Thread: Another Day

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Another Day

Another day of not being able to get off the ground. I thought I had cracked it with binding most controls to joystick or keyboard for the start up on my Wellington and engine 1 was running quite sweetly. Then I found myself unable to start engine 2! I guess this sim is an accurate portrayal of what happened in real life after a few hours of resetting all my controls I look forward to another go tomorrow.

By the way, having joined ATAG are we supposed to append ATAG to our username as in ATAG_AOB?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    634.51 MB

Re: Another Day

Hi,
    I did not fly Wellington, but there is no difference from the other twin engines: select engine 2 and proceed as in number 1.
    First come ,last left
    My rig : Win 10 pro 64 bit; Mb Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO ,I5 11400F @4,2GHz,gc,GIGABYTE RTX 3070 TI 8 Gb,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR4 ,SSD Transcend 240 Gb, Gigabyte G32QC ,VKB Gladiator Pro,MMJOY2 home made pedals and gas , TrackIR 5. Steam ID: YR-DAN

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    536.62 MB

Hi AOB,

Yep, getting started on the Wellington can be very frustrating initially. Maybe you've done this, but just in case you haven't...Flashcards on startup procedure are available in the following location:
    • Open your Steam Library, and right click on IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz > Manage > Browse local files
    • This will take you to: Steamapps > common > IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz > manuals > aircraft
    • Open the pdf 'Flashcards All Aircraft-en' and find the card with the startup procedure for the Wellington. Follow these steps carefully - it took me a few goes to get it right too.

Make sure that you remember to select 'both engines' once engines 1 & 2 have reached 30 degrees.

I've been flying the Wellington for about 5 weeks now, and I still make errors every now and then, particularly when under pressure.

There is also a video tutorial on the Welli in which ATAG_Pattle and ATAG_Ezzie, the chap who wrote the flashcard on the Welli, go through the startup and put a number of us newcomers through our paces. Worth a look if you haven't already checked it out.
    https://youtu.be/wfm_FuBtadI

We can have a look at key bindings, the startup sequence and getting off the ground at our Monday practise session. It is very rewarding when it all begins to come together. Oh, and re the ATAG prefix, no, it's not necessary. Your existing user name is fine.

The best of luck over the next few days. Catch up with you in the Teamspeak Lobby on Monday evening.

Cheers,
    Bubba
    ATAG_Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Hi AOB,

I've used the start up procedure from the Wellington Flashcard for you......there is also the video tutorial provided.....if you follow this,it'll get you off the ground old chap.....hopefully

As Bubba,I too have only been flying the Wellington for about 4-5 weeks,so many of us are new to the Wimpy mate.

Meaks

PS The numbers in brackets relate to the pictures in the Flashcard that have the cockpit controls laid out with numerical identification.

Starting, taxi, and take-off procedures
    1. Apply chocks
    2. Set fuel tank selector 1 and 2 to ‘On’ (1)
    3. Select both engines (default)
    4. Set magnetos to ‘On’ (2), mixture to ‘Full’ (100%) (3) and prop pitch to ‘Fine’ (100%) (4)
    5. Set supercharger to ‘Medium’ (0%) (5) and set carburettor heat (6) to ‘Cold’. Set throttle to approx. 10%
    open (7)
    6. Select engine 1 and start it. Repeat with engine 2 (‘i’ by default)
    7. Once engine temperature reaches approx. 30°C (8) select both engines
    8. Throttle up and observe RPMs to ensure both engines are in sync. Throttle back to 0% (7)
    9. Select 15° (0.2 on indicator) of flaps (9) and open cowling flaps to approx. 1/3 open position (10)
    10. Remove chocks, release breaks, slowly apply throttle and carefully use differential brakes and then rudder.
    Will easily tip on nose due to excessive braking
    11. When ready for take-off increase throttle to 100% (7) using rudder to keep aircraft straight. See table below
    for maximum take-off RPM (11) and boost settings (12)
    12. Once 80 mph (13) is reached ease back on control column and raise undercarriage (14). Don’t let speed get
    to 120 mph with gear still down
    13. Open cowling flaps to 100% (10). Once 125 mph (13) is reached adjust pitch (4) and throttle (7) to achieve
    climbing RPM and boost settings – see table
    14. At 600-800 ft (15) fully raise flaps (9) and adjust cowling flaps (10) to maintain desired engine temperatures
    15. Maintain 125 mph and climb to 12000 ft, set superchargers to ‘Full’ (highest setting) (5) at 8000 ft (15)

