Thread: Growling Sidewinder First Impressions video just released!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Growling Sidewinder First Impressions video just released!

Hi All, Growling Sidewinder, one of the worlds leading combat flight sim content creators has just released his first impressions video of Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings Tobruk.

It was a real privilege for Team Fusion Simulations to talk with GS about Cliffs and Tobruk, sharing with him our passion for our sims. He was extremely impressed, which you will see reflected in his video.

Growling sidewinder is giving away a copy of Cliffs/Tobruk as part of this video release. Good luck to all those that enter.

Check out Growling Sidewinders great combat sim videos and his social media channels.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2...Geoh1LlzL3QEwg
    https://twitter.com/GrowlingAim9

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.73 MB

Re: Growling Sidewinder First Impressions video just released!

Thanks for the info. Great review

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.25 GB

He left the G50 out of his review
    Gigabyte Z390 UD | i7 9700K @3.60GHz | 16.0 GB | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pro rudder pedals | TrackIR 5 | TeamSpeak 3.3.2 | TS Notifier 1.6.0h

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Great video review!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

I love especially how he stresses 'the beautiful desert landscape' and the 'challenging ai'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Great stuff, Pat! Another great (and obviously well deserved) review for our favourite sim ....and another coup for you!

However, I still can't understand why so many people are still surprised that the sim is so amazingly good. Why is there so much ignorance about the sim out there? Is it because of the 'dissers' and the nay sayers? What does it take to make these people understand the quality of the product?

One chap in the comments underneath says 'stick to war thunder'...well, if he's only 14..... let's hope he does! Others bang on about VR...... but the overall reaction is of a lot of very impressed people. I'm very much hoping this will lead to a slow but steady increase in sales. Fingers crossed! Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    119.00 MB

Thanks for posting this Pat and thank you GS for the glowing review . Great to see some really good positive feedback for Blitz / Tobruk

However I can't believe some of the comments from viewers regarding " the clickable cockpits " or not knowing that the plane set is based on the time period and theater of the war .

Some guy even wanted to see a Dogfight between a P51 and a Spitfire , really !!! Why not throw in a Mig 17 or an F14 Tomcat and with a bit of VR we could go wing walking to boot .

Horses and water come to mind here and at the end of the day I guess some people just don't get it .

"Rules are put in place for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of fools" - J W Thomas

Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHz , 850w PSU , GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB GPU , 16GB RAM , Acer Predator Z35p Monitor , TrackIR5 , Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S , MGF Crosswind Rudder Pedals .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Knight View Post
    Some guy even wanted to see a Dogfight between a P51 and a Spitfire , really !!! Why not throw in a Mig 17 or an F14 Tomcat and with a bit of VR we could go wing walking to boot .

Horses and water come to mind here and at the end of the day I guess some people just don't get it .
    Growling Sidewinder's content is very DCS focused, this was for all I know his first video on CloD and Tobruk.
    People asking for a P-51 vs Spitfire video are obviously asking him for a DCS video. See his channel and previous "VS" videos for reference.

9. Likes ATAG_Snapper, danperin, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    People asking for a P-51 vs Spitfire video are obviously asking him for a DCS video.
    Yep! And this is what we're up against!

Rather than ignorance it's perhaps a lack of interest in historical accuracy amongst the younger generation? Accuracy is what Cliffs of Dover is all about and I suspect most of us choose it because of that historical accuracy.

Maybe the further away from WWII we travel, the worse this problem will become because the younger generation will find it harder and harder to relate to aircraft of the period? Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Still dont get what the issue is here.
    I cant but repeat myself, Growling Sidewinder does a lot of Versus videos in DCS where he pits 2 aircraft types against each other to see how they fare. Historical accuracy is not a driving factor there. People (me included) enjoy his videos, I don't see how this has something to do with ignorance on anyone's part. Maybe just watch some of his videos before judging.

Also: P-51s and Spitfires did combat each other, though not in WW2 but in the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.

12. Likes ATAG_Snapper, AKA_Blasto, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karaya View Post
    Still dont get what the issue is here.
    I cant but repeat myself, Growling Sidewinder does a lot of Versus videos in DCS where he pits 2 aircraft types against each other to see how they fare. Historical accuracy is not a driving factor there. People (me included) enjoy his videos, I don't see how this has something to do with ignorance on anyone's part. Maybe just watch some of his videos before judging.

Also: P-51s and Spitfires did combat each other, though not in WW2 but in the 1948 Arab-Israeli war.
    Marlow said "rather than ignorance" He wasn't suggesting ignorance.

I don't think there is an issue here. Certainly none that I can see.

It's a cool think that its out there being bigged up by others in the community for sure !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Some good perspectives from you both.

I, too, am unfamiliar with GS’ (and his followers’) background, so I have some research to do of the most interesting kind - reviewing his previous videos.

