Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Fying the P40

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    818.69 MB

Re: Fying the P40

Nice find.....don't fly it that much so had to go and take one up right away...........as my IQ drops more than half when I get into a warbird.
    There's something good waitin' down this road
    I'm pickin' up whatever's mine.
    "Tom Petty...Runnin' Down A Dream...Full Moon Fever"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Fying the P40

I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Hadfield when I was out at Vintage Wings doing some documentary work.

Great friendly guy, just like he is in the video, but also totally professional.

He works for Canada's National Research Council... Canada's equivalent of US NASA.

His brother is Chris Hadfield, Canadian Astronaut who people may have seen playing his version of 'Space Oddity' on guitar at the International Space Station.

The aircraft is the Kittyhawk Mk III/P-40N... which is the version with the extra length added to the tail to improve stability.

As he mentioned, he is flying the aircraft at low boost/rpm cruise levels... never exceeds 2500 rpm even during aerobatics... and much of the time at 2200 rpm.

The only time he uses 3000 rpm is during takeoff, and event then he only uses 45 inches boost... the pre-war 87 octane max boost rating.

These aircraft are treated with kid gloves, there is no point in stressing anything and risking a failure.

4. Likes farley, ATAG_Knight, Baffin, ATAG_Torian liked this post