Last edited by Meaks; Jan-28-2021 at 03:38.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Hi there,

the flashcards are also availabe in game, under 'Extras' > 'Manuals'.

If you can't start only one of two engines, maybe you forgot to open the respective fuel tank.
    There might be other reasons, as too much or too little throttle on this engine etc.

Being part of the team that created the flashcards, I still have to say: the very best method to flatten the learning curve and to avoid frustration is to go online and on Teamspeak and have someone leading you through the procedure.
    We all once were beginners (many of us not very long ago) and everybody will be eager to help!

S!

DerDa

6. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AOB View Post
    By the way, having joined ATAG are we supposed to append ATAG to our username as in ATAG_AOB?
    Nope. That tag does not represent where you post or play but that you are member of the ATAG "squadron".
    You will see many members that have a tag as part of their name. This represents the virtual squadron they belong to.

Regarding taking off, practice, practice, practice

8. Likes ATAG_Knight, ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.71 MB

Thanks guys. I have no idea why I am having so much trouble. I have at least 650 hours in my other sim. Maybe that is the problem, overconfidence. Maybe I should start with the DH2 and then the 109 then the 110 before progressing to the welly.

BTW it took me a while to work out that cowling flaps are the same as radiator.
    Last edited by AOB; Jan-28-2021 at 04:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

No...don't give up buddy,the Wimpy is a fine aircraft to learn on,and we've all made simliar mistakes/errors it just takes a little application,if your struggling on the take off,have a look below.I created a little tutorial for new Wimpy pilots for making the perfect take off....not that I'm in anyway an expert,but this might help.

Basically the trick here is to take a very low and straight trajectory out of the airfield,don't in anyway just take off and climb before your speed is at least 130mph....you will stall,ensure your speed achieves this 130mph plus,before climbing or turning......I can't emphasize this enough.

LINK HERE:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=34706
    Last edited by Meaks; Jan-28-2021 at 05:08.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AOB View Post
    Thanks guys. I have no idea why I am having so much trouble. I have at least 650 hours in my other sim. Maybe that is the problem, overconfidence. Maybe I should start with the DH2 and then the 109 then the 110 before progressing to the welly.

BTW it took me a while to work out that cowling flaps are the same as radiator.
    The engines of the Wellington are air-cooled radial engines, so they don't have 'radiators'. You just open or close the cowlings to increase or decrease the airflow.

DH2, Me 109 and 110 is not a really advisable succession of planes for learning the Wimpy. The moth is quite different to anything else and the German aircraft are rather different than the British. The difference to other sims is, that in CloD these differences are simulated. Planes are different to handle and they 'feel' very different when flying, just as in reality (one of the reasons I love this game!)
    Maybe the most 'simple' red aircraft is the Hurricane (the Stuka on the blue side of things).

But again:
    nobody in 1940 would have expected a new pilot to climb into a bomber cockpit all alone with nothing but a manual and learn to fly by self-teaching.
    Go online and get yourself an instructor and your frustration will turn into fun in no time!

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_Laser, rontaila liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.76 MB

I would definately agree with derda - dont go via dh/109/110 route. Hurricane and blenheim is much better bet. Spit and beaufighter can pull one side quite hard on take off if you go via them and the German planes have a lot of automation so you wont either get used to juggling prop pitch, throttle, rads or even boost or wont have keys mapped to do so.
    If your other sim is BoX series or original il2 '46, unlike there, in CloD the two engines have to be actually started independently. You can set them up together (in fact its best to do so) prop pitch/mixture and throttle but then have to select engine one to start it (cntrl 1 - I think), then once its running select engine 2 (cntrl 2) to start it, once both running select both (cntrl 0). Key presses are on my setup might not match yours

14. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

If you want to go the hard way, train on the BR 20. If you survive the frustration of this one, then you'll find any other plane easy to start up and fly...

Otherwise and as advised above, just follow the Flashcard thoroughly. They were designed to provide the simplest steps to start the plane, get it in the air, and back. So pay attention to every detail.
    Best way to learn is still to team up with someone on TS, and why not fly together in the same plane where your coach can sit in the copilot seat and guide you through all the steps
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

16. Likes 56RAF_stickz, ATAG_Snapper, rontaila liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

AOB, why not join us (if your schedule permits) at 8:00 pm GMT/UTC today for our Wimpey practice session? I’ll be glad to run through the key assignments, startup, taxiing, takeoff etc etc etc with you. The other fellas will be there, too. As I often say, they can show you what to do, I can show you what NOT to do!

Hey, we’ve all been there, believe me. But it’s worth it. The feeling you get on a successful takeoff, then joining the chaps on a mission is both challenging, rewarding, and a ton of fun. No one takes themselves too seriously, so we frequently have a good laugh at each other’s expense - all in good spirits.

Just hop on Teamspeak and join us in whatever channel you see us.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Jan-28-2021 at 10:50. Reason: Too frequent use of the term frequently.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    9.39 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post
    No...don't give up buddy,the Wimpy is a fine aircraft to learn on,and we've all made simliar mistakes/errors it just takes a little application,if your struggling on the take off,have a look below.I created a little tutorial for new Wimpy pilots for making the perfect take off....not that I'm in anyway an expert,but this might help.

Basically the trick here is to take a very low and straight trajectory out of the airfield,don't in anyway just take off and climb before your speed is at least 130mph....you will stall,ensure your speed achieves this 130mph plus,before climbing or turning......I can't emphasize this enough.

LINK HERE:

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=34706
    This sounds useful but I don't have the necessary privileges to view this page.

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    114.10 MB

Hi AOB
    Dropped you a PM in case you can meet up at w/e 9am GMT (evening Aussie time).

Welli is very sensitive to too much throttle on start up as i found out during several sessions.You just need a smidge. I use the analogue position indicators and have a known mark on the cockpit throttle position but should be no more that 10% if you are using digital.
    Also make sure prop pitch is pushed to full fine as it normally spawns on full coarse.
    Flash cards are excellent so have it to hand and take your time through each step.

Happy to talk you through my settings and how i start up.

We all have our panic moments as I have spent over 10 mins trying to start my engines whilst everybody circled the field in one livestream session.
    Forgetting to turn on fuel cocks is another classic I will admit to.....

Main thing is many of us are happy to talk you through it and we will get you up as the Welli is a beautiful old bird and very stable and easy to fly.
    Keeping tight formation is another matter!
    Win10 x64, i5-10600K CPU @ 4.1GHz, ASUS RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 16GB(DDR4 3600MHz XMP) RAM, Dell 2560x1440 27" 165hz, Microsoft FFB2, Edtracker(wireless).
    Nvidia driver version: 537.58

20. Likes ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Karno View Post

I have sent you a PM Fred,hope this helps

Meaks

22. Likes ATAG_Marlow, Fred Karno, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Hey Fred...I see Meaksy is on the ball and has already sent you a PM to help you out but if I could also suggest:

...if you are free do come and join us in our Welly Training Session tonight at 8.00pm GMT. We are also hoping that AOB and other chaps will be there.

There will be lots of laughs and lots of help and amswers to any questions about the Wimpy or CLoD generally!

Hope you can make it! If you can't, do continue to post problems on this thread and we will do our best to get you answers. Good luck....hope to see you later! Salute!

24. Likes Fred Karno, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

You do now!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

26. Likes Meaks, Fred Karno, ATAG_Marlow, ATAG_Hawk liked this post