or causes me other problems, I can see if they existed before.

yet it then said updating Blitz, eeeek !!! clicked the X on the panel, yet hard drive chuntering away, and , bugger, it updated 4.53 there as well !

I then copied it out to my usb_HDD then copied in the 4.53 from my D:\Steam backup and , if I d/click the launcher of that one, it runs 4.53, the desktop shortcut doesnt run it, yet it used to, anyone know why ?
    I think its because its been created for the D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover location of Blitz 5.015 , the new install that I did, as it cant be for both locations can it.

I set it to offline again. d/click the shortcut it had placed on desktop, and it says error, unable to update, and nothing launches.

now steam was offline for 2 yrs or so, and Blitz 4.53 ran as such, it used to say 'continue offline' so now it wont.

However if I double click the launcher64.exe it then does launch so I have made a shortcut to that and that works.

That shortcut Steam made originally targets URL steam://rungameid/754530

I would love to know what that does and how it managed to launch 4.53 when steam was set to offline.

where do I look to find a file that has that id ?

In fact how can I tell if a folder is Blitz 4.53 or 5.015 ?

I am in touch with Steam but not getting anything that solves anything, anything that works is due to my persistence.

At least I have old and new Blitz to compare and fly, even if the desktop shortcut fails and Steam insists on update or denial.
    I just dont want it updating D:\Steams folder inside for 4.53, only 5.015 in the D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover folder.
    I hope the offline setting holds firm now.

I have made another backup of D:\Steam just in case !

Si I can run 4.53 and 5.015 I have cloned the folder in C drives 1C Softclub and suffixed it with 4.53 and 5.015, removing whichever I am flying to avoid corruption and keep the screen shots apart from both.

If there was a way of keeping the suffixes and having 5.015 write to the suffix 5.015 and 4.54 write to the 4.53 suffix that would make life easier.
    I must be able to fly both, and I am seeing things that might see me stay with 4.53 until they are fixed.

BOBC
    Last edited by BOBC; Jan-30-2021 at 18:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

That shortcut Steam made originally targets URL steam://rungameid/754530
    It is the game id of Blitz in steam, steam will obviously open the game in steam, which is probably the most latest version.

In fact how can I tell if a folder is Blitz 4.53 or 5.015 ?
    Rename the old one by adding the version number to the end.
    Don't rename the latest one, it always will be the latest version - you have to expect that this one is your latest version.
    Once another update is available you may name it with it's version and get the newer version. To avoid steam to auto update, change your steam update policy then....