Thread: Endless barrel rolls with AI

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    13.04 MB

Endless barrel rolls with AI

Gents-
    Is there perhaps a specific switch in the AI menu of the FMB to discourage the endless, wild barrel rolls the AI perform while dogfighting?
    It seems that as soon as the AI senses I am aft of their 3-9 line, they become as fervent as a whirling Dervish. IRL I have no doubt they would leave their food under such gestures.
    While I do appreciate a challenge, I despair that I will land even a few hits with these aerial mixmasters. I don't want to dumb the AI down too severely; just lessen the frequency of the incessant rolling.
    Any advice on how to do so would be much appreciated.
    Happy flying !
    ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 PC
    Intel Z390 Chipset
    Intel 8-Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz
    Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6
    2TB 7200RPM HDD
    1TB Solid State Drive
    64GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM
    850W PS
    Windows 10 Gaming Desktop

In honor of Arlie "Jack" Campbell, (1923-2006), United States Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done, Sir.

2. Likes Kendy for the State liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Endless barrel rolls with AI

In FMB play with the Basic and Advanced Flight sliders, may help at some extends.

My advice is never use the lower and the maximum values in this sliders, both produce nasty results.

BTW - latest patches allegedly have improved this behavior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    13.04 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    In FMB play with the Basic and Advanced Flight sliders, may help at some extends.

My advice is never use the lower and the maximum values in this sliders, both produce nasty results.

BTW - latest patches allegedly have improved this behavior.
    Thanks- I'll have another look at the sliders.
    I am patched up, so no joy there.
    ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 PC
    Intel Z390 Chipset
    Intel 8-Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz
    Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB GDDR6
    2TB 7200RPM HDD
    1TB Solid State Drive
    64GB DDR4 2666 SDRAM
    850W PS
    Windows 10 Gaming Desktop

In honor of Arlie "Jack" Campbell, (1923-2006), United States Army Air Forces, WWII. Well done, Sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    430.8 KB

Not all aircraft do the same crazy rolls, from my experience 109s are the masters in this area. As soon as you get behind them they will happily roll all the way to the ground.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    153.35 MB

I've made an SP mission for testing purposes; containing among others a flight of AI Blenheim bombers. They do suddenly barrel rolls too. Looks very crazy.
    From what I could recognize, they do that before they reach the last standard/cruise waypoint, the next waypoint on their way is the attack/bomb point.
    Maybe I've set the speed not optimal for this plane or created too few waypoints at all and they're trying to 'airbrake' in this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by von Graf View Post
    I've made an SP mission for testing purposes; containing among others a flight of AI Blenheim bombers. They do suddenly barrel rolls too. Looks very crazy.
    From what I could recognize, they do that before they reach the last standard/cruise waypoint, the next waypoint on their way is the attack/bomb point.
    Maybe I've set the speed not optimal for this plane or created too few waypoints at all and they're trying to 'airbrake' in this way.
    Important you set the aircraft speeds, climbs and other waypoint objectives to achieveable goals for that aircraft type.

So don't have your aircraft flight drop too much altitude between waypoints... otherwise the aircraft will start behaving weirdly.... or try to have them gain too much altitude... or set the speed too high... etc.

When approaching a target, line it up so that the flight has plenty of time to set up their bomb run.

8. Likes von Graf liked this post