His video review does not mention the fastidious adherence to historical detail that both Blitz and Tobruk hold, so his followers wouldn’t understand the nature of and reason for the plane set. Hence their questions about aircraft not from the time periods depicted, nor the theatres presented. I shared Marlow’s thought that some of the questions were a little odd re opponent pairings, but I now see where these chaps are coming from.

I see this as a very, very good thing. Fresh meat! Many of his followers have clearly never heard of Cliffs of Dover, or thought it was just a BoX module. Many seemed very interested nonetheless, especially with the mention of the interactive cockpits and other features. I have no doubt more than a few will add Blitz to their Steam Library. Once they get a taste and have a peek at what Tobruk has further to offer, some will likely plunk down the King’s shilling to add DWT to their collection. We stand ready!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Feb-04-2021 at 11:42. Reason: I had misspelled peek in a fit of pique.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    I see this as a very, very good thing. Fresh meat! Many of his followers have clearly never heard of Cliffs of Dover, or thought it was just a BoX module.
    Yes, this is a very important thing: Getting some exposure for CloD amongst people who have never heard of the thing before.
    It wouldn't be much use if, for example, I do a video review of Tobruk as most people who visit my channel are already more than familiar with CloD. GS's viewer base has a mostly jet-sim related background with parts of it maybe having dipped their toes into the DCS warbird modules at some point.

For the same reasons I think it was a very good thing to get Wolfpack to do videos on CloD and Tobruk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Too right !

The clickable cockpits seems to be a very prvelent wow factor in the comments.

Some really great enthusiams and dare I say it surprise !

All good stuff.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

17. Likes ATAG_Snapper, ATAG_JackMaxx, danperin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Me too, I was astonished, about what people who are obviously flight simmers, don't know.

I had the impression that many of the commentors do not realise that sim he is talking about is not Il2 1946 or a souped up version of this.
    Or that it is different from BoX or that both are not Il2 1946.
    Then naturally there are those who can't understand why no Il2 aircraft is shown ...

I greatly admire the patience and friendliness of the TFS guys answering there!

The splitting of the community started with the different mods of 1946. Already then you could see, that for a considerable number of players there is only one thing that is 'THE RIGHT ONE' and everything else has to be rubbish.
    From reason and evaluating it went to believe and fanatism. And there were no longer different opinions but the 'good' and the 'bad' (and the ugly one, but let's not talk about me).

Then the community split up into those playing CloD, BoX, DCS and Warthunder and the like.
    Now, it seems to me that these old hands, with their fixed opinions, believes and prejudices influenced a lot of new players just to stay inside their little bubble and never try out all those other 'bad' sims.
    So, to answer Marlow's question several post above: yes, I think the 'haters' and 'nay-sayers' are to blame and they are doing a very bad job for all of the community.
    Last edited by DerDa; Feb-04-2021 at 13:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Snapper, Karaya and DerDa are all bang on!

We need as many sim pilots as possible to 'dip their toes into the CLod' world..... and we can encourage that by being the most supportive, open minded and friendly Community around, coupled to a superb product. TFS have already provided us with the latter and we are all beavoring away at the former. Hopefully, we can't lose!

(However, I do sometimes wish we had a bigger 'corperate machine' to 'push' the product as hard DCS and Microsoft can) Salute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

You're so right Marlow,now I've been around the block more times than I care to mention,I have tried them all DCS,Microsoft....I even lowered my high standards and even tried that thing they call Warthunder,yes,God forbid....but I always come back to Cliffs,and the reason why.....well,let's face it,it's so bloody good is'nt it ?....clickable cockpits,realistc maps,adjustable convergence,fuel and payload,but the thing that grabs me are the realistic flight models.

They give the sense of realistic flight,for me,take for instance our superb TFS Wellington,IMHO they've got the flight model near perfect....Now,I have to state at this juncture,I have never flown the real thing,lol....but for me,and I expect many like me,it gives the idea of a very heavy,weight laden aircraft.It ticks all of my boxes,I can tell you....and while I have never flown a real Wellington,the TFS flyable Wellington,more than exudes the realism of a heavy aircraft.

In fact the closest I personally ever got to using heavy equipment,was driving fire engines,hydraulic platforms and turntable ladder vehicles for the fire service....lol,not quite in the same vein as flying Wellingtons,Hurricanes or Spitfires I'm sure,but you got the impression of practical,heavy transport,if you get my drift.
    Last edited by Meaks; Feb-04-2021 at 14:17.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Meaks View Post
    IMHO they've got the flight model near perfect....Now,I have to state at this juncture,I have never flown the real thing,lol....but for me,and I expect many like me,it gives the idea of a very heavy,weight laden aircraft.It ticks all of my boxes,I can tell you....and while I have never flown a real Wellington,the TFS flyable,more than exudes the realism of a heavy aircraft......top stuff chaps.
    Yep.

I have a few hours rotary flight in real life. Though many years ago now. Never atcually flown fixed wing !!

but.

playing all the sim offerings back to back.

Cliffs just stands out for me as head and shoulders above the rest for feeling like you are actually there.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals